Hearts stars ready to snub pay cut

_BlueNose_

Headline from the sun

HEARTS stars are ready to tell Ann Budge they don’t want to take a 50 per cent wage cut.

Jambos players are set for crisis talks with PFA Scotland ahead of showdown discussions with Tynecastle chief Budge.

Several are fuming after SunSport’s revelation that Hearts have contacted agents suggesting they could pay fees for new faces this summer as the cuts are going on.

Others are alarmed at the speed with which Budge wants to introduce across-the-board cuts, with no explanation as to how the 50 per cent figure was reached.

Gaffer Daniel Stendel is working for nothing, with No 2 Jorg Sievers also agreeing to a short-term reduction in his salary.

Skipper Steven Naismith, one of Hearts’ top earners, has accepted the 50 per cent cut after discussions with Budge.

Those moves have piled pressure on the others, on lesser wages than their gaffer and skipper, to also bow to Budge’s request.

But the rest of the squad are now set to tell the Jambos they are willing to accept a deferral but don’t want any cuts.

That’s the route English Championship side Birmingham City went down this week, with the club asking those earning over £6,000-a-week to halve their wages for 16 weeks.

Unlike Hearts, City have already pledged to repay the loss of income to their players once the season eventually resumes or a new one kicks off.

Naismith revealed this week Budge’s planned cuts would be implemented between the months of April and August.

It’s understood the squad, having been advised by union lawyers, would be willing to help out the Premiership’s bottom club in that timescale.

But they would want guarantees their money would be paid in full once the cash-flow crisis had finally been alleviated.

Jambos players currently staying at home have held group conference calls with union chiefs as they explore all the options available to them.

Players, agents and lawyers are closely scrutinising Fifa’s recently introduced amendments to laws regarding contractual stability.

Budge announced the planned cuts after revealing Hearts had lost £1million with home games postponed and the Scottish Cup semi-final against Hibs also delayed.

Defender Clevid Dikamona has torn up his deal and returned to France.

The future of other stars is now up in the air amid the pay-cut plans and doubts over which division Hearts will be in next season.

Everyone on different pay some will maybe find it harder that others always going to course bother.

I seen earlier that the Dortmund and Bayern squads have took a pay cut. We will probably need to ask our squad to do the same at this rate.

In comparative terms even a 50% cut would place most of them well above the average earnings of most of their supporters. A reality check is needed imo.

In comparative terms even a 50% cut would place most of them well above the average earnings of most of their supporters. A reality check is needed imo.
Thing is when you have that money you splash out on fancy houses and cars. The supporters aren't

I get the point your making but they have a lifestyle now that's well above what the average persons costs , asking them to take a wagecut is gonna have an effect on the majority of people's lives. Do you think they should just sell their house and move to please their employer by going against the contract that was agreed?

And on the other hand if they don't take a wagecut they won't have a wage period when the club shuts down

It's catch 22 imo. I see it from both sides.

giphy.gif

Trouble ahead for Hearts if they don’t budge on pay. Hearts wouldn’t have asked them to take such a big pay cut if it wasn’t essential to do so.

They might not accept a pay cut but they will likely be faced with accept it or get their contract terminated.

Whether that's sooner or later will be determined by the pace at which the Hearts' bank account gets nearer to empty, I expect the same will apply to many clubs.

They might not accept a pay cut but they will likely be faced with accept it or get their contract terminated.

Whether that's sooner or later will be determined by the pace at which the Hearts' bank account gets nearer to empty, I expect the same will apply to many clubs.
Contracts aren't that easy to just terminate. Maybe if they caught some of the players speaking out of turn to taxi drivers, they could sack them.

They can just terminate contracts?
Firstly, any player who wanted to could then sign elsewhere in a free.
Any that didn't would need paid, unless hearts went tot he wall.

Would you take a paycut if it came out the day after you were asked that the club had been approaching agents re: signings for next season? I think the players are in the right to reject it and if I was Naismith I'd be receding my acceptance.

"Contracts aren't that easy to just terminate. Maybe if they caught some of the players speaking out of turn to taxi drivers, they could sack them"

"They can just terminate contracts?
Firstly, any player who wanted to could then sign elsewhere in a free.
Any that didn't would need paid, unless hearts went tot he wall".

Wrongly put, probably if wage cut declined players may be offered option to terminate contract if they fancy their chances elsewhere, big gamble for any players at this time far less those performing as poorly as those at Hearts.

If no wage cut, once money runs out there will be no wages. Would the players force administration?

I seen earlier that the Dortmund and Bayern squads have took a pay cut. We will probably need to ask our squad to do the same at this rate.
Im guessing even Dortmunds lowest paid player on half a weekly wage is still earning far more than what Hearts top player earns per week normally...

Under normal circumstances they might have an argument. However, the club faces the real prospect of being put under massive financial pressure, crippling financial pressure in fact. They could be about to be demoted, even though the season isn't over. Oh, and they're sitting firmly on the bottom of the league as they can only be arsed turning up against one team.

Bit fucking cheeky of them to knock it back.

Im guessing even Dortmunds lowest paid player on half a weekly wage is still earning far more than what Hearts top player earns per week normally...
You don’t think we’ll be asking players to take a wage cut if this continues longer?

The news of them telling agents they're in the market for new players right after the wage cut was a slap in the face though. I don't blame them. They've made a right James Hunt of it & to a degree it's rather pleasant viewing.

Seriously, it's something the majority of clubs including ourselves may have to consider.

i know - we are not going to be immune from all this!

the world is under considerable strain, it wouldn’t the top earners across all clubs to help out a bit

Naismith has made most of the money he will make from the game, so it’s probably easier for him to take a wage cut compared to younger players. Not many clubs will be able to maintain their outgoings with no income. This may completely reset football and wages.

Would you take a paycut if it came out the day after you were asked that the club had been approaching agents re: signings for next season? I think the players are in the right to reject it and if I was Naismith I'd be receding my acceptance.

absolutely people forget for most of the players it’s just a job you’ll have a few who are either fans or have a small connection with the club that may accept the wage reduction , I can bet the majority of people if their employer came to them looking to take a 50% pay cut would tell them to sling their hook.

They've got a cheek after the way they have performed this season and with all that's going on across the world.

They are lucky enough to still be in a job. Millions are out of work having seen their jobs go.

Typical footballers, shitebag ones at that.

A team sitting at the bottom of the league and they are going to do this? They have barely earned the wage they have been paid this season!

Absolutely despicable!

I don't think many Hearts players will be on big money. Everyone has a mortgage, car and possibly school fees to pay so are well within their rights to knock it back.

I don't think many Hearts players will be on big money. Everyone has a mortgage, car and possibly school fees to pay so are well within their rights to knock it back.
I think you’re right in that not many will be on ‘big’ money but if your getting £5k-£6k a month and will have a relatively short career (or so they tell everybody to justify their salaries) you don’t piss it all away before your next payday!
Players might need to dip into their rainy day fund for a few months but it’s hardly going to bankrupt them is it.
As for mortgage, car and school fees they can get a 3 month mortgage holiday like everybody else and the schools are shut!

absolutely people forget for most of the players it’s just a job you’ll have a few who are either fans or have a small connection with the club that may accept the wage reduction , I can bet the majority of people if their employer came to them looking to take a 50% pay cut would tell them to sling their hook.
If my employer ‘asked’ me to take a 50% pay cut in the current climate I don’t think I’d have the option of telling them to ‘sling their hook’. More than likely I would say that’s fine as 50% of my salary is better than 0% when the company goes under.

Back