Helander again

I prefer Helander as well, rock solid and he was a big miss last season after his injury.

Balogun is a fantastic player as well and I can see why some prefer him, if he was here last season after Helanders injury then the paper bag title might not have been awarded.

Had an important block when the game was 0-0 which has gone a little under the radar. Both him and Balogun are really good but feel Helander reads whats going on around him better and is able to snuff out the low crosses that we have been guilty of conceding occasionally.

Big Helander is a smashing defender. Great reading of the game. Commanding and communicates well. Always switched on.

I’ve no idea how people think Balogun is better than him.

And I say that as someone who likes Balogun.
His recovery speed can can create a false perception of his actual defensive capabilities, solid player overall though & I’m glad to have him.

Fil is my man though.

Another stat from Twitter.

Helander has not lost a league game since he signed last season.

Mental.

It’s just a world away from where we were. When I see Helander on the team sheet that fine. When I see Balogun- likewise. Throw in Katic or Simpson and I just remember that I trust our gaffer.
Let the good times roll.

Better than Balogun by far, I always feel Leon is playing on the verge of a proper mistake during games... if helander had pace , he would be at the very top.. he gives everything when he plays for us

With Balogun, there's been a few moments between him and Goldson where they leave it for the other or expect the other to take it, we dont see that with Helander and Goldson, they compliment each other better for me.

With Balogun, there's been a few moments between him and Goldson where they leave it for the other or expect the other to take it, we dont see that with Helander and Goldson, they compliment each other better for me.
That’s it , goldson probably prefers playing with fil, obviously would never admit that, but we defend better under pressure with goldson and helander... Balogun has played his part to suit certain games tbf ... Good problems to have these days.

Helander just edges it slightly for me. Balogun has been great for us, and I have great confidence in him when he plays, but Helander is just a natural defender in the way he reads the game, that more than makes up for not being blindingly quick or hitting 60 yard pinpoint passes, like a lot of modern day top level centre halves are expected to be. He is also another captain in waiting, should he ever be needed in that role.

I think Gerrard is probably a little torn, in that even when just about back to full fitness, Helander has still been on the bench sometimes. However I think if we were playing a final tomorrow then he would start with Helander.

Great problem to have, you want and need 2 good players for every position. A couple of top quality signings this summer, not to mention keeping most of our best players, then we could have a real genuine depth in quality next season, which I think we maybe just a bit short in at the moment.

If Helander had genuine pace he’d be nowhere near Rangers. He’s outstanding and his injury last season cost us immensely. I don’t care what anyone says, he and Goldson are our best CB partnership. Balogun is a more than able deputy but he’s 3rd choice.
Agree with this. Balogun has been brilliant, but Helander is an outstanding player. Top defender, left footer on the left side gives us balance as well. The stat above is outrageous. He's never lost a league game for us and him getting injured in the cup final last year always makes me wonder what would have happened if he'd stayed fit.

I honestly believe that his injury last year cost us dear after Christmas. Balogun is a good defender of that there is no doubt, however I actually think Goldson becomes better when Helander plays.

Helander seems to take the big job of marking their best forward and from what I can remember I've yet to see him lose a personal battle.

Back