Hearts game - I make it eight teenagers on the field at one time

I really believe we’re on our way to be talking about the class of 2022.

We don’t need to fill our squad with average fillers, have belief in the lads, upgrade the first team significantly and use our academy, we have a fantastic crop coming through.

Must admit wasn’t keen in too many changes when I saw the starting lineup. Worried we wouldn’t win and what that could do to moral going into Wednesday but also that it would give hearts a big boost for Saturday. Against any other club I’d have been more positive

Glad to say GVB was right and i was wrong. What are the chances of that lol

Levels! We play the kids the 3rd best team in this tin pot country play their best 11....we win 3-1

Hearts are and will always be an irrelevance

Some crisp accurate passing, good movement and pattern play with a confidence and maturity beyond their years! A joy to watch, the future is bright!
This is what I noticed most.

Forgive me but I expected things to be sloppy and we'd be poor. But what a game our youngsters played. It gives me great confidence in our academy and future. Well fucking done lads!

This is what I noticed most.

Forgive me but I expected things to be sloppy and we'd be poor. But what a game our youngsters played. It gives me great confidence in our academy and future. Well fucking done lads!

Nae fear... that's the game they stepped out and slapped a mediocre hearts team down. They are every bit ready to represent the bears

Started with

Devine -19
King -18
Amad -19
Lowry -18

Subbed off Amad - 61st minute
Subbed on

McCann -20 ( 45th min)
Weston -18 ( 71st min)
McCausland - 19 (61st min)
McKinnon - 19 (60th min)

So 6 teenagers on the field at one time.

Average age of our team at the final whistle was 21 1/2. And that’s with a 34 year old keeper. Excluding the keeper, I make it 20 1/5.

Lovely. Very pleasing to the eye.
King at 18 is hugely encouraging, so comfortable looking at first team level, Lowry just exudes confidence, and what a debut and goal from Cambuslangs finest. :)

Read this a few times now and it’s left me wondering how it can be so given how many different systems GvB employs in games, sometimes even in one game.
I mean that when players come in they know the job. For example we didn’t have to change system just to get the best out our young players. They all learn the same as the first team players so they are ready for the first teams. No point coaching the youth a different set up so that when they need to step up they have to learn something new.

I loved the fact that two teenagers showed Scotlands player of the year and the Scotland international goalkeeper no respect and effortlessly smashed two past him.

Not one of those youngsters looked out of place.

It proves the 'B Team' works, the young players are ready to step up having gained experience playing against men.

The SFA and SPL should see this and jump on it. Teams should be shifted up through the leagues and B teams put in, in there place. It would bring revenue to smaller clubs, drop the "split" and improve the game in Scotland by bringing through our own players.

But no, we want it this way.

Blows my mind.

The thing that stood out for me was their confidence and how comfortable they were. We have all seen young players come on and be a bit erratic, you see little moments of gold that you think there is a player in there unlike Ferguson first time I seen him I knew there was a player, his confidence and swagger. Most of these players have what Ferguson had, this inner believe and swagger to think they are good enough for the first team. Lowry has it in buckets, same with King.

I think King, Lowry and Devine are going to save us a fortune and potentially make us a fortune.

The B team playing in the lowland league has really helped all these players. There’s nothing better to bring along development than playing against men rather than boys at youth level. I think that’s where the confidence came from that you could see in all the players.

Andy Halliday of Hearts has more Rangers appearances than the Rangers team that finished the game combined.

Back