Helander/Fee

Cant wait to see him play again, im sure hes the real deal, however as long as Katic is continuing his form and keeping him out then im happy to wait

I don't see the problem. If he wasn't playing because he is absolute rotten, then £3m would have been wasted. But he's not playing because Goldson and Katic have been solid (in no small part thanks to competition from Helander) and both of them are worth more than £3m. They won't play every game if we have another 60 game season, so he'll get his chance.

Heard some grumbles that we have wasted more than £3m on Helander. My thinking is that Goldson and Katic know Edmundson and Helander are breathing down their necks for a starting place. If Katic and Goldson continue to play well and improve, then surely the transfer fee for Helander is money well spent. What says FF?
A bit like when we signed Duncan Ferguson for £4million, it spurred Mark Hateley on to become an even better and more consistent player for us.
Helander will get his chance, but his presence has pushed Katic and Goldson on to a new level for now.

Whilst Helander might get a start against St Mirren, I don't think Gerrard will really mess with the centre-backs until after the game against the Dhims. It will be after that Helander gets his chance to stake his claim. Goldson and Katic will be the starters for both Legia games plus the game against the Dhims.

I am just going to assume that anything negative about us this season is an invention of Hollicom. Was this not an 'opinion' from a scottish football 'journalist's on Twitter?

Yes, the bold Mark is a "Morton" fan.

Np other affiliations, honest...

Last edited:
The same people grumbling at the fee will be the same people moaning if we drop Katic and bring him in when our 2x CB's have been on fire so far this season.

He shouldn't be shoehorned in to the team purely because of his fee. He will get his chance and will edge in to the first 11 eventually i would imagine but if he doesn't then it means our defence is performing week in week out which is fine with me also.

Surprised so many see him starting on Sunday tbh. We cannot afford to be dropping any points this early in the season. Bounce games to get him up to speed for me and then if he's better than those in possession of a starting spot he comes in.

Let's put it simply.

Helander - £3 million
Edmundson - £700k
Goldson - £3 million
Katic - £2 million

Total: £8.7 million

Their new super centre back who couldn't get a start last week - £7 million

Were already playing top value centre backs, Helanders chance may come and I'm sure he'll be ready for it.
That is a top post and makes loads of sense

Heard some grumbles that we have wasted more than £3m on Helander. My thinking is that Goldson and Katic know Edmundson and Helander are breathing down their necks for a starting place. If Katic and Goldson continue to play well and improve, then surely the transfer fee for Helander is money well spent. What says FF?
What grumbles!?!?

That is a bold prediction. I think you are wrong though
Just my opinion mate, I think Katic is just going to get better and better if he gets enough game time this year to truly build his sense of entitlement to that starting jersey. I also think he’ll get a full cap call up soon too if he continues to perform well.

He could be the one we sell for a massive profit from our CHs within the next 24mths.

I think we will see w fair bit of rotation at the back through the various cup competitions but unlike last year, the quality of those coming in will be on a par with those already in posession of the jersey. Those playing the league and EL games will be considered the starters with the other two potentially coming in for the domestic cup competitions.

Holy Boli from the East end: Definition = Total waste of fekking money
Helander: Definition = Serie A class, looks very accomplished to date

I don't know how anyone can suggest he isn't good enough, based so far on his performances for Rangers. One of the most important attributes in a CD is his positional sense and an ability to hold the shape; he doesn't seem short there, if he played in Italy for as long as he did he'll be good in that aspect of his game. He can pass, he can win a header in either end; as he's not really played much it's difficult read how he is in many other aspects, but my point is that anyone writing him off, or "hearing rumours" sound's very far fetched. He has his work cut out displacing Katic; he can forget about displacing Goldson, so it's no easy task for him here anyway.

The sooner we get Helander and Goldson settle in as our first choice CB partnership, the sooner we’ll be ready to win the league

The sooner we get Helander and Goldson settle in as our first choice CB partnership, the sooner we’ll be ready to win the league

There’s absolutely no reason to break up Goldson and Katic, and until there is Helander will just have to wait.

Just my opinion mate, I think Katic is just going to get better and better if he gets enough game time this year to truly build his sense of entitlement to that starting jersey. I also think he’ll get a full cap call up soon too if he continues to perform well.

He could be the one we sell for a massive profit from our CHs within the next 24mths.
Definitely mate. He was robbed by Gerrard's poor decision to pull him out the team last season.

Katic will be an absolute monster for us this season now Gerrard has finally seen what he can do.

Don't know where Helander will fit in but he will get his game time to give him a chance to prove why he should be in the starting 11 and it's up to him to take it.

There’s absolutely no reason to break up Goldson and Katic, and until there is Helander will just have to wait.

That's just not how football works Tags. It's a ruthless enviroment.

I remember Kent signing last year, sure it was a couple of days before the Osijek game if my memory serves me correct and he was put right into the starting line up in the away leg.

People grumble about fucking anything so I wouldn't take much notice. What I think though, is that Edmundson and Katic are surprising Gerrard this season. Katic has looked fantastic at times and Edmundson hasn't put a foot wrong. I think Gerrard was expecting Helander to be the main man and they two to be back up. If he's going to become a starter ahead of them then he must be excellent.

Back