Helicopter Sunday: happy 14th anniversary

SB·

The greatest end to a league season in history. I went to a pub on Sauchiehall Street to watch the game that day with little hope of anything going our way, and only really remember the roar in the corner of the near-silent pub as Motherwell's first goal went in. It wasn't until 30 minutes after full time that I realised what had happened at Fir Park, and by then the celebrations were in full flow.

What a day.

I thought we had no chance that day so didnt even bother going out to watch it.

Was checking the scores on teletext then with 5 minutes left i switched the radio on....and the rest is history!

The previous week, we had stuffed Motherwell 4-0 and we all left Ibrox feeling that they had absolutely no chance, and the league was already lost. That made the joy and celebrations even better!

The previous week, we had stuffed Motherwell 4-0 and we all left Ibrox feeling that they had absolutely no chance, and the league was already lost. That made the joy and celebrations even better!
Still felt we had no chance at Easter Road until the injury time at Fir Park. Was only 14 at the time brilliant day

Got tickets off here on the Thursday night

Surreal day that is for sure

Hibs went into knowing they were qualified for Europe unless we hammered them or Aberdeen doing the same to Hearts and Hibs losing say 1-0 to us there had to be a 6 or 7 swing in goal difference

Of course Celtic were 1-0 up midway through the 1st half and of course we done the same in the 2nd half by then it clear both teams were happy as they done what was needed and from memory it just like a pre-season friendly for the last 20 minutes then THAT roar and bedlam from our end then finding out Scott McDonald scored a 2nd

What a day that was! Two brilliant goals from that we aussie prick right at the end for Motherwell.. will never forget it!

I always remember that day as I was lucky enough to get a ticket.

I picked up my mates and at the final house his Mrs asked when will he be home and he gave a time, she then said but what happens when you win the league. We just laughed and said it wasn't going to happen.

Who knew that it would be such a fantastic day.

I was also on TV that day and realised how bald I was becoming so a couple of days later shaved the hair off. Hard to believe I've been a baldy so long!!!!

I had moved house the day before and gotten up at 5 am to start unpacking stuff to get the kitchen squared away. By about 4pm I was flagging and decided a cold beer would revive me so called in to my new local to watch the last 15/20 minutes albeit surrounded my sheep & scum.
Still have a very vivid memory of the sight and sounds of them and few few Rangers voices pulling together to cheer the final whistles.
The packed out pub was virtually empty by the time the helicopter landed.

Our bus headed off on the 3.5 hour jolly to Easter Rd with a little bit of hope and zero expectation. One of the older, more sensible guys on the bus remarked just as we left, "relax, it will all come good in the last couple of minutes".

News filtered through Motherwell were behind, we were still 0 0 and I am giving it the usual shit. Same guy is sitting next to me at Easter Rd and says again, "chill, wait until the last couple of mins".

The rest is history as they say, but when Motherwell scored and amidst all the bedlam I was very calmly informed "I told you" :cool:

I often watch the dvd of that day and still get a chill when Gerry McPish says "There's Alex Mcleish, praying for a miracle" and a second later the south stand erupts. Stunning.

The greatest end to a league season in history. I went to a pub on Sauchiehall Street to watch the game that day with little hope of anything going our way, and only really remember the roar in the corner of the near-silent pub as Motherwell's first goal went in. It wasn't until 30 minutes after full time that I realised what had happened at Fir Park, and by then the celebrations were in full flow.

What a day.

Watched it in the Cross Keys, what a day that was, the champagne and fireworks were out.

Had a ticket,gave it to a mate weeks earlier because I was in London for my neice’s christening,watched the game on teletext and don’t remember getting home that night

Stolen from here many moons ago. Hats off to the bear who penned this -

HELICOPTER SUNDAY

Let me tell you the tale of a Sunday in May,
We were two points behind Celtic with one game to play.
The tims had been crowing "the title's in the bag,
We've won the league again, fly the flag, fly the flag."
They would be taught a lesson they'll always remember,
Don't write off the Rangers, we never surrender.

We descended on Leith on the 22nd of May,
The waiting was over, it was judgement day.
With hope in our hearts and trannies in hand,
We packed ourselves into the Easter Road stand.

The ref blew the whistle, the action began,
A wave of excitement swept over the fans.
But half an hour in came the news we were dreading,
Sutton had scored, for 2nd place we were heading.

Soon half-time arrived and the score remained zero,
We looked to the heavens and prayed for a hero.
The teams re-emerged and the second half started,
Not one of our loyal fans had departed.

Then all of a sudden - a promising break,
Buffel to Novo who made no mistake.
1-0 to Rangers, we were off the mark,
Our attentions now turned to events at Fir Park.

Celtic were coasting as the minutes ticked by,
They sang Championees and the Fields of Athenry.
But you and I know there was a sting in the tail,
For theirs is a club which is destined to fail.

Enter Scott McDonald with an overhead kick,
Douglas is nowhere and Timmy is sick.
Their fans were despondent and looked to the skies,
But there was no solace there for their tear-stained eyes.

For a helicopter was approaching the ground,
But it wasn't descending, it was turning around.
Over on the touchline, O'Neill lost the plot,
Astonishingly brilliant? I think fu*king not!

Soon word reached Leith and the Rangers fans roared,
The players on the pitch knew that Motherwell had scored.
The defence kept possession, we awaited more news,
Tension gripped all of the red, white & blues.

Then two minutes later - a heart-warming sound,
Another eruption at our end of the ground.
2-1 to Motherwell and it had to be him,
McDonald again, not bad for a Tim.

The final whistle sounded and the copter arrived,
This time it was landing with the SPL prize.
Strangers hugged strangers up and down the land,
As the words KEEP BELIEVING appeared in the stand

The singing began - "Cheer up Marty,
Come over to our place, we're having a party."
And over at Ibrox, though minutes had passed,
A sea of red, white & blue had amassed.

Hundreds of bears lined Edmiston Drive,
The team bus arrived and the place came alive.
The party continued well into the night,
A reward for a season of courage and fight.

When you're finding it hard to muster belief,
Think back to the day when the sun shone on Leith.
'Cos like the moon landings and JFK,
We'll always remember that Sunday in May.

The odds were against us but we won the race,
Let the others come after us, we welcome the chase

What a day.

Remember driving along the Kingsway when Motherwell scored and going bonkers in the car. They scored again and I nearly crashed celebrating. Mounted the nearest pavement, jumped out and started dancing about on the path. Must have looked like an absolute idiot. No caring.

Went out and got smashed that night.

Superb

Went to Hateley's in Renfrew with my old man and some mates, expecting hee-haw just like almost everyone else.

Place went absolutely bonkers then we got a lift up to Ibrox where there were guys in the ground with their DOGS because they had went a walk with the dog to avoid hearing the score then headed in after the title came to us.
A guy behind us had a case of 24 Tennents and was just dishing cans out to anyone who wanted one!
Unreal.

I was there that day couldn't believe it when the first roar went up the bounce leaving the stadium don't think my feet touched the stairs

When you think about how you felt when the second Motherwell goal went in

Dont think it will ever be beaten

Nachos penalty in Florence may be close but more in an emotional sense (please wee man just score).

Scott McDonalds second goal was total lose all control of your faculties for 10 minutes stuff.

This is from the old FF site from many years ago...

On 25 May 2003, Rangers clinched the SPL Championship in the most dramatic fashion with a tense victory over Dunfermline at Ibrox. Despite being ahead in the title race for part of the second half, Celtic's 4-0 victory at Rugby Park meant they finished second, as the Gers clinched a world record 50th League Championship. Any Rangers supporter would tell you that the 6-1 win over Dunfermline would be hard to beat for drama, but none of us knew what was to come in season 2004/2005.

Fast forward almost two years to 22 May 2005, Rangers had all but thrown away the title race after losing 2-1 at Ibrox against Celtic. Victories over Aberdeen, Hearts and Motherwell followed, but only the most optimistic supporter thought the Gers could still win the league. Rangers needed a poor Motherwell side to beat Celtic at Fir Park, while the Light Blues had to negogiate a tricky away tie at Easter Road against a Hibs side on course for a UEFA Cup spot.

It didn't look good early on; Nacho Novo missed an open goal from a tight angle while Chris Sutton put Celtic 1-0 up at Fir Park. As the second half dragged on, what hope remained amongst the Rangers supporters began to fade. With minutes to go in each game, both Rangers and Celtic were holding a one goal lead, when a long ball from Motherwell eventually finds it way to Scott McDonald. The Aussie, with his back to goal, hits a fantastic shot over his left shoulder and it sails into the net.

Easter Road erupts.

As the final seconds of Rangers' game ticked away, the news filtered through that Scott McDonald had doubled Motherwell's lead in the space of a few minutes. The victory was secured, the most dramatic Scottish Championship win was secured, the helicopter changed direction.

-----------------

I was in the Hall in Sauchiehall St with my best mate (whos probably getting sick of me telling everyone I meet this story) watching the Gers game. The Hall had decided to only show the Gers game cos O'Neills next door was showing the Mhankies game.

Anyhoo, we arrived late-ish, and the only seats available were right in front of the screens at the disabled bogs. I had my earphones with me so I could listen to the reptile game on my phones radio, and from what I could see the only person in the pub with a wireless (I have to say I was definately one of the non-believers!)

With a mixture of the shite reception, the in-pub commentary and my mate asking me every 2 minutes what was happening, I was mentally all over the place. I nearly threw my earphones to the other side of the pub in disgust when Sutton scored in the first half. I kept listening though, ready to call it a day when they got their second and effectively tied up the game.

When I heard McDonalds first goal go in, it was broadcast almost simultenously with the Gers game (I think Jock Brown says it first then the picture shrinks and you see the goal) I was going crazy with disbelief and so was the whole pub, went absolutely mental.

I hugged my mate who was hugging me and pushing me back at the same time and telling me to "get on the fucking radio!!", so collected myself, sat down, and carried on listening. Hands trembling, every time a Celtic player is mentioned my arsehole shrinks.

When McDonald made his initial run into the box for the second, Peter Martin was explaining he has options in the box, I was totally silent. Then when he scored, I jumped about 18 foot in the air, and in mid-jump turned around to look at a sea of people completely focused on me. I then realised they hadn't updated/mentioned the score on the telly, and when I screamed "ITS FUCKING TWO ONE TO MOTHERWELL!!!" the whole place erupted. Cue songs, (tears of joy from myself) and embracing fellow bears.

One guy said to me after the final whistle went his girlfriend couldn't look at my face when it was 1-1 cos she was terrifed I was going to be the one to break the news of Celtic re-taking the lead!!

We had another wee sing-song, finished the drinks and headed to Ibrox.

I'll never forget it.

jimbaxterisgod

-------------------------

Having stopped travelling to away games a few years ago, I went with my usual routine of heading round to a mates dads house who gave up his season ticket a few years ago. He had the full season Setanta package, so me and three mates invade his place, kick his dog out and his wife (sorry) every couple of weeks to watch the away matches.

So round we all go and settle down with half a dozen bottles of beer each. Now I have to be honest and say that throughout the ninety minutes a lot of the talk wasn't really about what was happening on the pitch at Easter Road. Much of the chat was about restructuring the team for the following season. Who's good enough, who's not, new manager etc, (particularly as Gordon Marshall had made a bit of a mess of things at FirPark) "But look at the trophies he's won!". All the usual stuff.
It was around about the 75 minute mark that an argument / disagreement finally erupted about what we were watching. "This is boring as %%$£, lets have a look to see if Motherwell are anywhere near an equaliser". "No $$$$ing way are those bassas going on ma telly". Finally after about 10 minutes of this he relented and over it went.

I will never forget the next ten seconds as long as I live.

He flipped the channel over. But being the technophobe he is, he got it wrong and Eurosport popped up. "Aw come on, sort yourself out man" we joked. He got it right this time and as we adjust to what we are seeing someone is having a feeble shot at goal (not sure yet what way the teams are shooting). A small guy in the box controls it on his chest, it sits up nicely. Bang. Goal. We start celebrating in turn, one after the other as it becomes apparent what is going on. Head in the hands type stuff. Disbelief.

Then as the beggars kick off, it's every man for himself. Shouting allsorts of nonsense with no-one actually listening to anybody else. Complete panic / euphoria / shock, god knows what. I notice some additional bodies gathering in his kitchen. The wife has returned, and some inquisitive neighbours are sticking their heads round the door. A dog is in the living room. The sense of panic has transferred to it, I kid you not!. Arguments start again about which game we should be watching. We agree to get the bears on. But hang on......... here come Motherwell. Awwww wtf are you going son? Corner flag ffsake son! Oh he's into the box "Cut back cut back, don't shoot from....YYEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!"

Absolute Bedlam.

Amid celebrations, I try to get the point across that we need to see the bears game NOW! We flip the channel to watch The Rangers stroke the ball along the half way line to clinch title number 51.
A period of surreal calm then develops for me. Just sitting sipping beer, looking at the floor. "Unbelievable" "Unbelievable" keeps running through my head.

Having gone through a similar hell of not being in control at Ibrox 2 years earlier I was convinced that was a once in a lifetime experience as far as supporting the Gers. Thankfully, I was wrong.

Thank you Rangers, an amazing day.

Miko

----------------------

Due to family commitments, I couldn't go to the game [even though a ticket was offered via some of the Johnstone Bears.]

I spent the day in the kitchen making lasagne and listening to the Rangers game on the radio. I was one of those who most definately didn't 'believe' [shame on me.]

About 15 minutes before the end of the game my wife arrived home and began blethering the usual guff about how the shopping went etc.

SUDDENLY, over my wife talking, I heard a roar on the radio and caught something about Motherwell scoring. I ran through to the living room and switched on Setanta on the telly and saw the score was 1-1.I knew we had a chance then [but the fatalist in me kept saying, either Sellik would get a penalty or we'd lose a stupid goal], so I went back to the kitchen.

The wife continued to show me the 'bargains' she'd found at Braehead and, over her voice, I heard uproar on the radio and said to my wife "Surely they haveny lost another one."

I looked through to the telly in the living room and saw a Motherwell player running away, obviously in celebration. The score on the top left of the screen said Motherwell 2 Sellik 1.

If you've ever seen the Rab C Nesbitt episode where they are in Spain and Rab is ranting at the world and finds his Spanish 'brother', I LIVED that episode. I ran out to the patio and shouted my head off and discovered my 'brother' a couple of streets away. He was doing exactly the same thing !
My son-in-law, another poster on here, arrived an hour or so later and we spent one of the best nights EVER.

You couldny BUY that feeling.

Hyramkingotyre

And one more...

Football wise, May 22nd 2005 had to be the best day of my life. I said at the time we won the League in 2003 that the manner in which we won it would never be beaten....ever. The twists and turns during that day in 2003 were quite unbelievable.

However, the way events unfolded in the last few minutes of last season will never be matched. Out of the blue, the roar from the Rangers end with a few minutes left as the news filtered through that Motherwell had equalised. Even the players realised something was going on. The game just stopped dead for 10 seconds or so while the players tried to digest what had happened.

A few minutes later, from nowhere, the league Championship was ours. The feeling can't really be explained. It was one of the most memorable days in Rangers history. After the celebrations it was over an hour before I realised Motherwell had actually won.

May 22nd 2005 will still be talked about in 50 years time. I have the DVD, mobile phone videos, match ticket and various videos posted on FF.

However, that day will live forever in my memory. I am just thankful I was there to witness it all.

It was a great day to be a Rangers fan. However, no matter what, everyday is a great day to be a Rangers fan.

Legend76

Just realised Gordon Marshall has been involved in a couple of end of season thrillers against the poets, Kilmarnock & Motherwell.

Will never forget the commentary on the radio, I was still jumping about my bedroom when the second went in. Ran downstairs, straight out the front door and ran up the street screaming. My dad grabbed me and stuck me in the car before just driving about with the radio blaring. The sweetest moment was driving past one of them who had obviously left the pub in a huff with a look i've never seen since. Total disbelief.

What a day, in the pub 1-0 up comes through Motherwell had scored absolute bedlam afterwards it was honestly 3 days later that I realised Motherwell had actually gone on and won the game.

Looking over the footage of the last minute or so seeing Eck telling our players the tims game was finished and then seeing Ferguson celebrating with Rae whilst our game was still ongoing still gives me goosebumps.

Our bus headed off on the 3.5 hour jolly to Easter Rd with a little bit of hope and zero expectation. One of the older, more sensible guys on the bus remarked just as we left, "relax, it will all come good in the last couple of minutes".

News filtered through Motherwell were behind, we were still 0 0 and I am giving it the usual shit. Same guy is sitting next to me at Easter Rd and says again, "chill, wait until the last couple of mins".

The rest is history as they say, but when Motherwell scored and amidst all the bedlam I was very calmly informed "I told you" :cool:

I often watch the dvd of that day and still get a chill when Gerry McPish says "There's Alex Mcleish, praying for a miracle" and a second later the south stand erupts. Stunning.
Stephen Thompson while on the bench actually does the praying motion when the roar goes up ...spooky!

What a day. All still very clear in my mind. Well the last few minutes anyway. Rangers first title under Souness was close to this but I still think HS still tops it.

Great thread. I went for a long walk in the local countryside that afternoon and took a radio with me. I deliberately did not listen to it until about 10 minutes before our game, which was on BBC Scotland medium wave, was due to finish. I soon gathered that we were winning and that both teams were simply going through the motions in the run up to full time. I didn't know how that mob were doing until with about 5 minutes to go the commentator said, "Rangers may be winning but the the title is heading to Parkhead with the score at Fir Park, Motherwell 0 Celtc 1. At that point I said to myself, "Only 1-0! That mob's bottle will be going" and I switched over to their game about a minute before Scott McDonald equalised. I duly went mental, heard Chick Young say he thought there were still more goals in the game and then switched off my radio with my heart rate going ten to the dozen. I walked a hundred yards before sticking the radio back on and suddenly realised that Motherwell had scored again. Another bout of me going crazy (about 200 yards from home by this time) then ensued with me belting out Follow Follow as I headed back to my house. I sunk two bottles of red wine that night and had an enjoyable Monday getting feedback from a tim sat near me at work who had been at Fir Park the previous day.

Flicked between both games until the tims went ahead then hid upstairs

Heard some screaming and shouting out on the street and was thinking “wtf?” Assuming it was a Tim celebration.

Went down to check the tele and realised we’d actually gone and won it

Straight in the car and up to Ibrox to wait for the team coming back (after a visit to the mega store to buy the following seasons top :D )

Shame it was wasted by some idiots running on to the pitch.

What a day.

Mental

A thread pops up every few months of helicopter Sunday and they are always great reading because we all live the moment again in our heads.

As for me,I didn't believe we would do it so after working nightshift on the Saturday night I didn't even bother setting my alarm to get up and watch it. Woke up half way through the second half and put on radio Scotland. Screamed when Motherwell equalised and run upstairs to put on the tv,just in time to see them take the lead,me screaming at the top of my voice going mental with my bewildered flatmate watching on :)

Ended up going down my local with my flatmate for a few beers,I found a wallet and handed it in behind the bar. About 10 minutes later I got a tap on my shoulder by a grateful punter who had his wallet back,he handed me a £10 for some drinks.
Bought a round for me and my mate and put the change in the fruit machine and won £70,went into London afterwards and got absolutely smashed drinking in pubs around Angel along with a few other random fans.

Latest posts

Back