Helander out for the foreseeable future

Grim. Balogun has shown time and time again he isn’t EL level (despite his good showing against the mentally challengeds).

Wouldn’t be adverse to giving McClelland a shot in there. Impressed me when I have seen him.

Depending how long he's out for, Katic will likely get recalled in January.

Nicolas N'Koulou is currently a free agent after being released by Torino. If it's long term, it might be worth looking at free agents.
Plenty of experience by the looks of it, 18m value at one point not to long ago!

You knew by his face on Saturday he was out for a good while.

Must be a few centre backs out of contract that could do us a turn surely.

Just seen it on Twitter there! Gutted for the big man hopefully it’s a speedy recovery with jo complications. Helanders a big big miss

Any decent time with him out is a massive blow, such a good defender and would have been perfect for tomorrow game. Big blow.

That’s an absolute gutter. Just as he was looking absolutely irreplaceable.
You thought he looked irreplaceable being turned inside out by O’Halloran and the boy who turned him inside out to the point of cork screwing him into the turf when he injured himself?

He was very poor on Saturday as he has been in the past when turned, I’m kind of glad he’s not playing against Lyon as it is a big step up from St Johnstone both in terms of quality and pace.

This ain’t good, but not much can be done.

Lot of pressure on Balogun and Goldson to stay fit and consistent now.

Bollocks.

Always a risk with the strategy of bringing in guys like Helander and Roofe though, brilliant when you can get them on the pitch but they probably wouldn't be at us if they didn't have fitness issues.

You thought he looked irreplaceable being turned inside out by O’Halloran and the boy who turned him inside out to the point of cork screwing him into the turf when he injured himself?

He was very poor on Sunday as he has been in the past when turned, I’m kind of glad he’s not playing against Lyon as it is a big step up from St Johnstone both in terms of quality and pace.

Who was he playing on Sunday?

Absolutely sickening

It’s never , ever just a fortnight with us . Totally cursed with injuries especially knee injuries since as far back as I can remember

He was very poor on Sunday as he has been in the past when turned, I’m kind of glad he’s not playing against Lyon as it is a big step up from St Johnstone both in terms of quality and pace.
Just like Celtic, Feyenoord and Porto are.

He had a poor game, so does every player - he’s still our best defender and should be playing every game when he is fit.

Saying your kind of glad he isn’t playing, is genuinely bonkers.

Simpson will be given a chance now and needs to step up.

With Goldson still not signing an extension and Balogun at the end of his deal, we may need serious work in the next couple of windows in this position

I wonder if we’ll look at any free agents at cover. Are there any?!
We still have 3 fit centre backs and Bassey who can play there.

I highly doubt we are going to start giving out contracts to guys to cover a few months injury.

Katic is best placed where he is just now even if we could call him back.

Can’t afford to gamble on him at the moment and need him to be playing every week to build himself back up

He had a poor game, so does every player - he’s still our best defender and should be playing every game when he is fit.

That poster doesn't have a clue.

He was very poor on Saturday as he has been in the past when turned, I’m kind of glad he’s not playing against Lyon as it is a big step up from St Johnstone both in terms of quality and pace.
Bull.

He is our best defender and has in the main been outstanding since he arrived.

Had he played against Malmo we may well have been playing last night instead of tomorrow night.

It is a big blow.

Free agent players 9-10 times are that way for a reason

there’s very few that would be worth it
Yup, these guys - the experienced ones at least - are either not seen as good enough or their demands to sign-up are deemed extortionate. Otherwise they'd have clubs. Given our situation now, were we to approach one of them then their demands would likely escalate, given the position we are in.

I think we will stick with what we have, especially as any new signing would be no good to us in EL groups.

Goldson is much more consistent and less likely to lose a foot race. Fil is not a Central defender you want to play in a high line, I think his strength is back to his own goal defending deep as he is positionally sound a good reader of the game.

His weaknesses have been ruthlessly exposed in the past, Benfica being the most damming example.

The H&H tweet say at least a couple of months not a few months.

Could make all the difference with big games in December

Simpsons chance to sink or swim really.

Balogun can’t play a couple games a week for the foreseeable I’d say.

bassey can fill in but not natural area then that means you have 2 left backs playing at the same time which then increases injury risk with zero cover in reserve. Of course Aribo could fill in but you aren’t wanting him there

Bull.

He is our best defender and has in the main been outstanding since he arrived.

Had he played against Malmo we may well have been playing last night instead of tomorrow night.

It is a big blow.
Goldson is our best and most consistent central defender, which is reflected in our managers utilisation of and trust in him.

Goldson is much more consistent and less likely to lose a foot race. Fil is not a Central defender you want to play in a high line, I think his strength is back to his own goal defending deep as he is positionally sound a good reader of the game.

His weaknesses have been ruthlessly exposed in the past, Benfica being the most damming example.
The pace thing isn’t as much of an issue as people think, his reading of the game and positional sense cover this alleged deficiency.

For example, the Alashkert striker was no slouch and Helander caught up to him even though their striker had a yard of a head start.

As I said, he’s handled the likes of Feyenoord, Porto and Celtic fairly comfortably who are all a level above St Johnstone and have pacey players.

Goldson has had some nightmares himself, as does every defender but ultimately I think most would be more confident going into tomorrow’s game, with Fil playing.

Gutted for Helander and for the team. It's all very well saying that we can rely on Balogun but he has barely played a 30-game season in his career and will likely require regular rotation. What's the rules on making changes to the Europa squad?

Of course you can't predict injuries but this happens too often. Remember when we were struggling in midfield last season and then strikers the year before. We had a huge squad at the beginning of the season and we let go 2 centre half's and we're now in a bit of trouble. Balogun is a massive downgrade and then Simpson on that.

Gutted for Helander and for the team. It's all very well saying that we can rely on Balogun but he has barely played a 30-game season in his career and will likely require regular rotation. What's the rules on making changes to the Europa squad?
We can’t swap him out.

Back