Help from SPFL if we manage EL QFs SFs & Final?

fotze2

Official Ticketer
I am sure that they will falling over themselves to assist. That'll be 3 games to rearrange,... :):)

source.gif

if we were to win EL

one game would have to played the 25th/26th August one game would to be played on 15th/16th September, the rest probably in January

Super Cup on 24th September in Budapest

We have Ross County home on Friday 2nd October

Last edited:
They'll allow to us to be awarded 2-0 defeats in the league games we miss rather than the usual 3-0 defeat if you can't fulfil or complete a fixture, which is about as much as we can expect really.

We could really do without finishing the 19/20 Europa League. Seems a strange thing to say, tin hat on here, but I would not be massively disappointed if we go out, especially given the score from the 1st leg, plus the fact the 19/20 season already feels done.

The league is obviously the massive priority this year, followed by qualifying for the group stages of the 20/21 EL group stages. Apart from the kudos of winning the EL, the only benefit, given the games will be behind closed doors anyway, would be qualifying for the CL, and therefore perhaps releasing funds for new players.

The SPFL would allow us to cancel games though, safe in the knowledge it would allow the Tims to get a few points on the board ahead of us and give them a psychological boost early in the season.

We could really do without finishing the 19/20 Europa League. Seems a strange thing to say, tin hat on here, but I would not be massively disappointed if we go out, especially given the score from the 1st leg, plus the fact the 19/20 season already feels done.

The league is obviously the massive priority this year, followed by qualifying for the group stages of the 20/21 EL group stages. Apart from the kudos of winning the EL, the only benefit, given the games will be behind closed doors anyway, would be qualifying for the CL, and therefore perhaps releasing funds for new players.

The SPFL would allow us to cancel games though, safe in the knowledge it would allow the Tims to get a few points on the board ahead of us and give them a psychological boost early in the season.

The scenario you’ve outlined would literally be worth about £50m to the club and the ability to attract a higher calibre of player if we were in this seasons Champions League group stages. Plus the bragging rights of it immediately being a far higher achievement of their incomplete 9 in a row.

That’s a dream scenario, yet you’d turn it down?!

They’ll probably reassured the other clubs that they won’t be inconvenienced by our run if that happens

If we won the Europa League, it would pish all over the mentally challengeds 'Nine' in a row achievement. That's not even up for discussion really. It wouldn't just be kudos. It would mean potentially massive and far reaching opportunities for the club and not to mention would hasten our recovery into hyper drive. Prize money, marketing opportunities, increased recruitment options and immediate access to the Champions League group stages. That's before I even considered the total euphoria of the fans.

Not to mention, it would be the first European trophy we'd won in nearly 50 years. It may only be Europe's second tournament but it would be the first time a club outwith the top 5 leagues has won it since Shakhtar Donetsk did so in 2012. It would be massive.

You forgot the clincher, that when the second wave of Covid arrives and there is no other option than to cancel the rest of the season. Guess what's next?

If we win on Thursday, the QF is in a neutral venue on Monday is it not? Would we even fly home?

We are too short on bodies to go much further especially being 3-1 down and having to go to Germany.

It would take a monumental effort to move to the next round but if we did we will get mo help from them we will be left 3-4 games behind them so they have less pressure on them .

Last edited:
We are too short on bodies to go much further especially being 3-0 down and having to go to Germany.

It would take a monumental effort to move to the next round but if we did we will get mo help from them we will be left 3-4 games behind them so they have less pressure on them .
3-1 down

In regards to the OP, The powers that be will be too concerned about finishing the Scottish Cup than nonsense like a European competition.

One thing we can ansolutely guarantee is if we are ahead in the league and lockdown comes around again, as it may well do, there will be no award !

The scenario you’ve outlined would literally be worth about £50m to the club and the ability to attract a higher calibre of player if we were in this seasons Champions League group stages. Plus the bragging rights of it immediately being a far higher achievement of their incomplete 9 in a row.

That’s a dream scenario, yet you’d turn it down?!
I appreciate what you are saying, and I am a bit 50/50 on it to be honest, especially given the financial benefits that could help set us up financially for the near future.

However, with no fans at the EL games, and the way it has been postponed and will get played out, it would not seem like the same massive achievement, and we would not be able to celebrate in the same way. Plus, it is a massive longshot that we would even get through to the next round, never mind win it. It is only getting played out anyway to satisfy TV/Sponsors.

Personally I am not that overly fussed about 9IAR, nor 10iar, as an achievement. Even going back to when we won it in the 90s, I was more concerned about success in Europe, as we were on the precipice of being one of the truly elite clubs in Europe, G14 etc, before TV money kicked in across Europe. We were sitting at the table with Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Man Utd, etc.

However, there is no denying that this is a truly massive season as far as the league is concerned, also with regards the managements future, and the question is would we sacrifice domestic success, in this season of all seasons, for EL success? In a normal season I would always choose European success. But I think for the club and fans as a whole, the league must be a massive priority. Will we accept failure in Europe this year. Yes. Will we accept losing the league this year. No.

Given the extra EL games, and possible cancelled domestic games, we could end up an almost insurmountable 12-15 points behind before we even get past Autumn. I just don’t know if playing out a few extra games in the EL would be a worthy sacrifice, in terms of the league title this year, even if we were to actually win it.

I've just wangled my way into buying Hampden for a steal, noo they are looking to cut ranjurs some slack for progress in Urup.

Fuuk sake naw.

Yours.

Wullie Haughey.

I appreciate what you are saying, and I am a bit 50/50 on it to be honest, especially given the financial benefits that could help set us up financially for the near future.

However, with no fans at the EL games, and the way it has been postponed and will get played out, it would not seem like the same massive achievement, and we would not be able to celebrate in the same way. Plus, it is a massive longshot that we would even get through to the next round, never mind win it. It is only getting played out anyway to satisfy TV/Sponsors.

Personally I am not that overly fussed about 9IAR, nor 10iar, as an achievement. Even going back to when we won it in the 90s, I was more concerned about success in Europe, as we were on the precipice of being one of the truly elite clubs in Europe, G14 etc, before TV money kicked in across Europe. We were sitting at the table with Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Man Utd, etc.

However, there is no denying that this is a truly massive season as far as the league is concerned, also with regards the managements future, and the question is would we sacrifice domestic success, in this season of all seasons, for EL success? In a normal season I would always choose European success. But I think for the club and fans as a whole, the league must be a massive priority. Will we accept failure in Europe this year. Yes. Will we accept losing the league this year. No.

Given the extra EL games, and possible cancelled domestic games, we could end up an almost insurmountable 12-15 points behind before we even get past Autumn. I just don’t know if playing out a few extra games in the EL would be a worthy sacrifice, in terms of the league title this year, even if we were to actually win it.
If we were to win the EL, then fuk their possible tainted ten. It only means something to them, not to me.

Back