Hearts 0 Rangers 1, January 1950

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
21st January 1950, the great Iron Curtain team beat a good Hearts team 1-0 in front of over 49,000 at Tynecastle.
Forward Willie Findlay scoring the only goal.

Despite us only losing twice in the league all season, Rangers only won the title by a single point from the best team in Hibs history, who had the Famous Five in attack.

Almost 70 years ago, not the best picture quality, but then as now the biggest crowds wanted to see the Rangers, and the Rangers did what they do best. They won.

40 to 45 years ago I was in a pub with my old man and he introduced me to the above Willie (Banana) Findlay.Spent the afternoon talking about his time with us.

I love videos like that.

So many thoughts but the first few are:

Tynecastle looks bursting and that isn’t their record attendance- 4000 more in 32 when the bears visited

The shape of the terraces looks smaller then than when 29000 was the capacity when I started going

Rangers and Bheggars crowds are probably bigger on average than any time in history but where has the support gone from Hearts and Hibs since the 50s and Dundee since the 60s?

Scottish football is much the poorer for being a 2 horse race - although everyone outside of us seemingly enjoyed the 1 horse race for the last few years

Scottish football commentators should have done pot black “ for those watching in black and white the blue is next to the pink”

I love videos like that.

So many thoughts but the first few are:

Tynecastle looks bursting and that isn’t their record attendance- 4000 more in 32 when the bears visited

The shape of the terraces looks smaller then than when 29000 was the capacity when I started going

Rangers and Bheggars crowds are probably bigger on average than any time in history but where has the support gone from Hearts and Hibs since the 50s and Dundee since the 60s?

Scottish football is much the poorer for being a 2 horse race - although everyone outside of us seemingly enjoyed the 1 horse race for the last few years

Scottish football commentators should have done pot black “ for those watching in black and white the blue is next to the pink”

Compare to these days. A packed terracing, no fence, and only 1 policeman standing in front of them.
These days it would be 20 police and 30 stewards!

21st January 1950, the great Iron Curtain team beat a good Hearts team 1-0 in front of over 49,000 at Tynecastle.

Despite us only losing twice in the league all season, Rangers only won the title by a single point from the best team in Hibs history, who had the Famous Five in attack.

Almost 70 years ago, not the best picture quality, but then as now the biggest crowds wanted to see the Rangers, and the Rangers did what they do best. They won.

Tremendous, hard to believe nearly 50,000 in Tynecastle, just over 20,000 there when I went first in 1990 and it was rammed.

I love old videos like that. I well remember great games at Tynecastle in the 80s and 90s with 29,000 there and it seemed packed. It must have been amazing to be part of a near 50,000 crowd like that one.

l think the cup replay in 1968 had a crowd of 44,000. Unfortunately as it was a school night I was confined to barracks.
I can remember being part of 30,000+ crowds at Tynecastle in the early 70's.

:) :) never seen that before what a find

Did

Jimmy souness play for hearts team

l think the cup replay in 1968 had a crowd of 44,000. Unfortunately as it was a school night I was confined to barracks.
I can remember being part of 30,000+ crowds at Tynecastle in the early 70's.
The front page of the Scottish Daily Express had an edge to edge picture at the top of its front page (it was an old fashioned broadsheet publication) of Bears on the pitch, after Hearts scored to knock us out out. I was only 9 and wasn't there, but I remember that we were in the doghouse for a few days for our fans behaviour.

Last edited:
Back