Helander/Fee

This is just the Timmy media trying to deflect the 10m of signings that they left on the bench when they got knocked out by Cluj.

We are in a totally different scenario from them in that we have 2 centre half’s that have played/trained together over the last 12 months and have made such a solid start to the season that the Gaffer wouldn’t be justified in dropping them.

We also didn’t part with a left back for 25m and replaced him with a 3m dud. We also didn’t spend 7m on Helander which is an absolutely huge sum in our league.

With the exception of Barisic, we have competition for each of our defensive berths whilst they have spent a hefty sum & now look like they have to sign replacements.

Let's put it simply.

Helander - £3 million
Edmundson - £700k
Goldson - £3 million
Katic - £2 million

Total: £8.7 million

Their new super centre back who couldn't get a start last week - £7 million

Were already playing top value centre backs, Helanders chance may come and I'm sure he'll be ready for it.

Also we have the fact that discussions on a new contract have started for Ajer who now, apparently, has become a target for no-one at a valuation of £15m - we all know that keeping a £15m player is better than a new signing eh?

Heard some grumbles that we have wasted more than £3m on Helander. My thinking is that Goldson and Katic know Edmundson and Helander are breathing down their necks for a starting place. If Katic and Goldson continue to play well and improve, then surely the transfer fee for Helander is money well spent. What says FF?
My thinking is that SG sees Goldson moving on next season, with Helander ready to step in alongside Katic and Edmunson to play the Katic role of rotation.

The converyor belt so to speak :D

Heard some grumbles that we have wasted more than £3m on Helander. My thinking is that Goldson and Katic know Edmundson and Helander are breathing down their necks for a starting place. If Katic and Goldson continue to play well and improve, then surely the transfer fee for Helander is money well spent. What says FF?

I think Steven G learn’t a very valuable lesson last season.
Don’t fix what’s not broken.

In terms of central defence Goldson and Katic got us to the group stages and then inexplicably got split up which for me was a major factor in us not winning the league.
Old news I know.
Anyway that was last season.

Gerrard has also reiterated that it’s Goldson and Katic’s to lose!
Or any first team player for that matter!

Katic in particular has already being singled out as keeping Helander out the first team right now as he is playing so well.Which is no surprise to me!!

My concern is that Stevie doesnt let history repeat itself if we qualify after the Legia games and then drops Katic again without reason to satisfy this clamor from the media especially for Helander to play.
If Helander gets in he has to meritt this whether he replaces Katic or Goldson.

Last edited:
I think Steven G learn’t a very valuable lesson last season.
Don’t fix what’s not broken.

In terms of central defence Goldson and Katic got us to the group stages and then inexplicably got split up which for me was a major factor in us not winning the league.
Old news I know.
Anyway that was last season.

Gerrard has also reiterated that it’s Goldson and Katic’s to lose!
Or any first team player fir that matter!

Katic in particular has already being singled out as keeping Helander out the first team right now as he is playing so well.Which is no surprise to me!!

My concern is that Stevie doesnt let history repeat itself if we qualify after the Legia games and then drops Katic again without reason to satisfy this clamor for Helander to la
If Helander gets in he has to meritt this whether he replaces Katic or Goldson.

Excellent post. The gaffer has definitey learned lessons from last season and that can only be a good thing for us going forward. I always remember Sir Alex Ferguson liked to rotate his squad, but nine times out of ten he had the same central defensive partnership and the number one keeper in as he thought it added cohesion and let them learn from each other and get better, I think we are seeing the same thing here

Grumbles from utter fools who don't know how football works I take it? Seriously, Helander needs time to get fit, seeing as he was with Bologna last season he was still on holiday when we signed him. Serie A starts this week, so I would say he is at the same stage of pre season now as we were against St Joseph's. I'm away for a lie down

Grumbles from utter fools who don't know how football works I take it? Seriously, Helander needs time to get fit, seeing as he was with Bologna last season he was still on holiday when we signed him. Serie A starts this week, so I would say he is at the same stage of pre season now as we were against St Joseph's. I'm away for a lie down

I think you need a lie down mate!! That was a rant and a half. For what it is worth, I agree with you

We've really yet to see him. So i cant really answer the money well spend. We had no idea if Edmunson would work and needed cover, so it seems a good signing on that basis alone

This Helander nonsense is a deflection from them as they’ve paid £7m for a CB who was on the bench when their defence was taken apart in the CL qualifier. He then starts against Dunfermline and cost what should have been a goal for them in the first 2 min. The guy is a bomb scare and no amount of deflecting can hide that. It will soon be there for all to see!

Just for the record, I think the boy will become a good player for us and when he does play will be absolutely fine. I just thought it was worthy of further discussion

I've not seen nor heard any one label Helander a waste of money.

For me Goldson and Katić keep the jersey and barring an injury or disaster, they continue to do so. I wouldn't be breaking up that partnership any time soon.

Are people seriously suggesting he’s a waste of money after one game in which he scored and we won?

Anyone who is clearly isn’t worth the time of day.

Agree but Katic was quite a bit less than £2m.

Thats what we bought him for aye. But i think we'd all agree we value him at way more than that currently. I wouldnt see us accepting an offer of less than £4m for him tbh. Assuming you agree (hard not to) then you must accept that we value Katic more highly than helander.

We didnt axe Ferguson in midfielf just because we bought players who were more expensive than the youth we developped ourselves did we!?

Thats what we bought him for aye. But i think we'd all agree we value him at way more than that currently. I wouldnt see us accepting an offer of less than £4m for him tbh. Assuming you agree (hard not to) then you must accept that we value Katic more highly than helander.

We didnt axe Ferguson in midfielf just because we bought players who were more expensive than the youth we developped ourselves did we!?
Katic was bought for less than £2m,this was confirmed by Gerrard in a press conference.

You heard he cost £3 million? I'm slightly confused by your original post, and what the relevance was to Grezda and Pena, except that they cost a transfer fee.

No, I heard he's nowhere near the player we thought he was.

The grumbling about him sound similar to.the kind of creeping rumours we heard about Pena and Grezda

Well chuffed wi big Niko's progress knew he would come good for us and having decent competition for first team action will bring out the best across the board.
Absolutely. If that lot value the boy Ajer at £15m (don’t laugh), I’d be interested to hear our valuation of Niko in 9 months time if he continues putting in solid performances over the course.

The grumbling about him sound similar to.the kind of creeping rumours we heard about Pena and Grezda
He's fairly high profile, it's hard to imagine we don't have a good idea of what he is and isn't capable of. For the fee involved I would expect him to be in the squad more, now that he's played already.

I'm making this up as I need attention: the exact opposite, that he’s performing well in training and is likely to be brought in to the side after the international break.

Fully expect him to start against St Mirren, with Katic guaranteed to play on Thursday.
Playing on a good surface against a below average premier team is exactly the time to bring him in.

Where are these grumbles coming from, first I have heard of it, the guy hasn't put a foot wrong for us, he will go into the team when someone has a drop in form, and that is as it should be.

I suspect he will start on Sunday, with Katic coming back in for the return leg against Warsaw.

I quite liked the look of him actually on Sunday there.

Another way of looking at it is would we except a 3 million pound bid for Goldson or Katic? I think the overall consensus would be expecting a lot more. So if for example we value them both at 6m each would we expect a 3m player to walk in and start before them?

I call shite on the 'rumours'.

Here's what has happened. Celtic spent 7m on a CB. He's shite, so bad in fact they didn't play him in a huge game and ended up losing and causing themselves all sorts of pain and we laughed at them a lot. Turns out he wasn't signed by the manager but by the accountant and isn't really that good a footballer for this league. So, to deflect this they look at whats going on across the city.... as it happens we also signed a CB, for less than half what theirs cost and with a better pedigree. Said CD is 3-4 weeks behind on his season due to being in a different league previously, and our current CD pairing are solid and performing well, so hasn't stepped straight into the team, but who are we to let the facts stand in the way of a good story! The shit stirring tossers start suggesting Helander isnt signing cos he's shite because they want us to stop talking about them. Before we know it it's a 'rumour'!

The fact is they fucked up in their recruitment and wont like it if we got a better player for less money. So they will make up as much shit as they can to deflect their own issues.

Helander is out the Euro squad because we dont need him there, we have a solid pairing, a fit and ready to play 3rd choice and a game on saturday that is more suited to a new player than a crucial EL play off. He's played some time in one friendly and one game in the cup and looked solid in both.

Rant over. I clearly need a coffee.

He looks a class act I am pretty sure he will force his way in to the team soon and stay there .

Gerrard isn’t stupid. Helander isn’t fully up to speed. We’ve season defining games this month and unless there was an injury to Goldson or Katic there is simply no need to throw him in at the deep end.

I say the same. We have improved our starting 2 by having these 2 at our disposal.

All of our defenders will play huge parts of the season.

A 6ft 4 inch 26 year old Swedish international centre half with Seria A experience pushing for his place in the first team

What’s not to like ?

Spot on. Very early days and he has still to prove himself with us but I’m confident he will do well as he competes to be a regular starter.

Katic had a dip in form last season and Goldson looked done at points in the last few months of the season too, we need 4 capable centre halves to cater for that. If we're looking to play 60+ games this season all centre backs will get plenty of game time.

I'd expect Helander to partner Goldson once he's fully match fit after the international break.

When we signed Hellander SG would have been thinking he doesn’t trust Katic fully and Edmunson is unproven so we need a quality cb.

Fast forward a few weeks and both Katic and Goldson are playing like +£6m defenders and Edmunson looks really promising.

When people say Hellander is a waste of money I don’t think it’s because they think he is a bad player. They would have just preferred to spend that money on another attacking option or a Kent deal, not used on a fourth choice cb which he could turn out to be.

I haven't seen anyone say we have wasted money on him.

Good spot though, OP, I'll know now to look out for it so I can put them on ignore.

Helander katic goldson edmunson cost around 8.7mil.

Amazing business katic for me will be snapped up for near 20mil by prem team over next few seasons edmunson looks another steal

People reading too much into him not making the Euro squad imo

I think he’s still getting up to speed fitness wise and he wouldn’t have started in the games against Warsaw anyway

I think we will see him against st mirren at the weekend

The whole point of 2 players for each position is to motivate players to perform for 90 minutes in every game or you are out. It is working.

Back