Helander

My wife sent me a pic of him in Edinburgh Airport earlier tonight. Cool story etc.

Its great that we now have a settled back 5. Helander has improved the defence on a whole and Goldson as well. Maybe less work/stress for Goldson now as he has someone with experience next to him.

Read on another thread that Andy Little on clyde took a tally of his battles with Dykes, 11-1 in Helanders favour. Look at the last game at Livi and Helander is like a different player.

I'm not on for hyperbole, but I have similar feelings going into games now as I did under Walter. IE we're going to win, only question is how we will do it.

He makes up for lack of pace with his positional sense. Let's face it if the boy had pace on top of his other attributes he wouldn't be playing in Scotland.

I agree, just as I said, it's a slight concern for me. A defender can't get his position correct every single time.

Reads game very well. Calm. Decent in sir.

Not the quickest so one on one with a fast player is my only slight worry but looking good.

I agree, just as I said, it's a slight concern for me. A defender can't get his position correct every single time.
Is what it is we can't get someone that's a left footed CH who are the guys that cost the most and with everything else decent experience, good defender pace etc etc. Guys that have all of that at his age are way out of our price range. In the Scottish game pace is the 1 thing you can get away with most of the time if you have the rest imo. When you actually think of it we've never really had a really fast CH apart from maybe Bjorklund.

Only slight concern for me is his lack of pace.

As I said in the match thread Dykes is quite quick and it looked like Helander was running in quick sand trying to chase after him.
I agree he is a clever player but has no pace,hopefully he can develop into a Davie Weir where his experience generally let him avoid getting into a foot race.

Should try the Cardoso song for him and we might even get the proper words sung, since his name actually goes with defender and not "the fuckin provos" :rolleyes:

Ayee Aye!
Big Filip Helander....

Anyone know how many goals we've conceded whilst he's been on the pitch?

Can't be that many in relation to minutes...

He was absolute class today and bossed Dykes out the game, he is settling in now and we are starting to see why we paid the money we did for him.

Dykes 1 - 11 Helander.

Andy Little on Clyde when describing their second have 'duels'.

Consistency of Selection is reaping rewards - a settled back 5 improving each game.

Winning games without conceding is the perfect result in my eyes.

Big man seems to be strolling games now, never looks flustered or under any real pressure. Brings a real calmness to the defence and him and Borna seem to be growing stronger and stronger with every game

I've figured out what it is with Helander...

...when he runs, it looks like he is running down a hill and trying to slow himself down.

Next time you watch him you'll see what I mean.

I know all the plaudits go to Alfie but I think the guys at the back should be just as lauded everyone solid as a rock,wee mention for Borna who is becoming a wee ace up our sleeve. Another clean sheet and a good away win

He plays a bit like a younger version of David Weir, doesn't have great pace but more than makes up for it with positional sense and game awareness..

Only slight concern for me is his lack of pace.

As I said in the match thread Dykes is quite quick and it looked like Helander was running in quick sand trying to chase after him.
If he had pace his career path wouldn't have been Malmö to 2 smaller Italian sides then us

He plays a bit like a younger version of David Weir, doesn't have great pace but more than makes up for it with positional sense and game awareness..
All we need is a rampaging Bougherra type and alongside Davis and McGregor the band is getting back together.
I agree with the lack of pace as he's slower than a week in jail but his positional sense and composure to our left side is spot on and it's clearly benefits Barasic. Cannavaro had no pace and was something like 5ft"10 iirc but what a top player

He has had 9 clean sheets out of 12 matches with us so far.

Two of the matches we conceded were against Porto and Young Boys and he scored a winner in the other one.

Its great that we now have a settled back 5. Helander has improved the defence on a whole and Goldson as well. Maybe less work/stress for Goldson now as he has someone with experience next to him.

Read on another thread that Andy Little on clyde took a tally of his battles with Dykes, 11-1 in Helanders favour. Look at the last game at Livi and Helander is like a different player.

I'm not on for hyperbole, but I have similar feelings going into games now as I did under Walter. IE we're going to win, only question is how we will do it.
Hi mate I said the same to myself watching Gers today. I’m really starting to trust this team & I’ve not had this since Walters 3 in a row team. Long may it continue...:)

Other than Livingston in that cup, he's been rock solid.

A classy defender, no frills, just solid. Reads the game well, commanding, good range of passing, deals with danger, rarely turned or caught out of position and never panics. You don't need great pace when you have qualities that Helander possesses.

Clearly listened to Gerrard's advice after the above game on how to deal with a side like Livingston on that pitch as you saw yesterday - never got too tight, took a step back, read the ball then attacked it. He won 99.9% of duels with Dykes.

Forming a great partnership with Goldson.

He said during the last international break that he knew how big Rangers were prior to signing but didn't realise how big until he signed. Now taken away by the size of the club. He also mentioned that Scottish football was like nothing he had experienced before and that he was taking a bit longer to adjust.

He's been a mountain since then. A lot more solidity about our back four as well.

Our defence has just looked far more balanced & secure with him in the side.

Not only has he brought the best out of Barisic but he is bringing the best out of Goldson. Goldson is benefiting from being able to focus on his own game in the knowledge he has experience beside him.

Calm, composed, well positioned & excellent reader of the game. Seems he will rarely be caught out despite being slow & has both Goldson & Barisic next to him who are no slouches

Back