Hearts fans’ tirade towards Leigh Griffiths symptomatic of football’s abuse culture problem, writes Bill Leckie

Griffiths was a few messages off receiving sexually explicit pictures of a minor, who knows where it could have gone from there, we can’t say, but we can say he was knowingly fishing for pictures of a minor. He deserves everything he gets. It’s mental this article is even put out at a time where so many people are working towards exposing noncery and finding justice for the victims. Trying to hide it behind a war on racism, homophobia etc is just sly, as pointed out if he wants to take that on he’s not short on ammo ref Morelos for example. If you didn’t know what Griffiths was up to you’d have thought he was some poor martyr reading that ffs, he was grooming a minor.

He shouldn’t be playing football right now to get that abuse he should be locked up for being a nonce not to mention kicking flares into Crowds of people

Scotland has become a very strange country.

Strachan was vilified and became persona non gratia in England when he compared shouting abuse at a paedophile to racism. And said it may come to the stage where fans are in trouble if they shout abuse at Adam Johnson.

Now Leckie actually doing just that in a national paper.

Absolutely mental.

What does he want a guard of honour for Griffith's every time he walks onto the pitch at an away game

"Welcome Leigh , you can do it! You can turn your life around, you Ned, terrorist supporting, nonce - we forgive you!"

That article is just an attack on Rangers FC. The left wing brigade demanding white British people have no rights whatsoever

I notice he never does a piece like this went Celtic fans are signing songs about terrorists on a weekly basis or hanging effigies of rangers supporters hanging from lengths of rope, it’s only big bad rangers who always get attacked.
So, I was at the game at the San Giro when the sex dolls were hung. Naively, I felt a line had been crossed and thought change may occur. I was also at the Scottish Cup Final where the HIV’s fans rioted and felt that Scottish football would clamp down.

How stupid could I be.

Scottish football is all about Rangers and the rest. It’s no longer about how the diddy sides do and Celtc. It’s all about the hatred and the the chase of Rangers.

He's not being abused for being "alive" Bill, he's abused because he's a dirty stinking paedophile who, instead of being dragged out of this game and thrown in a cell, he gets paedophile sympathisers like you painting him as some wee victim. He's a cancer in Scotland (one of many).

Leckie’s long winded article with all the various inferences about people from Columbia rule was worse than anything shouted at the weekend.

Honestly think that people in Scotland are being slowly conditioned into accepting pedo culture. Media tone and vibes from the SNP green coalition. Very strange place it will become. Be kind to pedos will be the mantra as they lower the age of consent. Gary glitter will be wanting a prison transfer to th BarL to be in Scotland for pedo enabler day.

Last edited:
Is his opening line a joke? Could it be any less appropriate to the argument he is making?

A racist footballer who groomed a minor and booted a lit flare into a crowd of fans, these actions, are less deplorable than the words Hearts fans sang?

If this is the argument Bill is making he is almost as disgusting a human being as the racist, paedo he is defending.

Did he?

Would be interesting to see a video of this.
it was on that that terrible mid 90’s late night Friday night show presented by Jim White. Really excruciating. Not sure if there is any clip available but I watched it and it was absolutely excruciating.

Does Leckie have children? How would he feel about a man private messaging them asking for photographs? By that article the man asking for photographs is in the right and it’s the child’s fault. Said this many a time but Leckie a scum bag!

I really believe that personal abuse of a player is beyond the pale, but I will make an exception in the case of Leigh Griffiths a Loathsome creature if there ever was one.

Leckie has made a living from criticising players, officials, and fans, yet in his world fans should not be allowed to do likewise at a game?

Looking forward to his article on John Needham’s vile online bile.
Was it Leckie who wrote an article about Morelos being a 'nasty piece of work'?

And just like that , Leckie joins the long list of Scottish journalists covering up paedos for the past 50 years

An abhorrent act 1000 times worse than any abuse hurled at a footballer on a Saturday afternoon

Insinuating calling a paedo a paedo is akin to bigotry is pretty nefarious behaviour by Leckie

Griffiths the victim here, who knew?

He's got a point, but only up to a point. Some of the abuse folk dish out to players goes way over the top at times and is mostly only done because there's an invisible wall of separation between the stand and the pitch that makes people think they have the right to say whatever they want, and is usually stuff that people would never even dream of saying to these players' faces. It's cowardly and it needs checked.

With that said, Leckie himself has been responsible for some proper hatchet jobs on our players (Alfredo in particular) so he's got a real cheek to talk about this stuff.

And to be honest if anyone does deserve it, it's Griffiths.

I won't read a Leckie article but can I assume he is writing about poor wee Griffiths being the abused not the abuser?

Drug abusing, reckless gambling, mysoginistic, child grooming racist gets a slagging and becomes the victim?

What odd wee causes Scotland's pretend journos like to defend or ignore.

What did Bill think of Leigh sex texting a 15 year old? Or the Celtic paedophilia scandal? Must have been a double page spread if he gets this upset over some football chants?
They must all be that way inclined because it doesnt seem to bother them. Peado bassas

He's picked the wrong man to defend on this one. Leigh Griffiths has made a name for himself by goading opposition fans whilst on the pitch and being an absolute scumbag off it. Even if the laws of this country can't see it, the good people amongst us do and let him know what we know. He deserves every bit of torment that comes his way because he's brought it all on himself with his own wilful behaviour.

The point about the abuse footballers get from the crowd is something that probably could be discussed somewhere down the line but this rat isn't the person to be triggering that conversation.

I notice he never does a piece like this went Celtic fans are signing songs about terrorists on a weekly basis or hanging effigies of rangers supporters hanging from lengths of rope, it’s only big bad rangers who always get attacked.

Not defending him in any way as I detest the wee rat bastard but he was the only Scottish ‘journalist’ that called out the Tim’s after their disgusting coughing during the minutes silence for the Ibrox disaster. Only those at the game heard the levels those scumbags stooped to

He’s still a lady's front bottom though

WE’RE brought up to believe that our actions in life will always speak louder than words.

It’s a proverb screwed up into a ball and volleyed over the main stand every week in Scottish football.

Because, no matter what actions we take to fight back against bigotry, they’re being drowned out like a whisper in a hurricane.

Sure, we wear the anti-racism T-shirts, we slap the stickers on our shirts, we wave the placards and we take the knee.

But what’s the point if when the whistle blows all bets are off on what we’re allowed to shout?

There’s no point, absolutely none. All those gestures, the campaigns — no matter how well-meaning — come to nothing if we then close our ears to the levels of sheer malice that way too many believe is their right to spew because they’ve paid for a ticket.

Truth is, we’re kidding ourselves if we believe racism is even close to being our game’s most serious attitude problem.

That line about a ticket giving some the right to dole out abuse came from Dundee frontman Jason Cummings on Saturday, after his equaliser against Hearts at Tynecastle had sparked a barrage of verbal and physical missiles.

But even his treatment was nothing compared to the merciless, brainless, tasteless treatment his team-mate Leigh Griffiths had suffered from the minute he trotted out to warm up.

The worst of it came from a section of the home support at the front of the main stand, who chanted over and over.

But even the majority who didn’t join in with their level of nastiness hit the guy with every insult imaginable.

It was all as brutal as it was needless — and when Cummings shook his head and sighed that what his mate had endured was “disgusting”, he was bang on.

I write this as someone who never shies away from criticising Griffiths on the many occasions when his conduct on and off the pitch lets him down.

But the thought of spending 90 minutes screaming hatred at anyone else just for being ALIVE . . . well, it simply doesn’t compute.

Yet that’s what we hear at almost every ground, almost every week, even if not often to the dark levels Griffiths has to endure on a regular basis.

That, as Cummings put it, is what comes as standard with the ticket.

It’s almost impossible to be more than a yard away from someone who crosses the line between raw passion and naked anger, between banter and bile.

You can’t watch a telly game without microphones picking up the kind of abuse some of my fellow St Mirren supporters hurled at pretty much everyone during our defeat to Rangers yesterday.

Shout the same stuff in the street within earshot of a cop and you’d be lifted in two seconds flat.

So why it’s acceptable in a crowd at a sporting event, no matter how upset we might be at losing, is way beyond me.

Then, of course, we have the Old Firm themselves, quite rightly getting bent out of shape when racism rears its hideous head — as it did recently when Glen Kamara was on the receiving end — yet looking at their shoes and whistling when it comes to the weekly sectarian karaoke sessions their own supporters subject the rest of us to.

I’ll keep repeating it until something gets done — replace “orange” and “19th Century Terrorist” with “black” in their songs and there would be questions asked in parliament before you could say bandwagon.

Holyrood would be demanding stadiums were shut as punishment, the SFA would be appointing a former player from each club as Anti-Sectarianism Czars.

We’ve seen that with racism, ever since the first players took a knee when the English Premier League came out of lockdown last summer.

There’s been a huge — and hugely impressive — push to drive the white-is-right brigade out of the game.

The knee’s become as much a part of matchday as the coin-toss, every suggestion of someone being harangued for the colour of their skin becomes a national issue, and quite right too.

Give people it tight about their religion, though? Ach, it’s just wur culture.

It’s society’s problem, not football’s. It’s been going on forever, we’ll never change them.

Then, most dispiriting of all, is the one I’ve heard for 30-odd years now: If you didn’t write about it, they wouldn’t do it.

The fact that this is the exact opposite of how we’re tackling the race issue is seemingly lost on sectarianism’s apologists.

It’s not just religious intolerance we allow to run free, though. It’s sexism, homophobia, it’s the kind of deeply personal insults players, bosses, directors and match officials are routinely told they need to suck up as “part of football”.

What went on at Tynecastle was a particularly unpleasant example of this, but what’s worse is that it was equally predictable.

What’s properly depressing is that it’ll more than likely happen again, at some other ground, tomorrow and the next day and at the weekend.

And what’s truly shameful is that stewards, police and fellow fans will more than likely do absolutely nothing about it.

Bill reaching new levels of nonsense. Seems to is wrong to boo and shout at a convicted racist and wannabee paedo.
What a car crash of an article.

So people shouting abuse at Griffiths, convicted thief, convicted racist, man who requests saucy photos of 15 year olds, is somehow linked to racism, which then somehow links to people shouting sectarian abuse. He also states that sectarian abuse (mentions both sides) isn’t taken as seriously in Scotland, whilst the pretend parliament went into meltdown about some people singing a song mocking plastic paddies yet completely ignored two cases of horrendous racism against one of our citizens and completely ignores constant glorification of sectarian terrorists whilst it is actually illegal to do so?

What a charade.

If Griffiths played for Rangers it would be open season , I'm fecking glad he doesnt and think we would have kicked him out the club years ago , But he's protected hence why he keeps getting in to trouble - He see's himself as a victim and the press and certain clubs enable him

Going to print and defend the roll model that is Lee Griffiths, says a lot about sad Bill,
predators deserve all they get and then some.

Leigh Griffiths is at the archetypical ned. If he wasn't playing he would be in the crowd singing the abuse. (when not hanging out at the school gates selling crack to 14 year old girls )
He deserves every piece of abuse he gets

Back