Match Thread Hearts v Rangers - 12:15 Sunday - BT Sports

Not a great performance from the team today with a few exceptions. Steven Davis put in a decent shift, but too many poor performances from too many of his teammates. Tav is out of form at the moment. It happens. We were pretty sloppy at the back in general. One thing I did notice was how quickly Hearts were at us from the kick off. Much like when we played "them". It seems to be a good tactic for teams playing against us as it rattled us and it took us a good fifteen minutes for us to get any kind of rhythm going. There is still a long way to go and if we're being honest, that was always going to be a tough fixture. No need to panic yet. Ryan Jack was sorely missed today. I said this last year and was shot down by many, but I'm more convinced now that Ryan should be our next captain. Not the greatest way to celebrate your birthday, but on the other hand it could have been a defeat. Keep your chins up bears ;-)

We arrived expecting to win but they turned up wanting to win.

however we are only second on goal difference so we can sort that next week.

A supporter supports win lose or draw but we appear to have a lot that just want to win and turn on manager and team if we dont. Well we ain’t going to win every game but that does not mean we will not win the league.

Trying my best to squeeze any kind of positives from today,Was hoping for 3 points only got 1 at least it wasn't 0.

No one said anything about being unsuccessful, did they? That's an utterly disingenuous take on my suggestion.

Gerrard's success as a player was universally cited as a reason that he might succeed at Ibrox. However, that doesn't take stock of the fact that for almost every year he was a Liverpool player, they failed to live up to expectations in the league. I'm sure you've read his book, yes? In that case you'll know that he acknowledges that in 2014 the pressure of being top became too much, too overbearing and that he was struggling to cope with it all.

Today, tasked with staying top with a win against a team who haven't won at home since fcking March, we blow our league position yet again.

Yes, there's a long way to go. And yes, we should wind our necks in and stop talking about where title 55's celebrations will be held. But don't tell me that his own lack of experience in leading a team to victory over the course of 38 games might not be a factor in all this.

It's not disingenuous at all. If you are going to cite his playing career as a barometer of him being a successful manager, then you need to look at all of it and not pick and choose, to suit your argument. SG ultimately failed to get the EPL medal but I could give you plenty of examples where his team were under extreme pressure and he dragged them to victory and a trophy.

In any case, I personally dont think it's a fair or even a logical comparison to make, good players dont always make good managers and vice versa. There is no evidence to back up your claims that this is in any way a negative factor, so I completely disagree with you in that respect. Since you are looking at the EPL as a comparison the best managers down there just now are Klopp and Guardiola yes? One of them won league titles/trophies regularly, the other was generally fighting relegation yet they are both the best in the business.

At this moment in time we are behind on goals scored to a scum team that has triple the budget that Stevie has. He's far from perfect and it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to today but, I genuinely think we are in safe hands. That's not based on his playing career, it's due to what he's done with the club since arriving. Despite the capitulation at Ibrox, we will push the filth all the way this season, time will tell if we ca go all the way or not.

As said mate, I took umbrage to your post as it read like a cheap shot. It's quite obvious that wasnt the case and you do actually believe it matters so fair play for clarifying. We will just need to disagree on that.

A point at tynecastle isn't the end of the world, but it's the performance that's the problem. Starting to look like we don't have the bottle
There was very little if any desire today, very concerning hardly a shot at goal ojo, aribo tav airfield all poor

As I said probably shite but emotions still running high.Hopefully Celtic will struggle in away games to the likes of Hearts,Hibs,Aberdeen even Motherwell cant see them losing to many points at home.

Neither will we.

This Celtic team, like us, wont be able to steam roll every game and will drop points away from home.

It's not disingenuous at all. If you are going to cite his playing career as a barometer of him being a successful manager, then you need to look at all of it and not pick and choose, to suit your argument. SG ultimately failed to get the EPL medal but I could give you plenty of examples where his team were under extreme pressure and he dragged them to victory and a trophy.

In any case, I personally dont think it's a fair or even a logical comparison to make, good players dont always make good managers and vice versa. There is no evidence to back up your claims that this is in any way a negative factor, so I completely disagree with you in that respect. Since you are looking at the EPL as a comparison the best managers down there just now are Klopp and Guardiola yes? One of them won league titles/trophies regularly, the other was generally fighting relegation yet they are both the best in the business.

At this moment in time we are behind on goals scored to a scum team that has triple the budget that Stevie has. He's far from perfect and it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to today but, I genuinely think we are in safe hands. That's not based on his playing career, it's due to what he's done with the club since arriving. Despite the capitulation at Ibrox, we will push the filth all the way this season, time will tell if we ca go all the way or not.

As said mate, I took umbrage to your post as it read like a cheap shot. It's quite obvious that wasnt the case and you do actually believe it matters so fair play for clarifying. We will just need to disagree on that.

No worries.

It just seems to me that the idea that Gerrard's own successful playing career would/could carry seamlessly over into management was fundamentally flawed and further reinforced by the fact that the area in which he's been employed - win us the league - was something in which he failed as a player. And what exacerbates this even more (unlike managers with no playing success like Mourinho or Klopp) is his lack of managerial success in dealing with this kind of pressure - a double whammy!

No worries.

It just seems to me that the idea that Gerrard's own successful playing career would/could carry seamlessly over into management was fundamentally flawed and further reinforced by the fact that the area in which he's been employed - win us the league - was something in which he failed as a player. And what exacerbates this even more (unlike managers with no playing success like Mourinho or Klopp) is his lack of managerial success in dealing with this kind of pressure - a double whammy!

Well yes I'd agree there and of course I should have pointed that out. Klopp didnt walk into a club our size for his first managerial role, he obviously did very well at a provincial club before getting the Dortmund job. As said though, I've never liked to use that as a measure of how successful someone might be.
Unfortunately though mate, its where we are as a club now. If we want a manager with bags of experience we are shopping in the second tier, if we want the big name we probably need to accept that it wont be the finished article. One thing that SG's career will have assisted him with, is that he will instantly command respect and of course attract a higher calibre of player. Ultimately, he still needs to go out and do the business from there. I'm confident he'll deliver.

Tav goldson and ojo. 3 men down.

How to %^*& these 3 can get a game the now is beyond me. If Thts any other players and there performances are so bad they would be dropped. Even arfield been brutal recently.

Poor performance the day bears.

Poor performance today and a disappointing result. Can't help feel too many players looked jaded after the International break, whether this is down to their individual efforts, travel, etc, or the break disrupting the side's rhythm, I dont know, but its not the first time weve come back from an International week and looked rusty. Still that can be an excuse for today. Neither can we blame Clancy although he was abominable today. Given Hearts current position that was two points dropped today. Having said that Tynecastle can be one of the more difficult venues to visit, especially when their up for it. It's disappointing we've let the mentally challengeds back into it, however this league is far from over and there will be bumps in the road for both sides along the way.

Well yes I'd agree there and of course I should have pointed that out. Klopp didnt walk into a club our size for his first managerial role, he obviously did very well at a provincial club before getting the Dortmund job. As said though, I've never liked to use that as a measure of how successful someone might be.
Unfortunately though mate, its where we are as a club now. If we want a manager with bags of experience we are shopping in the second tier, if we want the big name we probably need to accept that it wont be the finished article. One thing that SG's career will have assisted him with, is that he will instantly command respect and of course attract a higher calibre of player. Ultimately, he still needs to go out and do the business from there. I'm confident he'll deliver.

My biggest concern was always this season. You could not expect a rookie manager in his first year to do much against a team who'd won the league for the past seven years and as such it was always a right off. My worry was whether he had learned enough from last season to take us forward to the league and a cup this season. He may; he may not: we're definitely going forward. Whether it's going to be enough? I dunno. I'm certainly less confident.

Eh we are joint top of the league!!!
We are a hard lot to please. Didn't see it today but that fixture is alwaygoing to be a scrap. I will take a point if we were rotten. We lose that game last year. Tav is having a mare just now. I would suggest he needs dropped to sharpen him back up but we have to trust SG.

I wouldn't drop Tavernier, I think he's probably our best all round player, the problem is he can't defend. The solution is simple, move him forward a position to right midfield, like we done with Steven Whittaker and it worked out. Why have a guy with an attacking mentality at right back, it doesn't make any sense? He's up that right wing about 70% of the time anyway! Dropping him as Captain would just destroy him as much as we know it should be Steven Davis or Ryan Jack as Captain.

Not furious with the result, we're level on points and goal difference, so its a test of character now. Next Old Firm team to drop a point is going to have a massive effect on which way the league swings in my opinion. Can't see us getting a draw or win at Celtic Park this season so thats why we must win every game. There are realistic fixtures we'll struggle to win.

Hopefully this is the last time we see Arfield o the right as it’s brutal to watch. You need to have attacking threats and Arfield offered nothing out there yet again.

Ach, depressing, but the only thing I'm taking from this is that...already this season we are taking points we'd have lost last year.

We are a hard lot to please. Didn't see it today but that fixture is alwaygoing to be a scrap. I will take a point if we were rotten. We lose that game last year. Tav is having a mare just now. I would suggest he needs dropped to sharpen him back up but we have to trust SG.
We’re a hard lot to please,really? We have a manager who when interviewed moans about the exact same problems he creates by persisting on playing a completely out of form Tavernier, Arfield and Ojo while harping on about this big squad he’s created, if that’s the case why does he continually pick players that when we’re up against it go hiding.

SG must be struggling with whether or not to drop the captain. Has to be a manager's worst nightmare.
I've total faith in SG + as he learns on the job... he'll make mistakes in team selection... team tactics + substitutions.
Bumped into a bear or two in city centre + after a knowing shaking of our heads... we pretty much parted ways saying "last year, we lose that match" ....hopefully a refrain we are able to stop saying...sooner than later
#Nosurrender

Tav goldson and ojo. 3 men down.

How to %^*& these 3 can get a game the now is beyond me. If Thts any other players and there performances are so bad they would be dropped. Even arfield been brutal recently.

Poor performance the day bears.

Goldson? Wtf?

So people just have their scapegoats ready to go when points are dropped?

Ilpeazu absolutely owned Katic from the very first minute. F*ck knows what Katic is doing when he lets him go free for that header that hit the post. Goldson tore him a new one for it.

The whole reason Katic starts this game is because he thrives on the physicality. But he lost this battle.

Goldson certainly wasn't great, but neither were 7 or so of his teammates. So many have the blinkers on regarding Katic and it's the exact opposite for Goldson for some unknown reason.

What worries me is that McGregor and Davis apart we have a team of players who have won nothing and still have to prove that they have the mentality to do so.
When the chips are down they have been found wanting on several occasions

The fact Gerard keeps picking Tav, Ojo and Aribo all the time is worrying, they seem untouchable, no matter how bad they play. Also why didn't he take a defender of and go with Morelos and Defoe for the last ten minutes.

We’re a hard lot to please,really? We have a manager who when interviewed moans about the exact same problems he creates by persisting on playing a completely out of form Tavernier, Arfield and Ojo while harping on about this big squad he’s created, if that’s the case why does he continually pick players that when we’re up against it go hiding.
W

Back