Helander out for the foreseeable future

Would love someone like King to get an opportunity here, at least an opportunity to train more with the first team.

Helander is one of our best players, not just best defenders. It's a major disruption, especially to Thursday.

Brings Jack coming back into even more focus due to the brilliant work he does screening the back 4.

We really need him back asap to lessen the blow of losing Helander.

I know what you are saying but there has always been questions about Helander's availability game on game and now he's properly crocked. Another CB injury will be bad news.
Yeah but that’s football, you can’t keep a couple of centre backs in reserve because you may get one or two injuries at centre back. If any team had there main two centre backs injured their would be people worrying.

Huge error of judgement letting Katic go out on loan! Really is, I said it at the time.
Helander, great player and love him, but his injury history is not great. Management team should have known better. I know Katic needed games but why not keep him and play him every week in the B Team to get his fitness up and monitor his progress close to home. Then, as he got more time under his belt start integrating him into the squad in cup games (for example). Had we done this - we’d have had cover for this Helander injury.

Very, very short sighted decision making in my opinion.

As it is now, we are one more injury away from a defensive crisis.. poor judgement

Devastating blow if he's out for the season.

Balogun is 33 with his own injury history. Even if he hits form, it's out of the question that he'll be able to play two games a week between now and January.

Huge error of judgement letting Katic go out on loan! Really is, I said it at the time.
Helander, great player and love him, but his injury history is not great. Management team should have known better. I know Katic needed games but why not keep him and play him every week in the B Team to get his fitness up and monitor his progress close to home. Then, as he got more time under his belt start integrating him into the squad in cup games (for example). Had we done this - we’d have had cover for this Helander injury.

As it is now, we are one more injury away from a defensive crisis.. poor judgement
Simple answer to this question, he’s not eligible for the B team.

I'd play Simpson on Sunday. We need to be using him in the easier games.

Goldson & Balogun are our only centre halfs in the European squad so we'll definitely need to manage Balogun's game time and prevent him from picking up anything.

Goldson is a rock and is unlikely to miss any games unless it's due to covid.

Are people on here really suggesting bringing in McClelland from the B team instead of playing Balogun?
And further suggesting that Katic wouldn’t have been a better shout than Leon King had he been recallable?
Ffs

Ive only I had that level of hindsight.
How would you keep Katic and Simpson happy if they werent on bench. All fit Helanader and Goldson start with Balogun on bench. So what happens to other 2? Unhappy players disrupting the squad. Genius

Big blow, I'm just watching SG interview on SSN just now. Says we'll manage but not exactly ecstatic about it (as you'd expect)

Ive only I had that level of hindsight.
How would you keep Katic and Simpson happy if they werent on bench. All fit Helanader and Goldson start with Balogun on bench. So what happens to other 2? Unhappy players disrupting the squad. Genius
I disagree with that… Katic could have been rotated. At the moment we’ve got Balogun as back up at RB… there’s plenty of space to accommodate Katic’s game time needs. We are in four competitions right now. I stand my view that this was a poor management decision. Even more so, with the Covid issues out there!

Dearie me man. Katic needs games. He wasn't going to get them at Ibrox. It's as simple as that. You honestly think he'd be capable of being tossed in against Lyon?

"we're only an injury away from a crisis"

Aye, that's what happens when first team players get injured.

He's too old to play in the B team.

Dearie me man. Katic needs games. He wasn't going to get them at Ibrox. It's as simple as that. You honestly think he'd be capable of being tossed in against Lyon?

"we're only an injury away from a crisis"

Aye, that's what happens when first team players get injured.
What was this forum like during the 3IAR days when our bench was regularly academy players :))

I disagree with that… Katic could have been rotated. At the moment we’ve got Balogun as back up at RB… there’s plenty of space to accommodate Katic’s game time needs. We are in four competitions right now. I stand my view that this was a poor management decision. Even more so, with the Covid issues out there!
Patterson is back up RB. Rotating squad for sake of it crazy. We only have 3 subs in SPFL now so less chance of game time.

Patterson is our backup RB. Judging by his cameo in pre season Katic was absolutely miles off it and 100% needs regular game time to get back up to speed.

Simple answer to this question, he’s not eligible for the B team.
OK then, fair play, I wasn’t aware of that but there was still room to play Katic somewhere, even in training, get his fitness up and keep him nearby. A poor decision letting him go.. ironic thing is we’ll probably be in the exact same position with Helander come the summer when he has recovered from this long term injury!

We should be recalling Katic right now.
I will say it again - Katic is registered to play for Hadjuk Split. His registration cannot be changed to allow him to play for another club - even his parent club - until the January window opens. Its a non-starter and Gerrard has said as much.

Furthermore, anyone we bring in cannot be added to our Euro squad for the group stages.

Barring even more bad luck Goldson, Balogun, Simpson and either Bassey or one of the youngsters will be more than enough domestically. We also got through the EL group stages last season with just 3 centre backs in the squad - this year we will have to do it with just two. C'est La Vie.

Did Niko do a jobby in the managers custard?
No, not at all.
I am certain that Katic is very much in the manager's long-term thoughts.
Gerrard is spot on, Katic needs to regain his former match fitness and game sharpness and he will only do this playing every week.
If Katic gets his game back together, he will be our future centre back for years to come.

It's a discussion board. If you don't agree well fair play.

I didn't agree. No staunchesnessnesness about agreeing or not.
I agree it’s for discussion so perhaps not you in particular but the minute someone expresses and acknowledges that it’s a huge blow to lose one of our best players for months confirmed by the manager , out come the cliches about trenches , panty wetters and other nonsense

See between the bedwetters and people that don’t know the fucking rules
rain-man-meltdown.gif

OK then, fair play, I wasn’t aware of that but there was still room to play Katic somewhere, even in training, get his fitness up and keep him nearby. A poor decision letting him go.. ironic thing is we’ll probably be in the exact same position with Helander come the summer when he has recovered from this long term injury!
Wouldnt help us out in europe if he wasnt named in squad. Once submitted cant be changed unless all GKs areout and you are allowed to sign an emergency

It’s not the season for taking chances.

I think I’m quite laid back and don’t stress about these things, but we have to consider a short term contract here to make sure we have one other fit/experienced central defender.

I agree it’s for discussion so perhaps not you in particular but the minute someone expresses and acknowledges that it’s a huge blow to lose one of our best players for months confirmed by the manager , out come the cliches about trenches , panty wetters and other nonsense
Hyperbole and a point blank refusal to learn the rules achieve nothing

That’s it, usual.. start calling folk names just because they are disappointed about some of the decisions made flown behalf of their club..
People saying they are ‘sick’ and that this is absolutely disastrous isn’t simply displaying disappointment.

Considering you think Balogun is the back up RB, what you say doesn’t carry much weight.

Back