Hearts reject Rangers bid for Kyle Lafferty

As much as i like him,plus the fact he is a ulsterman and a true blue etc, he just is not a very good footballer.

I reckon Gerrard could find better, i watched him for hearts last season, and i know this will annoy folk on here, i would much rather have his team mate who is a all round better player naismith

(incoming)

Naismith was absolutely dreadful for Hearts against us, the vast majority were saying at the time we are glad we never signed him as he looked finished, Lafferty on the other hand was causing havoc and playing well and scoring against us and the mhanks, there is no question whatsoever that Lafferty would be a far better signing than Naismith.

Yes I did and still do. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to stop the signing of the previous traitors who left us in our hour of need. Some people on here have very short memories, I myself will never forgive or forget who wronged our club back then, I'll still support my club through thick and thin as always, but will never cheer those individuals.

You are spot on!

Nobody expected them all to stay at a massive pay cut but they could have left and got us a transfer fee, they all decided to take a large signing on fee instead and leave us in the shit, I can't believe how short people's memories are!

They f****d us over in a way that we nearly never recovered from and arguably we haven't fully recovered from, they wouldn't have come back if we were in the championship , they want to leave,ignore us for 6 years and now that it's looking good again they want to return ?

And the amount of people on here that wanted Davis back a few weeks ago was also mental, that man is a scumbag a selfish turncoat !

Lafferty was rotten the first time around barring a few goals at the end of the season when he could be bothered.

You are spot on!

Nobody expected them all to stay at a massive pay cut but they could have left and got us a transfer fee, they all decided to take a large signing on fee instead and leave us in the shit, I can't believe how short people's memories are!

They f****d us over in a way that we nearly never recovered from and arguably we haven't fully recovered from, they wouldn't have come back if we were in the championship , they want to leave,ignore us for 6 years and now that it's looking good again they want to return ?

And the amount of people on here that wanted Davis back a few weeks ago was also mental, that man is a scumbag a selfish turncoat !

Lafferty was rotten the first time around barring a few goals at the end of the season when he could be bothered.

Who do you think would have benefited from any transfer fees? The club, or the spivs?

Who do you think would have benefited from any transfer fees? The club, or the spivs?

At the time of their leaving nobody really knew how bad things were going to get with spivs taking money, we were reduced to signing Fran sandaza and Kevin Kyle so signings were being made, we probably would've got a class above that had we received the massive amount of transfer money we lost out on.

A percentage would've undoubtedly been taken by the spivs but this wasn't clear at the time, nobody foresaw what was going to happen.
Nobody left saying to hell with them they're gonna steal the money anyway, they left to feather their own nest at our expense and others can forgive but I certainly won't.

We thought that with jamie walker
In fairness the club took a stance with Walker,and not before time imo either.
Hertz are now aware of how we intend to conduct business in that vein,and can choose to lose half the value of an asset again or play ball reasonably.
I’m not really arsed either way over a striker who would be third choice at best behind Morelos and Sadiq

You are spot on!

We could of sold Lafferty for £10m and we wouldn’t of saw a penny because Green and his dodgy mates would of taken it right out the back door along with the £20m odd that went with the IPO.

For years I was angry at the likes of Lafferty and Davis. Now, I just think to myself what good would have transfer fees or them staying have done us, or them for that matter.

The only two I will never forgive is Naismith and Whittaker.
Without going over old ground, I don’t harbour any grudge to the vast majority of players that left. Remember who they were dealing with on “our” side.

I agree Naismith and Whittaker are different cases. However, I think it’s clear they were badly advised for that press conference.

The difference is Naismith was a Rangers fan and has shown contrition. Whittaker is bringing up his kids as Celtic fans.

At the time of their leaving nobody really knew how bad things were going to get with spivs taking money, we were reduced to signing Fran sandaza and Kevin Kyle so signings were being made, we probably would've got a class above that had we received the massive amount of transfer money we lost out on.

A percentage would've undoubtedly been taken by the spivs but this wasn't clear at the time, nobody foresaw what was going to happen.
Nobody left saying to hell with them they're gonna steal the money anyway, they left to feather their own nest at our expense and others can forgive but I certainly won't.

Maybe the players themselves knew what was going on?

You make some fair points mate.

I just can't buy into the thought of Kyle Lafferty returning to our club mate - when we want to be making genuine progress. If we do get him then we still need another striker IMO. Someone more in the Jermaine Defoe mould. Lafferty has to only be used as emergency cover if he comes.

I agree and he would never have been my first choice (or even in my top 10), but as a £300k squad player, I reckon it would be a good bit of business.

We have spent a lot more and brought in better quality than I expected this season and with the going rate for an English Championship striker appearing to be circa £10m and out of our reach, we have to work within our limitations.

For the money, he is as good as we will get. Purely for getting the new players (and last seasons cowards) into the right frame of mind for games against that lot, if nothing else.

You may be right.

But we are back to the fact that proven experienced strikers aren’t cheap. Dembélé and Edouard are both unproven. One cost £9mill. And I wonder if Fulham knew what a crock the other was when they sold him.

Why do you think that your expected £4mill striker will be better than Sadiq or Solanke? Or Morelos? Is it because he costs more? Because if so then we are in a bit of a loop because you are simultaneously trying to argue that bargains are possible and cost doesn’t matter.

If Gerrard and Allen become aware of a striking sensation that we can get, then i’m sure that they’ll buy him. Until then, i’ll trust their judgement on balance of risks. And I do not think an experienced proven finisher is easy to acquire on our budget. Certainly not better than the one(s) we already have.

I'm not sure what it is you're failing to understand here mate.

I've not said anywhere that £4m will get us a better striker than Sadiq or Solanke, what I have said is that £4m got us Jelavic eight years ago at 24 years old from the Croatian league who went onto have a very successful Rangers career. Dembele less than £1m etc.

And so what I'm suggesting is that we can get a very good striker for £3-4m, even today.

I have already conceded that signing overseas players is risky and there are no certainties, but what's clear is that there is far more value and exciting young prospects than there is here in the SPL.

I also don't believe in signing "proven" players, proven where? And when? What I want to see is us invest some money into a striker who has been scouted appropriately, who is better than what we have and who is likely to give us a good re-sell value.

I don't know who these players are, there are literally thousands of potential targets but what I do know, or believe at least, is that someone like Kyle Lafferty isn't going to help us move forward and that is my point.

If we're serious about mounting a title challenge this year, we need to be signing better than Lafferty, and Morelos.

Last edited:
You are spot on!

In what way is Steven Davis a "scumbag" and "selfish turncoat"?

Pretty sure we got a fee for both Davis,and possibly,John Fleck,although,the money was vastly less than what they were worth.

Again,to my knowledge,the SFA withheld these fees along with around £2m in prize money for coming in 2nd the previous season.

Without going over old ground, I don’t harbour any grudge to the vast majority of players that left. Remember who they were dealing with on “our” side.

I agree Naismith and Whittaker are different cases. However, I think it’s clear they were badly advised for that press conference.

The difference is Naismith was a Rangers fan and has shown contrition. Whittaker is bringing up his kids as Celtic fans.
Never knew that about Whittaker.

Did Lafferty play a part in us winning 3 in a row - Yes
Was Lafferty a good squad player back then - Yes
Is Lafferty too old to contribute now - No, hes only 30
Are we buying Lafferty to be our main striker - No
Is Lafferty as staunch as they come and will fight for the badge - Yes
Has he just scored more goals than he ever did for us in the SPL this year - Yes
Will he cost us anywhere close to a lot of money - No
If he was good enough for Walter when he had doubters in a title winning team, then he's surely good enough for what we are after now as we don't need to be anywhere near the standard we were back then considering how far the league in general has regressed. Get the Ulter Gazelle back at Ibrox now i say.

Did Lafferty play a part in us winning 3 in a row - Yes
Was Lafferty a good squad player back then - Yes
Is Lafferty too old to contribute now - No, hes only 30
Are we buying Lafferty to be our main striker - No
Is Lafferty as staunch as they come and will fight for the badge - Yes
Has he just scored more goals than he ever did for us in the SPL this year - Yes
Will he cost us anywhere close to a lot of money - No
If he was good enough for Walter when he had doubters in a title winning team, then he's surely good enough for what we are after now as we don't need to be anywhere near the standard we were back then considering how far the league in general has regressed. Get the Ulter Gazelle back at Ibrox now i say.

Now that's a convincing case right there sir. Quick. Email MA with that simple logic.

I'm in.

He's 7 foot.
An he plays the Flute!

I'm not sure what it is you're failing to understand here mate.

I've not said anywhere that £4m will get us a better striker than Sadiq or Solanke, what I have said is that £4m got us Jelavic eight years ago at 24 years old from the Croatian league who went onto have a very successful Rangers career. Dembele less than £1m etc.

And so what I'm suggesting is that we can get a very good striker for £3-4m, even today.

I have already conceded that signing overseas players is risky and there are no certainties, but what's clear is that there is far more value and exciting young prospects than there is here in the SPL.

I also don't believe in signing "proven" players, proven where? And when? What I want to see is us invest some money into a striker who has been scouted appropriately, who is better than what we have and who is likely to give us a good re-sell value.

I don't know who these players are, there are literally thousands of potential targets but what I do know, or believe at least, is that someone like Kyle Lafferty isn't going to help us move forward and that is my point.

If we're serious about mounting a title challenge this year, we need to be signing better than Lafferty, and Morelos.

Lafferty is not being bought as our main striker. He is being bought as a back up. Or the back up to our back up. His cost if £500k will make zero difference to the funds available for a prestige signing.

If we are getting Solanke on loan then any player that we buy would have to be better than him to be worth buying.

You say that you want someone better than Morelos. Who was exactly the sort of signing that you describe. I believe Morelos will be back to being worth £10mill plus. But even most of his detractors would agree that he is worth north of £4mill today. So again, i’m not sure why you think it will be straightforward to get a £4mill man better than he is.

A £4mill striker will be a gamble. We are not in a financial position to easily take such gambles. Jelavic was a decade ago!

Lafferty is not being bought as our main striker. He is being bought as a back up. Or the back up to our back up. His cost if £500k will make zero difference to the funds available for a prestige signing.

If we are getting Solanke on loan then any player that we buy would have to be better than him to be worth buying.

You say that you want someone better than Morelos. Who was exactly the sort of signing that you describe. I believe Morelos will be back to being worth £10mill plus. But even most of his detractors would agree that he is worth north of £4mill today. So again, i’m not sure why you think it will be straightforward to get a £4mill man better than he is.

A £4mill striker will be a gamble. We are not in a financial position to easily take such gambles. Jelavic was a decade ago!

You've asked me several times who I think we should sign for £4m, and I'm telling you quite honestly I don't know because I'm unfortunately not working as a full-time scout nor do I have enough spare time to watch every single league in Europe to come up with any suggestions, nor should I have to.

In any case, what I am saying, again, is that our next striker needs to be better than Morelos and Lafferty. That might be a £500k striker or a £4m striker, but it is not Lafferty and it can't be Morelos. I mentioned £4m because it is what got us a very, very good striker eight years ago and even today could no doubt get us a better striker than Morelos and Lafferty.

If rumours are to be believed, Hearts want upwards of £500k for Lafferty and he's currently on £15k a week - he's hardly an inexpensive option.

Where is this prestige signing?

Your early season budget predictions are looking well short.

You've asked me several times who I think we should sign for £4m, and I'm telling you quite honestly I don't know because I'm unfortunately not working as a full-time scout nor do I have enough spare time to watch every single league in Europe to come up with any suggestions, nor should I have to.

If you're asking for attributes? I'd suggest a striker who is under 25 years old, has some International experience and has ideally scored at least 15-20 goals in the last few seasons they've played.

In any case, what I am saying, again, is that our next striker needs to be better than Morelos and Lafferty. That might be a £500k striker or a £4m striker, but it is not Lafferty and it can't be Morelos. I mentioned £4m because it is what got us a very, very good striker eight years ago and even today could no doubt get us a better striker than Morelos and Lafferty.

If rumours are to be believes, Hearts want upwards of £500k for Lafferty and he's currently on £15k a week - he's hardly an inexpensive option.

If they want north of £500k then they can bugger off. Lafferty should not be a big signing. But he’s a perfectly fine squad addition. You keep saying that you have no idea who this player is but that ‘no doubt’ he exists. Why does he ‘no doubt’ exist? Morelos is a fairly high bar to clear. And a bar worth more (probably substantially more) than £4mill.

You may be right that your man exists. But he is not easy to find. Even with excellent scouting, odds will probably be against. And then the more reactionary fans (the ones who think it’ll be easy to find someone better than Morelos) will turn on the player.

I think Morelos, Sadiq and hopefully Solanke will be a very useful rotating forward line. Lafferty would be a very acceptable bench warmer. Funds are being channelled elsewhere for now. And that will hopefully let us spend serious money on a striker more guaranteed further down the line.

Honestly mate, 23 year old full internationalists who are scoring 20 goals a season for 2-3 years (ie since they were 20!) are not going for £4mill.

Where is this prestige signing?

Your early season budget predictions are looking well short.

Not here yet.

I predicted 1. There are 4 weeks left.

I could easily be wrong. Just like you usually are. It’s purely guesswork. If they don’t come i’ll be disappointed but still pretty damn pleased with how the guys we have got seem to be performing. I’d be hoping that they keep it up.

If they want north of £500k then they can bugger off. Lafferty should not be a big signing. But he’s a perfectly fine squad addition. You keep saying that you have no idea who this player is but that ‘no doubt’ he exists. Why does he ‘no doubt’ exist? Morelos is a fairly high bar to clear. And a bar worth more (probably substantially more) than £4mill.

You may be right that your man exists. But he is not easy to find. Even with excellent scouting, odds will probably be against. And then the more reactionary fans (the ones who think it’ll be easy to find someone better than Morelos) will turn on the player.

I think Morelos, Sadiq and hopefully Solanke will be a very useful rotating forward line. Lafferty would be a very acceptable bench warmer. Funds are being channelled elsewhere for now. And that will hopefully let us spend serious money on a striker more guaranteed further down the line.

Honestly mate, 23 year old full internationalists who are scoring 20 goals a season for 2-3 years (ie since they were 20!) are not going for £4mill.

I'm saying he no doubt exists because previous transfers at different clubs in different leagues would dictate so. I'm not disagreeing that they are hard to find, but we HAVE to find them if we want to stop them from winning this league again, we HAVE to sign quality not bench-warmers who are 30 years old and on £15k a week - FFS we'd be as well just bringing Boyd back at this rate.

Solanke also isn't coming mate, or I'd be very surprised if he did - played yesterday for Liverpool against City and if he is going anywhere it's to a better league than ours.

Will stress the point again, it's the mere fact so many on here are willing to pay even £350k for a 30 year old who has had one good season with Hearts yet failed everywhere else since leaving us, paying him close to what he's on today (c.£15k) and think that's acceptable as we try to get 55. Not to mention his very mediocre return for Rangers after us splashing £3m on him originally.

Quality is what we need, then squad players.

You’re kidding yourself on if you think the Spivs wouldn’t have shopped in the same market as they did and pocket the rest. Sounds like you’re actively trying to justify your pointless resentment.

F*ck Naismith and Whittaker, I don’t blame the rest for getting away from Green and his cronies.

I'm saying he no doubt exists because previous transfers at different clubs in different leagues would dictate so. I'm not disagreeing that they are hard to find, but we HAVE to find them if we want to stop them from winning this league again, we HAVE to sign quality not bench-warmers who are 30 years old and on £15k a week - FFS we'd be as well just bringing Boyd back at this rate.

Solanke also isn't coming mate, or I'd be very surprised if he did - played yesterday for Liverpool against City and if he is going anywhere it's to a better league than ours.

Will stress the point again, it's the mere fact so many on here are willing to pay even £350k for a 30 year old who has had one good season with Hearts yet failed everywhere else since leaving us, paying him close to what he's on today (c.£15k) and think that's acceptable as we try to get 55. Not to mention his very mediocre return for Rangers after us splashing £3m on him originally.

Quality is what we need, then squad players.

Wouldn’t disagree that Lafferty is not the quality to elevate the side. But I don’t think he’s meant to be. He’s only a cheap back up. And for £500k that’s ok. Not sure where you’ve got his wage from but it doesn’t sound right at all. Don’t think Hearts we’re paying wages like that even under Romanov. Suspect he’ll be on a hell of a lot less.

Did the players know this at the time? The fact is, none of them alluded to it. Not even a hint from any of those Rangers men

Not here yet.

I predicted 1. There are 4 weeks left.

I could easily be wrong. Just like you usually are. It’s purely guesswork. If they don’t come i’ll be disappointed but still pretty damn pleased with how the guys we have got seem to be performing. I’d be hoping that they keep it up.

Lolz on that........at least I don't make stuff up....Lafferty a cheap back up? Who is the other back up ffs?

Last edited:
Wouldn’t disagree that Lafferty is not the quality to elevate the side. But I don’t think he’s meant to be. He’s only a cheap back up. And for £500k that’s ok. Not sure where you’ve got his wage from but it doesn’t sound right at all. Don’t think Hearts we’re paying wages like that even under Romanov. Suspect he’ll be on a hell of a lot less.

Signing squad players, or players already inferior to your current team, might be fine if you already have a quality side or players in that position of real quality. What I'm saying is that Morelos isn't there quite yet, so we need better than him and not lesser. He isn't winning us 55 this season.

We could debate this one until the cows come home, as far as I'm concerned we need a striker of real quality as our next signing and even then after that (if we get said player) signing someone like Lafferty for the numbers mentioned make absolutely no sense to me.

Except McGregor said time and again through twitter that we the fans didn’t know the half of it.
So there was a hint or two
He only started that a couple of years afterwards, when he was getting grief on twitter

No one has said what was said or done

In fairness the club took a stance with Walker,and not before time imo either.
Hertz are now aware of how we intend to conduct business in that vein,and can choose to lose half the value of an asset again or play ball reasonably.
I’m not really arsed either way over a striker who would be third choice at best behind Morelos and Sadiq

Or they could just do what they did with Walker. Keep hold of the player and not sell him to a Scottish rival - maybe they are happier using him for the season over receiving a fee.

They’ve got the player under contract so they dont have to play ball any way whatsoever.

We usually agree.

But, that’s a hindsight view.

No one, not those idiots had a clue that the money would be siphoned out the club at that stage.

They made decisions in their own best interests, which I don’t mind, but also don’t think it should be forgotten or swept under the carpet.

The idea that schooled business professionals could not get to the bottom of the corruption, yet Naismith etc were onto the grand plan is laughable. :D

If rumours are to be believed, Hearts want upwards of £500k for Lafferty and he's currently on £15k a week - he's hardly an inexpensive option.

Never mind where are we getting the £4m striker from.... where are we getting the £4m for this striker from? We were making losses even before a larger than expected spending spree this summer.

We've had to pay players off because we can't, as yet, sell any of them on, at least not the ones we want rid of. A striker in that range is gonna want 30k per week. Do you really expect the directors to keep shelling out millions of their own money?

we offered 400k for walker apparantly, hearts wanted 1m.

he eventually left for 300k to wigan.
All the more reason we look outside of Scotland for players. They don't want to do business, then they can stop wasting our time

What happens if an ambitious player knows moving to these clubs means no change of a move to Rangers afterwards? They might feel League One would be a better career move

Back