Hearts game - I make it eight teenagers on the field at one time

Seven at one time wasn’t it?

Devine, King, McCann, McKinnon, Lowry, McAusland and Weston?

It is very impressive though, and although you could tell the last two were maybe a wee bit behind in development from Lowry/King etc it’s definitely an exciting future
McCann is 20.

Just.

We are the Young Team!

Remember shouting that in my youth and battering all new comers.

Gallagate Mad Skwad ya Bass! Sad but true. (The barnies with the 'Spur and Torch' were life threatening mostly)

Glad I'm still here to speak of it.

I remember last game of 04 season or was it 02

Burke McCormack all playing. Will check

Nowhere near : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/3712321.stm

Bob Davidson on the bench

Could well be living memory stuff
02 was a 1-1 draw, again v Dunfermline. A few youngsters, but, definitely not as many as Saturday.

Rangers: McGregor, Vidmar, Moore (Latapy 73), Amoruso, Ross, Brighton (Mols 61), Nerlinger(Dowie 81), Malcolm, Burke, McCann, Dodds. Subs: Smith, Numan, Latapy, Mols, Dowie.

Seven at one time wasn’t it?

Devine, King, McCann, McKinnon, Lowry, McAusland and Weston?

It is very impressive though, and although you could tell the last two were maybe a wee bit behind in development from Lowry/King etc it’s definitely an exciting future

Amad as well.

I wonder who in the squad they asked to go in for their carryout, Arfield? B-D

What I loved was getting the young players in without having to change the system. Playing similar styles all through from the first team to the youth academies is excellent and it shows how important it is when the young players come on and they know exactly what role they have.
Something that Warburton done that goes under the radar.

He came in and had the academy teams playing possession based 4-3-3 for transition purposes

What I loved was getting the young players in without having to change the system. Playing similar styles all through from the first team to the youth academies is excellent and it shows how important it is when the young players come on and they know exactly what role they have.
The way it should be. I think Gerrard brought this in from Liverpool,

Can't remember us doing it in recent memory, the most pleasing thing wasn't you couldn't tell.

If anything we went up a gear.

I just watched away days on rtv and the build up to the third goal was just brilliant football.

I just watched away days on rtv and the build up to the third goal was just brilliant football.
It’s excellent. Passing is very confident and precise then McKinnon finds space where there shouldn’t really be any. The actual touch and finish is so calm and composed, you see so many of those chances being snatched at.

Started with

Devine -19
King -18
Amad -19
Lowry -18

Subbed off Amad - 61st minute
Subbed on

McCann -20 ( 45th min)
Weston -18 ( 71st min)
McCausland - 19 (61st min)
McKinnon - 19 (60th min)

So 6 teenagers on the field at one time.

Average age of our team at the final whistle was 21 1/2. And that’s with a 34 year old keeper. Excluding the keeper, I make it 20 1/5.

Lovely. Very pleasing to the eye.

Last edited:
We don’t play a high press. Haven’t for nearly two years now.

Anyway, not relevant. It was Warburton that got the philosophy going from first team to academy, so they all played the same way.

That’s the point I was making.
Okay we can disagree. Gerrard brought the whole "we all play one way" from Liverpool. I think the press has been high and Gio stopped that, and that affected us for a good period, but we have a varied intensity now based on who is available. Warburton was very organised, but a one trick pony, Gerrard was raw but brought that whole Anfield ethos, Gio has brought the Dutch ethos of trusting the squad because he knew he was not cash rich. We are seeing a proper revolution, nothing Warburton did is visible at the club now. It's okay to disagree mate, not a problem for me.

The passing for the 3rd goal, back to front, wow. Better than our first team squad at times this year!
Watched sportscene , Micheal Stewart couldn’t bring himself to wax lyrical or even mention the performance of Devine.
He looked shell shocked .
Wait until he witnesses, Lowry play a historical role in the most decorated European achievement in the history of Scottish football.

Okay we can disagree. Gerrard brought the whole "we all play one way" from Liverpool. I think the press has been high and Gio stopped that, and that affected us for a good period, but we have a varied intensity now based on who is available. Warburton was very organised, but a one trick pony, Gerrard was raw but brought that whole Anfield ethos, Gio has brought the Dutch ethos of trusting the squad because he knew he was not cash rich. We are seeing a proper revolution, nothing Warburton did is visible at the club now. It's okay to disagree mate, not a problem for me.
I’m not sure how there can be a disagreement?

GF4 mentioned it’s nice to see academy teams play the same style as the senior side.

Warburton was literally the first manager in years to make sure the academy sides played the same as first team.

That’s what I was saying to GF4.

Gerrard and Gio aren’t relevant here.

Anyway, enjoy your night mate :))

Continually playing against boys the same age doesn't help a young players football progression. The Rangers B-Team playing in the lowland league has helped and will continue to help our young players enormously.

I’m not sure how there can be a disagreement?

GF4 mentioned it’s nice to see academy teams play the same style as the senior side.

Warburton was literally the first manager in years to make sure the academy sides played the same as first team. That’s what I was saying to GF4.

Gerrard and Gio aren’t relevant here.
There's the disagreement. Who from Warburtons time has climbed the academy? Who from Gerrard's? Given time the number from Gio will be bigger, but sadly if we win the EL he will become a target for an EPL club, so maybe not.

Continually playing against boys the same age doesn't help a young players football progression. The Rangers B-Team playing in the lowland league has helped and will continue to help our young players enormously.
Totally agree, I also think that these boys need a chance to evolve more. They are better than the Lowland League though.

There's the disagreement. Who from Warburtons time has climbed the academy? Who from Gerrard's? Given time the number from Gio will be bigger, but sadly if we win the EL he will become a target for an EPL club, so maybe not.
You’re making a point that no one else was?

GF4 mentioned about a consistent style from first team to academy, which was something Warburton implement in 2015 :))

Anyway, no point debating it. Have a good night mate.

Lowland league has helped massively. Done the players (and club) a world of good.

Think it’s actually been more beneficial than the club thought it would

You’re making a point that no one else was?

GF4 mentioned about a consistent style from first team to academy, which was something Warburton implement in 2015 :))

Anyway, no point debating it. Have a good night mate.
Mate, I'm glad you're finding an argument for Warburton, who is a great footballing theorist, but not so great practically. Would rather have this chat over a beer though :))

Spoke to you the other day about the age thing, it’s far too vague. The club will play it the same as they did last season though, U19s.

I think....
Would be really poor if it wasn’t the same as last season. Was surprised that it was only Hearts outwith us/Celtic that applied for the guest club spot, expected Hibs to do it with how well their U18s are doing.

Would be really poor if it wasn’t the same as last season. Was surprised that it was only Hearts outwith us/Celtic that applied for the guest club spot, expected Hibs to do it with how well their U18s are doing.
Was told the LL were only letting 3 in this year.

Think a few of the other sides weren’t expecting anyone else to apply other than us and them. Which is mental, as I’d thought the two Edinburgh sides would want in.
Could be guff, of course.

Average age of starting line up- 26 (combined 288)

That’s with 5 starters over 30

Average age of full time line up- 21 (combined 236; only over 30 at end was McLaughlin)

Hoping we see more of the young team in 1st team next season

I remember reading with a lot of excitement about the efforts to get the 'Colts' into the lower leagues. From our own perspective in giving our players real experience against gritty sides and proper leagues. Very progressive thinking from the club (and that lot it has to be conceded)
Also for the other league clubs as well as they would benefit from more interest to their league, grounds, uplift in fans perhaps.
Spoke to a non Rangers fan work colleague of mine who is quite up of youngster development thinking surely even he can see the benefit to Scottish football in this?
The bile and misunderstanding I got regarding how ridiculous it was that is being allowed etc really shocked me. Very much seems to me that other fans of Scottish Football would rather hate themselves and us to the detriment of the game than see progression.

Saturday last game against Hearts with so many youngsters not looking out of place has surely got to be a demonstration that our persistence in pursuing this youth strategy is working.

Totally agree, I also think that these boys need a chance to evolve more. They are better than the Lowland League though.
I recently suggested that we should loan out some of the kids to Kevin Thomson’s team, Kelly or wherever he goes next.
This’ll be a couple of divisions better than the Lowland and I’d hope Thomson would be able to work with these lads and teach them how we are playing.

Read this a few times now and it’s left me wondering how it can be so given how many different systems GvB employs in games, sometimes even in one game.

Some crisp accurate passing, good movement and pattern play with a confidence and maturity beyond their years! A joy to watch, the future is bright!

Back