Helander

For me the team looks better when he plays. The back 4 defend so comfortably with him in it and we seem to defend higher up the pitch.

In my opinion he should still be our first choice going forward.
Totally agree there seems a better understanding with Goodson, plus’s we always have the goal threat from the head.

Agree with OP. I don’t think we’d have conceded that goal last week if Helander was playing. Balogun has been a good addition to the squad but I think Helander is a class above him.

I always feel more confident with Helander but he needs managed well due to injury record and sometimes games just suit Balogun but I’m happy for both to play certain games I just feel we are better with Helander.

Before someone mentions 'pace', his positioning is a different level. Doesn't get dragged into silly areas that he shouldn't be in.
Yep. There has been a number of times Balogun has needed pace as a result of doing things Helander would just never have done.

The pic on the BBC website of big Fil leaping for his headed goal is a joy to behold.

I reckon he's a half an inch above CR7 in the high jump headers.

The pic on the BBC website of big Fil leaping for his headed goal is a joy to behold.

I reckon he's a half an inch above CR7 in the high jump headers.
_116642673_20049867.jpg

Cracker!

A bit harsh IMO, if Edmundson is willing to play a bit part from the bench then he's more than welcome to stay.

The simple fact that our 4th choice centre back is a better defender than one of their 1st choices is why we are so far infront right now.
Edmundson desperately needs gametime to develop. He won't get that here. He needs a loan ASAP, go out, get gametime and hopefully kick on and come back a better player, ready to challenge for a first team place.

Wow, love big Katic, but he is no where near Helander.

Another thing people forget about Helander is he's a hard bastard as well.

I actually don't think there's that much between Katic and Balogun defensively. The things Katic used to have me going off my nut at is the same with Balogun. The difference is Balogun is a really tidy footballer and brings a different dimension in that sense. It does make up for it.

As above, I love Fil (he's levels above Balogun and Katic) but would say Goldson has hit another level and is by far the best overall.

Great discussion to be having at the end of the day.

Paid for his Benfica away off night then got covid and Leon Balogun did well

I like big Fil though. Happy for him today and trust the manager to pick the best team for who we are playing.

I like Balogun and in certain games he is very useful but in the vast majority I would have Goldson/Helander. Helander reads the game much better and also gives far more balance with being left footed imo.

Helander was really good today. Scored a fine goal too. He played lika a man determined to be in the starting XI.

He reads the game very well. Some defenders who catch the eye with their pace are using that pace because they were not in the right place to start with.

I don't think we have lost a league game that Helander has played in have we ?

When was the last time Helander actually lost a game with us ?

We are blessed in the centre half department, but for me Helander is our best ch, Balogun been a great signing, imo we always look more solid with big Phil in there.

I don't think we have lost a league game that Helander has played in have we ?

When was the last time Helander actually lost a game with us ?
The Leverkusen game.

In Scotland, the League Cup final.

He hasn’t played in a league game we have lost. In fact the only other loss he has played in was the away Young Boys fiasco.

Balogun is excellent but we have a better balance to us with Helander in there as the left sided CH.
Also offers a goal threat from set pieces

I’m a fan of Balogun but I think Helander is a couple of levels above.

Goldson and Helander would be my first choice partnership.

For me the team looks better when he plays. The back 4 defend so comfortably with him in it and we seem to defend higher up the pitch.

In my opinion he should still be our first choice going forward.

Helander for me all day.

Balogun is a very capable back up; excellent business on a free transfer.

But Helander has far better positional sense and the natural balance a left sided player brings too.

His Benfica horror show aside Helander has been excellent this season whenever called upon. It was a really bad one off game though.

I really like that we have strength in depth now. I am comfortable with any 2 of 3 playing at Cb position meaning strong option on bench. The defenders are of similar levels of ability but we can put in Leon against pacier opposition for instance.Fil generally is very steady.

I prefer Helander, too.

But as long as it’s Goldson and one other, I am extremely content.

A bit harsh IMO, if Edmundson is willing to play a bit part from the bench then he's more than welcome to stay.

The simple fact that our 4th choice centre back is a better defender than one of their 1st choices is why we are so far infront right now.
He s virtually never been near the bench all season.
If balogun signs a new deal then it will be hard for Katic never mind edmunson.
Due to his stupidity, being no where good enough, and no doubt on a decent wage then i would move him on.
We have an academy and even one from there would be 5th in line if edmunson goes.
Bassey can also play centre half.
At the moment i would let jones, edmunson, stewart and defoe go at the end of the season.
We need to free spaces and wages up.
Davis/ mcgregor - a one year deal if possible.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but Ryan Jack’s goal means Balogun is the only player who hasn’t scored this season. Still a good player as is Helander.

Someone was saying we haven't lost a game when Helander has played 90 minutes.

I'm in favour of Helander starting over Balogun, he is only 27 so has the potential to have a higher resale value than Balogun who is approaching 33 so won't have much resale value. It is better to develop younger players where possible, with some obvious exceptions when an older player is still extremely good like Davis and Mcgregor.

Back