Help needed

Is it in a cast? If so part of the risk is the limb swelling within the cast and cut off your circulation. I was told not to fly with a broken arm/shoulder. Said you could lose a hand if it happened :eek: Also holiday insurance won’t cover you if you travel against medical advice.

Bit of both mate obviously flying after operation increases the risk of clotting , so asked the surgeon if I can drive and not ideal sittin in a car all that time, that's why was thinking about a campervan etc where I could keep more mobile
Train to London first thing tomorrow, Eurostar to Paris, Paris to Seville, sorted.

Yes mate basically exactly the same I'm currently just out recovery and awaiting the surgeon for .ore info but this is all stuff that was mentioned jags etc.
Just remembered something else, the only reason I got out after 1 night instead of 2/3 was that where I lived had no stairs and that the Physios signed me off the next day, you will maybe have to prove to the Physios you can hop about in your crutches to get about as you won’t be able to put any weight on your ankle for 6 weeks, if you can’t the Consultant won’t let you out probably, I was okay as I had my crutches for a week before surgery as initially A&E thought I only had soft tissue damage (idiots), so I was okay with the crutches.

Could try getting the train or ferry to France and renting a campervan from there.

Try googling campervan rentals in Calais or Paris. I just did a search there and there are people renting out campervans from Calais on a site called yescapa.

Would make it easier having one with the steering wheel on the other side.

I broke my ankle in Manchester and had to hobble around piccadilly until the first bus in the morning to Leeds then train to Glasgow. I had to hop off buses and trains and into my mums house the next day. I was in agony but just went to ma kip, the next day I had to hop up to the health centre on and off buses, then they sent me straight to the Western infirmary because it was that swollen. It didn't need operated, I refused the cast and just took the crutches and bandage. They said my ankle might not be the same again without the cast, I took the chance, I took a while, probably a couple of years to get back to normal, kicking a ball without pain.

What I'm trying to say is if I were in your position I would go, nothing would stop me, it's probably precautionary the medics have hit out with the worst case scenario.

What I'm trying to say is if I were in your position I would go, nothing would stop me, it's probably precautionary the medics have hit out with the worst case scenario.

Clots can move from the legs to the lungs and cause a life-threatening condition called a pulmonary embolism. While a pulmonary embolism can be treated, it’s associated with a high mortality rate.

What about a train to Portsmouth, ferry to Bilbao and train to Seville?

Could try getting the train or ferry to France and renting a campervan from there.

Try googling campervan rentals in Calais or Paris. I just did a search there and there are people renting out campervans from Calais on a site called yescapa.

Would make it easier having one with the steering wheel on the other side.
Cheers mate ill have alook

Clots can move from the legs to the lungs and cause a life-threatening condition called a pulmonary embolism. While a pulmonary embolism can be treated, it’s associated with a high mortality rate.
Yes mate this is what ive been told by the surgeons, the wife and kids after hearing that took the decision that flying was a non starter..
Ps didn't even think they liked me that much either lol..

I literally feel your pain.

Due to fly out tomorrow, managed to get a ticket on Friday.

No hassle from the wife and it was all going well until early this morning when my 10 year old was taken into hospital with breathing issues.

No idea what’s causing it, don’t think it’s covid and more a chest infection but she is hospital and I can’t just fly out under current circumstances. My dogs also done his paw in which was being dealt with but mixing all the issues together I just can’t go away for the 4 days.

Gave my ticket to a mate who is also taking my flight so i am not down in cash which is about the only thing I can say isn’t a complete bastard.

as for your own circumstances, my old man was in America and took a clot in his lung and was advised not fly but also to empty his life savings to be treated, he chose to fly and it very nearly killed him and when he got back he developed another clot and was basically out the game for 2 years recovering. I wouldn’t risk it mate

So I have a ticket for Wednesday with my son and wife, I played in a charity match on saturday for a freind who lost his life. Anyway I broke my ankle and I'm literally just out of surgery, and been told it's too dangerous to fly, and must keep it mobile and stuff, anyone able to help with a campervan hire or any other ideas, I need to be there I'm totally devastated. Please help a bear out
I will take your ticket and your wife. Anything to help.

Please don’t listen to the eejits on this thread telling you just to fly anyway. You would be at seriously increased risk of clotting.

Speak to the doc tomorrow and say you NEED to go. They may advise a course of warfarin or something if you’re hell bent on going, but please don’t just say “fk it”

To be honest I wouldn't be going if I were you.
Even outwith the more than little travel issue, the day or two in that heat in big crowds while getting used to getting about with crutches it will be a nightmare and in the stadium if we score could get very messy for you.

Like R. W. B. I broke my heel bone last May and the first two or three weeks were a fecking nightmare, between my foot hurting, my hands blistering and arms and shoulder aching while I got used to the crutches, feck that

I’m an expert in this field.

Don’t be so quick to call things out as “rubbish”. Compression stockings have been used in the medical profession for decades.
They’d be fine for you or I but this guys just has surgery and has been advised not to fly!

Wouldn’t be me. Would be looking into the train option suggested though.

Please don’t fly, in 1994 I had a cast fitted to my hand and arm after tendon operation 3 days before I was due to go on holiday- I said feck it I’m going and hid the cast under a jumper- long story short, I ended up having cast taken off in hospital abroad to relieve swelling they bandaged me up but spent the full holiday in agony and had to go back to hospital the day before flight back to get a half cast fitted - cost me £700 as insurance wouldn’t pay out as I travelled against advice

Unlucky bud.

I ripped my arm open in Alicante in 06 and had to get it stitched up think it was @GEODGC and his mates telling me the stitches would explode mid flight cos of the pressure :))

Didn’t have a fit to fly certificate but was I %^*& staying in Spain.

Just chances it and flew home but I was young and foolish in those days.

sorry to be a bore but the people advising you to go are really giving you very very bad advice

clotting can cause many problems

i know you are gutted not to be going, but for you and your family the best thing you can do is not travel and follow your doctors advice
That's why he may need to jag himself for 6 weeks.
I done that when I snapped my Achillies a week before going on holiday.
Had moon boot and crutches. A couple of flights each way was no problem.
Biggest pain was injecting myself every day

Unlucky bud.

I ripped my arm open in Alicante in 06 and had to get it stitched up think it was @GEODGC and his mates telling me the stitches would explode mid flight cos of the pressure :))

Didn’t have a fit to fly certificate but was I %^*& staying in Spain.

Just chances it and flew home but I was young and foolish in those days.
It was indeed. You’ve got some memory mate :D

I’m an expert in this field.

Don’t be so quick to call things out as “rubbish”. Compression stockings have been used in the medical profession for decades.
More of an expert than the doctor who has actually seen the injury? Maybe the doctor hadn't heard of compression stockings before.

This game is huge, but don't be risking your health over it OP. And certainly, under no circumstances, take medical advice from people on here.

To be honest I wouldn't be going if I were you.
Even outwith the more than little travel issue, the day or two in that heat in big crowds while getting used to getting about with crutches it will be a nightmare and in the stadium if we score could get very messy for you.

Like R. W. B. I broke my heel bone last May and the first two or three weeks were a fecking nightmare, between my foot hurting, my hands blistering and arms and shoulder aching while I got used to the crutches, feck that

He can get a scooter like Humza and just scoot across the continent :)

So I have a ticket for Wednesday with my son and wife, I played in a charity match on saturday for a freind who lost his life. Anyway I broke my ankle and I'm literally just out of surgery, and been told it's too dangerous to fly, and must keep it mobile and stuff, anyone able to help with a campervan hire or any other ideas, I need to be there I'm totally devastated. Please help a bear out
Get yourself a good lawnmower? You’ll be there in no time .

Road trip motor home on face book. Based galston. Explain situation, maybe wouldn't hire to a group for this occasion but if you explain its family I'm sure he will help if he has availability.

Back