Henry Hall of St Johnstone

I hated that bastard!

Him, Drew Busby and Drew Jarvie were the banes of my life as kid when I was collecting bubblegum cards - when you wanted Colin Stein or Derek Parlane you got HENRY FUCKING HALL :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Then someone on the internet told me he was a Tim. :eek:

Did you forget about Doug rougvie....?

At least you got a strip of pink chewing gum too.

In my experience the gum was always a dull grey and very hard - you could shatter it by bending it.

It wasn't bad tasting but you have to steep it in your saliva in your mouth for a few minutes before it became chewable.

He did play for Forfar. I seem to recall he scored a cracker of a goal against us in a League Cup tie or maybe a Scottish Cup game against Forfar, but it was controversially ruled out. I think it was a close game too

In my experience the gum was always a dull grey and very hard - you could shatter it by bending it.

It wasn't bad tasting but you have to steep it in your saliva in your mouth for a few minutes before it became chewable.
Na pink gum , mind I’m talking 70s football cards.

They had a cracking forward line in these days
Aird, Hall, Pearson, Connolly and Aitken. Remember going to Brockville to watch them which was always a hard place to pick up points and they took 6 off them, they played some great football.

He did play for Forfar. I seem to recall he scored a cracker of a goal against us in a League Cup tie or maybe a Scottish Cup game against Forfar, but it was controversially ruled out. I think it was a close game too
Yep league cup semi final in 78 forfar were winning 2-1 with seven minutes to go when Derek Parlane scored the equalizer

I hated that bastard!

Him, Drew Busby and Drew Jarvie were the banes of my life as kid when I was collecting bubblegum cards - when you wanted Colin Stein or Derek Parlane you got HENRY FUCKING HALL :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Then someone on the internet told me he was a Tim. :eek:

had a good laugh at your intro sir,
we nicknamed him henry loaby.

Kenny Aird, on the other hand, was difficult to get hold of.

For Airdrie, Busby was easy enough. But Paul Jonquin and Sam Goodwin were difficult.

I should have paid more attention at school rather than obsessing over the bubble gum cards.

Henry sas Forfar manager when I started secondary in sure he got them to the semis of the Scottish. He was the PE teacher all through my high school years in Dundee.

Think it was Willie ormand who was manager back then, played good football, Connolly was there star player who was linked to us.

Henry hall , drew Jarvis, hamish mcalpine, every packet 1 of them 3 were a cert.

The gum was pink and most time would crumble...

I was actually at the Hamburg game. Lived just outside Perth and went to Muirton when I couldn't get to Ibrox. St. Johnstone has a good side in those days. I remember the fans used to change ends at half-time as well as the teams.

Henry Hall was a dangerous little player in a really decent St. Johnstone team. Muirton Park was pretty basic, like a lot of grounds in the late 60’s and early 70’s but I always enjoyed our games in Perth.

I remember a game in February or March 1973 when we were really starting a great run in the league and Celtic were stumbling. Henry Hall had equalised and we were struggling for a win when Joe Mason popped up to score a vital winner. Cue wild celebrations on the terracings.

The season before in the game when Willie Johnston scored a hat trick of penalties (although one was a rebound) in a 4-1 win, the St Johnstone keeper John Donaldson completely lost his head and was flattening everything that moved.

Only 47-48 years ago!!

Back