Hearts 1 Rangers 3, September 1990

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
One from the archives.

The Rangers team from what turned out to our last season under Graeme Souness.

An opening goal from recent Dutch signing Pieter Huistra and 2 for the man with the golden boots.

I see we played McCoist, Hateley and Mojo that day, can't remember what formation we used to fit in the three of them. Massive English presence in the team with Woods, Stevens, Butcher, Hurlock, Spackman, Hateley and Walters. No wonder we hated the 3 foreigner rule in Europe!

Similar result tomorrow will be perfectly acceptable.

I was there that day, sitting on a barrier right behind the goals. Pretty sure McCoist deliberately nutmegged Smith for his first goal. His composure and confidence was so high at times.

Think so.

Johnston said one of the videos that he'd got on at Souness to stick with Ally behind the pair of them as he felt it hurt the opposition.

McCoist said the same in his book about Johnston speaking to Souness

I was there that day, sitting on a barrier right behind the goals. Pretty sure McCoist deliberately nutmegged Smith for his first goal. His composure and confidence was so high at times.
He certainly looks to have passed it through Smith's legs. Fantastic composure.

I'm another who was there that day. Good game. Huistra is rarely mentioned nowadays but he was a great wee player for what we paid for him.

I loved going through to Tynecastle back then. A pre and post match bevvy at the BMC Club just down the road from the ground (no hassle from the Hearts supporters who were in in force too) and usually a cracking game in between. The ground was usually packed too, 20-29,000 most times. Since I moved down to England I've not been back there. Are Bears still welcome in the BMC?

Back