Helander over Katic

Wasn’t impressed with Helander tonight and Goldson was again poor. I’d like to see Katic and Helander together as the physical attributes Katic brings could work very well with Helander and see them both playing on their natural side. Goldson really needs to sit some games out.

How can folk still be moaning about the centre backs after 3 clean sheets in a row?

Did you watch the game tonight?

If it wasn't for their shite finishing and the ref giving Helander the benefit of the doubt we would've been in trouble.

Worth mentioning - Katic got hooked at half time last season for MUCH less than those two tonight. Helander struggled to win headers and got caught under the ball on a few occasions.

The Katic groupies absolutely choking to be proven right. The defence was poor tonight (Barisic apart) but this is going to be our first choice partnership so try get behind them eh?

No one wants to see any of our players having a shocker but you can't bury your head in the sand about it either.

Only saw the 2nd half tonight and Helander had a 'mare.

He's looked good up until now so I'll give him a break due to the shitey pitch.

For duals and balls up in the air then Katic is the best at that. Must be a started for Sat. Just got this feeling that Helander isn’t going to be great for us, hope I’m wrong bears.
Canny run and is now match fit which is a worry.after seeing edumson although not much, i thought we could have saved the money for a rainy day in the future or another player.

I hope Helander comes good but that was horrific tonight. Goldson was not much better and Tav was poor again.
You can make excuses when the ball is on the deck as that surface is horrible however there is little excuse for Helander and Goldson being outmuscled in the air.

Helander, although he looked suspect, was not half as bad as BT made him sound tonight. Over the piece I’ve been pleased with him bearing in mind we’ve not lost a goal with him in the team.

The Katic groupies absolutely choking to be proven right. The defence was poor tonight (Barisic apart) but this is going to be our first choice partnership so try get behind them eh?

Usually agree with most of what you say mate, but fans have every right to be asking questions, and you just know if Katic is back in against Aberdeen and makes a mistake those who fancied the other partnership will be just as quick to race in, highlight it and complain about it how he needs dropped and everyone else was right.

The self loathers who can’t wait to stick the boot in because Niko wasn’t playing should stop and think for a minute.
Katic was ragdolled by Dykes and Chris Erskine,yes Chris fuckin Erskine less than 2 weeks ago at Ibrox on a grass pitch.
I’ll give all players a bye on these shit surfaces.

I just knew I shouldn’t have logged on tonight.

I knew the Katic fan boys would be out in force because, Helander, who hadn’t put a foot wrong so far, didn’t have a great game tonight.

Not great, but hardly catastrophic. Everybody has their ropey games don’t they ? I know Katic’s tend to be erased from history but that’s just the derranged nature of this forum and probably won’t influence the managers thinking.

Goldson and Helander are the manager’s back line. That’s going to be the way it is. The fraudulent narrative that Katic is some sort of superman isn’t going to change that so make peace with that guys and you’ll probably find yourselves less permanently raging. I can only assume the sort of person who gripes at a defence who goes a good run of clean sheets is the type of person who relishes unhappiness.

The self loathers who can’t wait to stick the boot in because Niko wasn’t playing should stop and think for a minute.
Katic was ragdolled by Dykes and Chris Erskine,yes Chris fuckin Erskine less than 2 weeks ago at Ibrox on a grass pitch.
I’ll give all players a bye on these shit surfaces.

Does astrograss stop you from winning a header?

Get the feeling that some folk will be buzzing that Helander looked shaky tonight.

The only club in the world where you aren't allowed to have an iffy game. Unreal attitude.

I think that’s disappointing PW. I never want any Ranger to play badly, and would be amazed if others did.

I knew the Katic fan boys would be out in force because, Helander, who hadn’t put a foot wrong so far, didn’t have a great game tonight.

Not great, but hardly catastrophic. Everybody has their ropey games don’t they ? I know Katic’s tend to be erased from history but that’s just the derranged nature of this forum and probably won’t influence the managers thinking.

Goldson and Helander are the manager’s back line. That’s going to be the way it is. The fraudulent narrative that Katic is some sort of superman isn’t going to change that so make peace with that guys and you’ll probably find yourselves less permanently raging. I can only assume the sort of person who gripes at a defence who goes a good run of clean sheets is the type of person who relishes unhappiness.

You're making out as if the defensive performances have been good, hence the clean sheets. Reality is we've been very lucky and rode our luck, especially tonight.

I wouldn’t judge anyone on that surface. We have seen Katic, Worrall, Helander, Goldson and any number of centre halves in recent years look poor on these awful pitches. If Helander or anyone else has a stinker on a proper grass pitch then fine, by all means make a change. But I would give people a pass on these awful pitches. They are such a leveller and enable teams to build a particular type of team / style of play. Let’s be honest, Livi are nothing more than a long ball team who try to win the second ball. They are effective at what they do but it would make your eyes bleed watching that every week.

Did you see how bad the two centre halves were tonight? Katic puts in a performance like that he’s out the team and that’s a fact.

Had a perfect excuse to give Katic a run out with Helander at half time as Goldson had already been booked and the ref was an accident waiting to happen. That said Helander looked just as shaky at times, but, it doesn't help when Tavernier is bombing up the wing leaving those two exposed. It proves once again how much Candeias pulled Tav's arse out the fire by tracking back and helping out and now that's gone.

This game suited Katic more than Helander tonight why have a big squad when your not willing to rotate and get the most suitable 11 on the park

Usually agree with most of what you say mate, but fans have every right to be asking questions, and you just know if Katic is back in against Aberdeen and makes a mistake those who fancied the other partnership will be just as quick to race in, highlight it and complain about it how he needs dropped and everyone else was right.
I rate all of them and if Katic comes back in then I hope he does the business. Tbh I'm just sick of people rushing to fire the boot into players at the first opportunity they get. That'll be Helander a donkey now after a difficult game on a dodgy surface up against a side who can tackle how they want. Elbows, knees, boots the lot. Be interesting to see how tolerant the ref is when they come up against the filth.

Your groupies patter is as shite. Some players in this Rangers team are bomb proof, no matter how poor they perform. Goldson and Arfield to name two, Ojo too.

Katić has a night like Helander or Goldson tonight and he's out the team.

If your dropping Katić for a poor game then you've got to look at others who are under performing.

You're making out as if the defensive performances have been good, hence the clean sheets. Reality is we've been very lucky and rode our luck, especially tonight.

When have we been "very lucky"? I posted on the other thread where that's also being suggested: 17 competitive games - 14 wins, 2 goalless draws in Poland/Luxembourg and 1 defeat. Cup semi-final and won our first game of the Europa League group after 4 round of qualifiers.

It was the same last week after Feyenoord - you banging on about Katic and Ojo.

Enjoy the win.

We rode our luck, yes....so what ?

What’s your point? The idea of digging out threads like this is to somehow suggest we’d be better with Katic. Over Helander who, like I said, hasn’t put a foot wrong till tonight.

I don’t believe we are better with Katic. Many others do, which is fine but entirely irrelevant because what we’ve seen in the last few games IS our centre back partnership. You know that, I know that. Let’s get behind our players rather than constantly greeting because we’re dissatisfied with 1-0 wins on plastic pitches and deifying players who always get better when they don’t play.

Your groupies patter is as shite. Some players in this Rangers team are bomb proof, no matter how poor they perform. Goldson and Arfield to name two, Ojo too.

Katić has a night like Helander or Goldson tonight and he's out the team.

If your dropping Katić for a poor game then you've got to look at others who are under performing.
I really can't think of any other term to describe it. The wailing over him being dropped has been staggering. Morelos being dropped against the filth didn't attract anywhere near as much bleating.

does that not tell you that perhaps people on all sides of this wee fight might be better served supporting whoever the manager picks than looking to get one over on the ‘enemy’?

Both sides are at it.

This is starting to mirror last year, when Katic got the boot, in favour of big heid Worrall, and we took a slight dive in form.

Helander could have few complaints about being dropped after that. For their red card claim he looked like he was towing a car.
Katic offers more at set pieces too. He's generally more dynamic. That's not say Hellander is out of the reckoning in future.

Let's no start panicking just yet eh?

Aye, the big man had a bit of a mare tonight (although I'm still not convinced that it was a red card in first half). But 6 days ago, against a European team of real pedigree, he was pretty much immaculate.

We will need to watch out for his clear lack of pace though. Hadn't noticed that until tonight tbh. Can't afford to get caught out high up the park in the future.

Did you see how bad the two centre halves were tonight? Katic puts in a performance like that he’s out the team and that’s a fact.

And he frequently has put in performances like that.

If you’re suggesting he’s the “less preferred” option of the 3, I agree.

If you’re suggesting he hasn’t been just as rotten on many occasions, if you’re one of the people who acts like he’s Franco Berasi, then I’m callin bullshit.

Katic is a young player, with much potential. What he isn’t is nearly as good as people on here who constantly agitate for him to be “first choice” think he is.

This is Katic’s second season with two full preseasons.

Can we please stop the panty wetting and give big Helander a chance of maybe a dozen games

What is it with our support when the chips are down we turn against all our players... bloody depressing

I rate all of them and if Katic comes back in then I hope he does the business. Tbh I'm just sick of people rushing to fire the boot into players at the first opportunity they get. That'll be Helander a donkey now after a difficult game on a dodgy surface up against a side who can tackle how they want. Elbows, knees, boots the lot. Be interesting to see how tolerant the ref is when they come up against the filth.

I think we have a balance issue.

Goldson & Helander are similar. Relatively composed & experienced but both lacking pace & body strength.

Niko & Edmondson both more physical & more pacy but less experienced & more reactive.

I think we need one from each. Given their preferred foot I’d go Niko & Helander or Goldson & Edmondson.

does that not tell you that perhaps people on all sides of this wee fight might be better served supporting whoever the manager picks than looking to get one over on the ‘enemy’?

Both sides are at it.

Whomever is selected will always have my full support during game time. I like all of our defenders, Edmundson included. I don’t like the idea of favouritism, which more or less every manager in the land is guilty of, and I think when the better performer is dropped and we see performances like that tonight, you can’t expect fans not to discuss it or ask questions.

We can look at that and discuss it without attacking any of them, we can be supportive of them all and still be vocal if we feel one of the players has gotten a raw deal.

I wouldn’t judge anyone on that surface. We have seen Katic, Worrall, Helander, Goldson and any number of centre halves in recent years look poor on these awful pitches. If Helander or anyone else has a stinker on a proper grass pitch then fine, by all means make a change. But I would give people a pass on these awful pitches. They are such a leveller and enable teams to build a particular type of team / style of play. Let’s be honest, Livi are nothing more than a long ball team who try to win the second ball. They are effective at what they do but it would make your eyes bleed watching that every week.
It's all very well saying you wouldn't judge anyone on this pitch. Yes the pitch is terrible but that shouldn't make you miss judge numerous headers/aerial balls

Helander looked very good against Feyenoord but struggled against Livi on the plastic pitch. Think we have to remember Katic and Goldson have had very shaky games on plastic pitches, this would have been a completely new experience for helander which he needs to learn from

Back