Hearts reject Rangers bid for Kyle Lafferty

Yes I did and still do. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to stop the signing of the previous traitors who left us in our hour of need. Some people on here have very short memories, I myself will never forgive or forget who wronged our club back then, I'll still support my club through thick and thin as always, but will never cheer those individuals.

Away with yourself.

They did not wrong the club, in manner in which you are saying.

Murray, Whyte, Green, et all wronged our club. They put us in the position of having to sell to shysters, having to go into administration, appointing dodgy Administrators who didn't want to sell key assets to pay HMRC for the Tax bill that put us in liquidation.

The majority of these guys took a 50% pay cut to stay at the club, then we got demoted and they took their option to leave for their career as the majority of them were in the peak of their career. The only issue I have with them is the comments made by Naismith and Whittaker. They were wrong and ill advised.

You are an international player, earning 25k a week and your lifestyle, bills etc match that lifestyle. The company that own your club are liquidated and your club registration is moved to the lowest division of one of the worst national leagues in europe and you at this point will probably have to drop to 5k a week. Its not hardship stuff but you have offers to go to England, Italy to pay you more than your current pay plus a nice signing on fee, you are not going to stay at Rangers, you are not going to risk of no one making a bid for you and if you have dealt with Green and are not convinced that that money will be re-invested in the club.

Administrators should have sold our key assets during administration, those guys looked after themselves financially, their career and their family. Like every sane person would do.

We are bidding for a player that is desperate to sign for us and in the last year of his contract, yet some of the top negotiators on here want us to just give Hearts what they want!? I'd love to do business with some of you :D

Some people will never learn and would have us wasting another £200-300k in order to save 2 or 3 days of negotiating. We are trying to get the best possible value for money and it is the correct thing to do, especially for a player that will start kicking up a fuss if bids continue to be rejected, who plays for a club that will be panicking we walk away as they need the money and would be left with a very unhappy player.

Hopefully if we end up getting him for £400k, some of the posters screaming for us to go in today with £600k+ will come back on and admit they were wrong.

I don't really get where the "he'll score goals" narrative comes from. He's 30 and has had 1 prolific season in his career.
Agreed. Stats for league appearances and goals - hardly inspiring !!! I've never really rated the guy. Gerrard being badly advised IMO.

Team Apps (Gls)
2005–2008
Burnley 83 (10)
2006Darlington (loan) 9 (3)
2008–2012 Rangers 104 (31)
2012–2013 Sion 25 (5)
2013–2014 Palermo 34 (11)
2014–2017 Norwich City 31 (2)
2015Çaykur Rizespor (loan) 14 (2)
2016Birmingham City (loan) 6 (1)
2017– Heart of Midlothian 35 (12)

341 league appearances in 13 years
77 league goals in 13 years.............average of 6 a season !!!

Away with yourself.

Murray, Whyte, Green, et all wronged our club. They put us in the position of having to sell to shysters, having to go into administration, appointing dodgy Administrators who didn't want to sell key assets to pay HMRC for the Tax bill that put us in liquidation.

The majority of these guys took a 50% pay cut to stay at the club, then we got demoted and they took their option to leave for their career as the majority of them were in the peak of their career. The only issue I have with them is the comments made by Naismith and Whittaker. They were wrong and ill advised.

You are an international player, earning 25k a week and your lifestyle, bills etc match that lifestyle. The company that own your club are liquidated and your club registration is moved to the lowest division of one of the worst national leagues in europe and you at this point will probably have to drop to 5k a week. Its not hardship stuff but you have offers to go to England, Italy to pay you more than your current pay plus a nice signing on fee, you are not going to stay at Rangers, you are not going to risk of no one making a bid for you and if you have dealt with Green and are not convinced that that money will be re-invested in the club.

Administrators should have sold our key assets during administration, those guys looked after themselves financially, their career and their family. Like every sane person would do.
Let’s not forget either the club would not have seen a single penny of any transfer fees.that would have disappeared into the pockets of green et al.green would have had kittens if the players had all tuped over.

Does it? I disagree.
I'd say there's far more relevance in saying Lafferty has won titles with us before than there is to now say we'll never win a title with Lafferty.

And who's to say Katić, Goldson, Coulibaly, Arfield and Morelos can't have a similar impact as the names you mention?

Point taken - but if we are acknowledging that Lafferty is a very different player to what we had last time it's important to keep some perspective on the players he had around him at that time too.

I’m in 2 minds about Lafferty however one thing is for certain he won’t meekly roll over and take a beating from that mob like the shitbags last season.
We need fighters in the team and he will give us that in spades

Yes I did and still do. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to stop the signing of the previous traitors who left us in our hour of need. Some people on here have very short memories, I myself will never forgive or forget who wronged our club back then, I'll still support my club through thick and thin as always, but will never cheer those individuals.

What a silly view to take.

In Gerrard we trust....

I wasn't the biggest fan of him first time round, but you'd have to be crazy to argue that our squad wouldn't be stronger with him as a part of it. Besides, if we got him for under 500K, that's not a bad bit of business given the level of rebuilding needed.

Agreed. Stats for league appearances and goals - hardly inspiring !!! I've never really rated the guy. Gerrard being badly advised IMO.

Team Apps (Gls)
2005–2008
Burnley 83 (10)
2012–2013 Sion 25 (5)

Morelos on fire early in the season, Lafferty with his 6 a season in the last 5 games. We just need someone now who can fill the gap between Jan and March. :D

£350,000 final offer, then walk away.

You wanted international players to play in the fourth division of Scottish football???

Away with yourself.

Mate I’ve explained your point before, sadly it falls on deaf ears (eyes) for some! They are just to staunch to understand that some have families, mortgages, careers etc etc

Team Apps (Gls)
2005–2008
Burnley 83 (10)
2012–2013 Sion 25 (5)

I'm not really fussed if he signs or not, and i don't think anyone thinks we're talking the second coming of Hateley here, however even your stats above show he scores goals.

1 in 3 roughly for us, Hearts and Palermo and he undoubtedly lost his way around the time he was a Norwich. Remember also he was often played on the left early in his career.

for the money he represents value, he's probably in the best form of his career.

Are you having him back bud?

I would have been for it if he came in instead of Sadiq, but given that's done, I was hoping for someone who walks into the XI and improves it right away

Lafferty doesn't get a game for us when everyone is fit

I think for the fee he's a no brainer. I think he'll contribute a lot to this Rangers side. Morelos is still very inconsistent, Sadiq looks mental, some unreal attributes but other aspects of his game? :eek:

Put it this way, going to The Piggery in 5 weeks who are you putting the mortgage on to bury that one on one with the keeper, Lafferty, Morelos or Sadiq? Who would keep their composure in that situation?

I know who my money would be on.

Last edited:
I’m in 2 minds about Lafferty however one thing is for certain he won’t meekly roll over and take a beating from that mob like the shitbags last season.
We need fighters in the team and he will give us that in spades
Which is an improvement - He was an utter shitebag first time round.

Or they could get a good season with KL and he leaves next summer with their well wishes. If he has a shite season then he won't be at Ibrox any time in the future.

I don't see how Budge is in trouble here or how its any different to the Walker saga. Rangers wanted Walker, did he end up at Rangers? Nope.

It’s the typical issue of any player in the final year of contract - performances always drop off once they know that they have somewhere else lined up. Why risk injury? Plus denying a player the move that they desperately want is never going to aid performance. Walker’s performances were pretty poor start of last season. That’s not even saying that the player throws a strop. It’s just normal psychology.

If this was anyone but us, Hearts would be easy to deal with as they have few good options.

Walker didn’t end up at us. But he played fairly shite for hearts then got offloaded for less than we offered. Budge is more than welcome to do that again. We don’t desperately need Lafferty. But it’s not exactly smart if we put in a reasonable offer which is probably not far north of where we are now.

Would be the only reason to place such a bid , surely

If there was a buyout clause then i’d have thought that we’d have heard by now. I think it is probably just a degree of trolling. Hearts were pricks to us before. So if we’ve been ‘advised’ we’d have to go “above £300k” to progress the talks then we’ve come in with this.

I doubt they’ll accept it. But then they weren’t going to accept £350k either as our second bid. We’re just saying that, if you are going to play silly buggers again then so will we.

If there was a buyout clause then i’d have thought that we’d have heard by now. I think it is probably just a degree of trolling. Hearts were pricks to us before. So if we’ve been ‘advised’ we’d have to go “above £300k” to progress the talks then we’ve come in with this.

I doubt they’ll accept it. But then they weren’t going to accept £350k either as our second bid. We’re just saying that, if you are going to play silly buggers again then so will we.
Possibly ,only made my comment on the basis that the bid was real .

Who knows where we are in reality.

One thing is true though , whenever we try to deal with another Scottish side it is never straight forward.

I'm not really fussed if he signs or not, and i don't think anyone thinks we're talking the second coming of Hateley here, however even your stats above show he scores goals.

1 in 3 roughly for us, Hearts and Palermo and he undoubtedly lost his way around the time he was a Norwich. Remember also he was often played on the left early in his career.

for the money he represents value, he's probably in the best form of his career.

It’s always hard to tell.

Someone posted one of those advanced stats moneyball type things about him suggesting that, for the type of positions he gets into and shots he pulls off, he scored a crazy high % last year.

One view of that is that he is on fire, playing better than stats show. Another view is that he had a fluke of a season and regression to the mean would suggest that he’ll be way poorer next year.

I think he’ll be a useful squad addition. Not really worth fussing over but if we can get him cheap, he’ll add to our options

Moult left Motherwell for 500K

Fair enough but Moult wanted a move back to England so slightly different circumstances and that situation could have potentially ruled us out.

I also doubt Motherwell would have dealt with us so favourably.

As much as i like him,plus the fact he is a ulsterman and a true blue etc, he just is not a very good footballer.

I reckon Gerrard could find better, i watched him for hearts last season, and i know this will annoy folk on here, i would much rather have his team mate who is a all round better player naismith

(incoming)

Team Apps (Gls)
2008–2012
Rangers 104 (31)

His 4 seasons in Scotland are almost double that, with close to 1 goal in 3 games. For the money we are paying, that's not too shabby.

Sadiq & Morelos are both physical strikers, who can put it about a bit. In Scotland, especially if we are challenging for trophies, that will inevitably lead to a rash of cards and suspensions, as well as injuries.

Signing Lafferty who can play a similar physical game and provide cover, without losing our shape or formation, for a minimal fee, is a sensible move.

His 4 seasons in Scotland are almost double that, with close to 1 goal in 3 games. For the money we are paying, that's not too shabby.

Sadiq & Morelos are both physical strikers, who can put it about a bit. In Scotland, especially if we are challenging for trophies, that will inevitably lead to a rash of cards and suspensions, as well as injuries.

Signing Lafferty who can play a similar physical game and provide cover, without losing our shape or formation, for a minimal fee, is a sensible move.
You make some fair points mate.

I just can't buy into the thought of Kyle Lafferty returning to our club mate - when we want to be making genuine progress. If we do get him then we still need another striker IMO. Someone more in the Jermaine Defoe mould. Lafferty has to only be used as emergency cover if he comes.

Morelos on fire early in the season, Lafferty with his 6 a season in the last 5 games. We just need someone now who can fill the gap between Jan and March. :D

we're covered , don't tell anybody

2i9qzh2.jpg

We are bidding for a player that is desperate to sign for us and in the last year of his contract, yet some of the top negotiators on here want us to just give Hearts what they want!? I'd love to do business with some of you :D

Some people will never learn and would have us wasting another £200-300k in order to save 2 or 3 days of negotiating. We are trying to get the best possible value for money and it is the correct thing to do, especially for a player that will start kicking up a fuss if bids continue to be rejected, who plays for a club that will be panicking we walk away as they need the money and would be left with a very unhappy player.

Hopefully if we end up getting him for £400k, some of the posters screaming for us to go in today with £600k+ will come back on and admit they were wrong.

I think you’re right Rudiger - for me 400-450 can seal it

You make some fair points mate.

I just can't buy into the thought of Kyle Lafferty returning to our club mate - when we want to be making genuine progress. If we do get him then we still need another striker IMO. Someone more in the Jermaine Defoe mould. Lafferty has to only be used as emergency cover if he comes.

I agree MB - I’m not against him as cover for a long season but I had hoped it would be only as a 4th striker after a Defoe / Defoe type, an out & out goal scorer.

Back