Match Thread Hearts v Rangers - 12:00 Sunday - BT Sports

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....SCNo0Ka_PavcAmPC41uRBiH7UTHZ0_QoLVm4maL3YNXHc

‘Playing against 12 men’ – Hearts boss Craig Levein hits out at ‘terrible’ ref Bobby Madden

Hearts boss Craig Levein lambasted referee Bobby Madden after watching his side go down 2-1 to Rangers. Goals from Connor Goldson and Alfredo Morelos gave Rangers victory after a Gareth McAuley own goal put Hearts ahead, but Rangers’ second goal was clearly offside, while Levein was irked at Madden’s reluctance to caution Morelos for a series of fouls. “I’ve lost my voice shouting at the referee,” Levein said. “I thought it was a terrible performance. “How Morelos gets away with what he gets away with, I don’t understand. “How many fouls can you give away without being booked? “Like Neil Lennon said when Hibs played Celtic at Celtic Park, it was like playing against 12 men. “I was delighted with the players after their difficult run and I feel that, on another day, it is a game we could have won.”
It would seem to me that there should be a few notices issued fron the compliance officer for that. I won't hold my breath though

It was 2-1 going on 6-1. We dominated possession, had more than 3 times the number of attempts at goal and 4 times the number of shots on target than Hertz. Avril is a div if he thinks they deserved to have won.
Morelos was again immense. Tav and Goldson were excellent as well. Grezda looked more than decent in the first half and I'm getting fed up apologising to Andy Halliday for writing him off. Great save by Greegs in the first half, but we expect that.
It's been a long time coming, but we are back on top. We may not stay there but we'll be a damn sight closer than we've been for years. I'll tell you what though, this squad knows much more about what being a Rangers player is than they did at the start of the season. The reaction from the coaching team, players on the bench and players on the pitch at fulltime had me beaming with pride. They now get this.

I saw Madden make quite a few mistakes today, all of them benefitted Hearts except one, the so-called offside goal, and even that was down to the linesman. Levein doesn't know WTF he is talking about. He really is a whinging bastard.

As Rob McLean couldn’t bear mention that Rangers were top of the league since 2011, in case he upset certain folk. It took Eiledh Barbour to mention it at the end of the game. Nice one Eiledh!
The Morelos comment is just keeping in tune with the narrative.
Throw as much mud as possible and Morelos becomes a dirty wee cheatin’’ bar steward.
(Apologies, I’ve quoted the wrong post!)

Huge rant from nutcase Levein. Similar to his Dundee Utd rant many years ago. Slated the ref and his assistant and said it was like playing against 12 or 13 men. Also had a go at Morelos and said how does he get away with it.

The Morelos comment is just keeping in tune with the narrative.
Throw as much mud as possible and Morelos becomes a dirty wee cheatin’’ bar steward.
[/QUOTE]
As above.

Can we stick to the facts, please. Let's not pretend he didn't improve. You're confusing his overall performance with his start which is what I assume posters in the match thread were on about.
Doesn't mean folk were talking nonsense or hate Tav.
He did very well today.
No, I was talking about people who were on at him for delivery mate.

Not sure what facts I'm missing??

Ten-man Rangers moved top of the Premiership for the first time under Steven Gerrard after a fiery comeback victory over Hearts at Tynecastle.

Following Scott Arfield's red card for a rash challenge on goalkeeper Zdenek Zlamal, the visitors held on for the final 20 minutes to move a point clear.

Hearts were rewarded for a strong start by a Gareth McAuley own goal but Connor Goldson quickly levelled.

Alfredo Morelos then added the decisive touch from an offside position.

The striker's goal, equalling the Premiership era record of scoring in seven successive games, was one of many contentious moments in a tempestuous game.

It was a fourth league loss in a row for Hearts, who were top of the table in early November, leaving them in fourth place.

The hosts were much improved from their limp loss at St Mirren and headers from Steven MacLean and Arnaud Djoum forced good early saves from Allan McGregor.

A neat move on 29 minutes culminated with Marcus Godinho delivering a low cross from the right and a sliding McAuley could only divert the ball into his own net.

Rangers responded with a ferocious onslaught, with Djoum diving to nod clear from a Ovie Ejaria header, moments before the leveller arrived.

Zlamal saved well at the feet of Goldson from a corner but the central defender was able to bundle the rebound high into the net.

A James Tavernier free-kick brushed the side-netting and Zlamal blocked bravely from McAuley as Rangers kept up the pressure and what proved to be the winner arrived before the interval.

Morelos, who missed a good chance on the volley before Hearts scored, raced away too early from a free-kick and was clearly offside when he applied a deft touch to Tavernier's terrific delivery. But the goal stood and took the Colombian's tally for the season to 17.

Morelos was involved in a running battle with returning Hearts captain Christophe Berra all afternoon, with both men frequently wrestling off the ball.

The frantic pace continued in the second half, with both sets of players, both dugouts and the fans inside a packed stadium screaming for every decision.

Goalmouth chances dried up though, as Rangers took a hold of midfield and looked menacing on the counter-attack.

Morelos went close, stretching to send Ejaria's cross just wide before Rangers picked up their seventh red card of the season.

Zlamal produced two good stops to deny Daniel Candeias and Morelos, and had the ball in both hands on the goalline as Arfield came clattering in to ram it over the line, smashing into the keeper's head with his knee.

Referee Bobby Madden, who had produced just one yellow card in a stormy contest, immediately sent Arfield packing but Gerrard's depleted side had few problems holding out.

'Rangers hit back quickly and decisively' - Analysis
BBC Scotland's Brian McLauchlin at Tynecastle

Credit must go to Gerrard and his players. They fought back quickly and decisively and deserved their victory. They also had more than a slice of fortune for what proved to be the winner.

Morelos escaped punishment after jumping into Hearts captain Berra and was then one of three Rangers men in an offside position when he flicked the ball into the far corner.

There is no doubting the talents of Morelos but not for the first time his temperament can be called into question. And Gerrard will surely be asking questions of Arfield, who needlessly went in with both feet on Zlamal giving the referee no option but to issue a straight red card.

Rangers now sit proudly at the top of the top flight for the first time in seven years. The task that lies ahead is to stay there and keep Celtic, who have played a game fewer, at bay.

For Hearts this was their sixth match without a win in all competitions but it was a spirited performance and, with the busy December period now under way, may not have to wait too long before they get back to winning ways.

Ejaria and Coulibaly, not unusually, have been anonymous, but they have been shoehorned in yet again and Halliday showed he isn`t a full back by being sucked into the middle and leaving acres of space in behind.
Our best midfielder is playing
Yes, he came on as a sub.

No, I was talking about people who were on at him for delivery mate.

Not sure what facts I'm missing??

His delivery was poor at the start and that's what was being referred to as you yourself quoted
"Athough when 1-0 plenty of folk on this thread saying his delivery was pish."
Anyway, as I've already said he came onto a very good game and could've been MOTM although I'd give that to wee Buff.

tackle.gif

Ejaria and Coulibaly, not unusually, have been anonymous, but they have been shoehorned in yet again and Halliday showed he isn`t a full back by being sucked into the middle and leaving acres of space in behind.

Yes, he came on as a sub.

Thought both came onto a game in the second half.

So proud of this team brilliant result mr gerrard we are all so proud of what you have achieved since you became our manager from a very happy bear

What a performance! We should have been completely out of sight by the end. McCauley was excellent OG aside (yes I'm biased), Morelos is a quality forward. He's rough around the edges at times, I like his all action performance, I like how he plays on the edge. Just worried how long we can keep him for.

Super proud of this team, Gerrard and how far he has taken us in a short space of time.

Ge
Jack not starting makes absolutely no sense.

There must be something Gerrard doesn’t quite like about him - you’d assume he’d be first pick in midfield every week. Especially given Coulibaly has been like playing with a man down for the past 2 months.
Gerrard is on record stating how highly he rates Jack, it’s simply squad rotation.

Superb team performance with the exception of the first 15 mins or so. The remainder of the game we bossed it all over the pitch. WATP. #LetsGo

I’ve still got that rosy glow from yesterday’s performance and result.
The Rangers are top of the league and all is well !!

Unfortunately I slept in and missed the entire game :rolleyes:. Just watched it back now, two of those commentators are complete cockwombles they hold morelos in utter contempt, Michael Stewart is an absolute mongo pundit! Hearts where the best team for the first 25 minutes then it was all rangers, even through the full 90 the two in midfield ejaria and coulibaly where pretty poor, too many mistakes in possession and poor in closing down. I think it's time we try two other midfielders in place of them two its been quite noticeable lately they have been posted missing. Great build up and play between the fullbacks, wingers and morelos. Alot of intelligent play from arfield in closing down and in play, the red was a red!!. Outstanding from morelos again even berra couldn't bully him. Goldson and mcauley where solid, tav lead by example, halliday put a great shift in, shagger was solid between the sticks. I'm pretty sure hearts only had one effort in the second half by Lee which went well over, rangers again with ten men you literally couldn't tell it was us with ten men. Great tactics and subs from the management, outstanding resilience and team spirit from the entire squad It actually feels like the team are a big family now, all in it for the cause!! :)

Unfortunately I slept in and missed the entire game :rolleyes:. Just watched it back now, two of those commentators are complete cockwombles they hold morelos in utter contempt, Michael Stewart is an absolute mongo pundit! Hearts where the best team for the first 25 minutes then it was all rangers, even through the full 90 the two in midfield ejaria and coulibaly where pretty poor, too many mistakes in possession and poor in closing down. I think it's time we try two other midfielders in place of them two its been quite noticeable lately they have been posted missing. Great build up and play between the fullbacks, wingers and morelos. Alot of intelligent play from arfield in closing down and in play, the red was a red!!. Outstanding from morelos again even berra couldn't bully him. Goldson and mcauley where solid, tav lead by example, halliday put a great shift in, shagger was solid between the sticks. I'm pretty sure hearts only had one effort in the second half by Lee which went well over, rangers again with ten men you literally couldn't tell it was us with ten men. Great tactics and subs from the management, outstanding resilience and team spirit from the entire squad It actually feels like the team are a big family now, all in it for the cause!! :)

Deary me

Sleeps in and misses the best game of our season and then turns up a day late to the match thread.

:)

Just kidding lol. Interesting perspective of the game from a fan who knows the score while watching. It was very different seeing it in real time- arse was doing absolute buttons as soon as Scotty boy was sent down the tunnel. But seeing the highlights it was clear we dominated the game, hearts didn’t even get a shot on goal when he went down to ten- very telling.

Back