Henry McLeish has his say

williewoodburn

Former first minister Henry McLeish says Scotland have "exhausted" all excuses after hitting "a new low" on the international football scene.

McLeish led a review into Scottish football in 2010 but says things are even worse now after Scotland's latest failure to reach a major tournament.

He insists a major part of the problem is the balance of power between club sides and the national team.

"I think we have reached a new low," McLeish told BBC Scotland.

"In 2010 when we did the review, we thought we had really reached the nadir of our fortunes but look, if we're slipping past 20 years of not qualifying in Europe or globally, if we go to 25 years or 30 years at its most pessimistic, this is deeply damaging to the national psychology of the game and to the inevitability of us ever getting there."
Henry McLeish
Henry McLeish, who played for East Fife, led the review into Scottish Football in 2010

A 2-2 draw in Slovenia on Sunday evening denied Scotland second place in Group F and a possible World Cup qualification play-off spot.

The Scots have now failed to qualify for the last 10 major international tournaments, and McLeish believes the problems lie with the balance of power in the game.

SFA, not Strachan, must decide manager's future
SFA to discuss Strachan's future on Thursday
Is Strachan's genetics claim based on fact

"We've virtually exhausted all the excuses we can have and I don't believe for a minute that talent doesn't exist in Scotland, but I do believe that the current structure of the game is still preventing us getting the best, nurturing them and putting them through," he added.

"When I talk about excuses, people say that young people have distractions, well, they have them in Iceland. Here, we have stripped bare all of the excuses you could possibly put forward, we're simply not good enough and that should be the wake-up call that all those who love the game and want Scotland to be successful.

"I have no doubt there needs to be a rebalancing of power, priorities, and objectives within the game. That really means that the SFA have got to become a much more influential part of the footballing establishment. There needn't be a conflict between club and country, but I fear at the present time there is.
Gordon Strachan
Gordon Strahcan said after the Slovenia match that genetics were a major part of Scotland's problem

"I think the tentacles of the club game are so intertwined now with the ambitions of the country game, and that is not what I would like to see. We need clear demarcations of responsibility and I put it quite boldly to say that the SFA must now become the dominant political institution in Scottish football. The two institutions of the SPFL and the SFA have got to rearrange and reprioritise what their objectives are and the country, in my view, must overcome the power of the club."

McLeish, who pointed to the women's team and the under-21s as "bright embers" for the Scottish game, also felt national boss Gordon Strachan's comments about genetics being part of the problem, were misunderstood.

"Clearly in the aftermath of his bitter disappointment and reflections, I think Gordon used the wrong word," McLeish added.

"I think what he was talking about was physicality, this is the size and stature of our players, but with the greatest respect to Gordon, that's not the start and finish of the difficulties we face. We have to do a great deal more."

From BBC website

It's simple, the Scotland team is there to help and promote them. If there is nothing in it for them the team will be allowed to decline. Don't think we will any more Rangers play picked for a long time.

"...we're simply not good enough and that should be the wake-up call that all those who love the game and want Scotland to be successful

That's the thing. I don't think those at the top want the Scottish game to be successful. At least, their actions over the last decade, if not more, indicate that they just don't care

I think what he really means by 'conflict between club and country' is between Country and (one) club (us).

He should also be calling out the inadequacies of Rhegan and Doncaster and the over-influence of Lieswell.

Typical politician.....the truth is between the lines.

SPFL has too much influence. SPFL = Liewell.

I don't believe for a second that we won't be seeing Rangers players in the team, however the SFA absolutely do need to become the dominant body and they must completely separate themselves from club football. Much as the FA does in England.

I think McLeish has put this out in code that will be understood by many in the game. We’ll see if any act on it and curb Lawell power.

Just the fact that he has tried, in anyway, to defend Strap-ons comments, should mean he is ignored.
Strap-on claimed that our height was a problem,then compared us with the Spanish! Yes, the ex-world cup and European championship holders!!
Size makes no difference, if you cant control the ball, pass to team mates or defend a lead in the biggest match of a campaign!
These qualifications games are for a reason, if your not good enough, you don't go.
Always picking the same players who have failed, or worse, allowing a failed international to choose when he plays, only embarrassed the nation even more.
There is too strong a smell of Timothy in the corridors of power, and as usual, everything they are involved with turns to shiete.

His comment about clubs intertwined with the country! How will that pan out if the SFA move from Hampden to the Piggery?

Anyone who loves football, knew his review was manure.
It was a chance to go to a 16 team league.
"4 Glasgow derbies for tv". Not buying it. Sky weren't in the least bit bothered nor listened to Rangers supporters.
Neither did he address grass roots football properly.

That's the thing. I don't think those at the top want the Scottish game to be successful. At least, their actions over the last decade, if not more, indicate that they just don't care

Self interest to keep the blazers in power. If there was a radical change with the top level it would give the whole game a shot in the arm.

Aye, he's right about one thing, we have reached a new low. When Henry McLeish is involved it is a new low. It's a muddle, not a fiddle.

Why does he sneak around the answer, just say it as everyone knows it and the media are part of it too.

Take what he says with a pinch of salt, wasn't he on the great think tank that he would save Scottish football with his cunning plan.

No mention of pansy pink shirts?inferiority complex right away.this problem starts at the top,jobs for the buoys.

I think you make a great point here. Some people underestimate the importance of feeling that pride in the jersey when they are walking up the tunnel and on to the pitch. Sure, there are times when a clash of colours is going to necessitate that one of the teams changes. But a PINK jersey for the National side? Just ridiculous!

I can almost see the point when it is a club side (Please NOT Rangers!) when trying to take advantage of new revenue streams. However when it comes to the colour of your National shirt, some things should remain sacrosanct and untouchable!!

How about aim number 1 to be at kid level to encourage the basic retention of possession.

And aim number 2 to encourage the basic retention of possession under pressure.

Lets not kid ourselves on, how many of our players are good enough ?

I believe Ryan Jack can be a future starter for Scotland, former Sheep captain and started life well with us. I can seem him developing into one of the best in the country, albeit maybe another season or two, his aggression may need to be reigned in as well. Just my opinion though.

I reckon we've regressed more than any other Country on the planet.

The likes of NI, Wales were once absolute whipping boys in days gone by.
Hell, we even had a better head to head against England until about the 80's(a guess, may be slightly before or after that).

We're now barely better than the Luxembourgs of World football.

The same cabal remain in place in the midst of what is quite probably the most accelerated part of the downfall.

Utterly unbelievable.

Let's start with the Education system, PE is a must, every school must have a football team with proper coaches.
Make available facilities for teams without excessive costs, there are plenty volunteers out there (Disclosure accepted) who give their time free so why not local councils.
The SFA need to be more pro active in demanding help and funding part of it.

Iff it's not done properly in the early years then only a small % will ever make the grade. The next generation is there they just need guidance.

I think what he really means by 'conflict between club and country' is between Country and (one) club (us).

He should also be calling out the inadequacies of Rhegan and Doncaster and the over-influence of Lieswell.

Typical politician.....the truth is between the lines.

We've got idiots heading up the organisations. We've got blazers running 'the committees and in the background weaving his filthy mhanky web is Pete the Sneak...

Scumbags in every corner. Ref's strikes forgiven....Lennon's assault on Ref forgiven..Mythical Tours of Japan accepted, Brown and Armstrong mysteriously injured but that's ok.... Umpteeen fines by UEFA but none by SFA...IRA songs Bannners and Orange Effigies hung in public and not a thing happens.

Scotland deserves what it gets, nothing.

Love Scotland hate SFA can't support their team!!!

I want a FA I can relate too and a team I can be proud of.

40 odd % are to busy trying to kill us rather than improve the sport as a whole, mind boggling

We've got idiots heading up the organisations. We've got blazers running 'the committees and in the background weaving his filthy mhanky web is Pete the Sneak...

Scumbags in every corner. Ref's strikes forgiven....Lennon's assault on Ref forgiven..Mythical Tours of Japan accepted, Brown and Armstrong mysteriously injured but that's ok.... Umpteeen fines by UEFA but none by SFA...IRA songs Bannners and Orange Effigies hung in public and not a thing happens.

Scotland deserves what it gets, nothing.

I know what you are saying but this is Our Scotland we are the members of the union that keep Briton Great let's take charge and stop the minority dictating and defining Scotland

Every time this issue comes up, usually in the aftermath of another failure I just sigh as it's Groundhog Day yet again . I sense McLeish holds similar views and concerns that we do about what's wrong in Scotland from this piece or perhaps not but to be quite honest it's not really worth giving too much thought to this issue anymore regarding IMPROVING Scotland's chances it's pretty pointless, the only thing we need concern ourselves about is trying to make things better for us and try to overcome the many obstacles and challenges in our way.

There are far too many obstacles in the way of making any meaningful progress in Scottish football, we as a club don't really have much influence in being able to offer solutions to try and fix things and as we are finding there's people actively scheming to keep it that way but even getting our people sitting back on key committees the problem is so multi faceted and with too many of the wrong people involved in Scottish football it's an impossibility.

The only way I can foresee real change happening is with the complete collapse of the professional game which could precipitate a clearing of the decks and new people emerging who have nothing but the game's best interests at heart, then we could perhaps feel more optimistic about things but the game is just going further down the pan with every season that passes in it's current state.

Last edited:
We should follow the Iceland model.
Correct. It's very obvious to anyone who has half a brain that we need to copy whats already been proven to be successful elsewhere.

Remember Dick Advocaat offered to overseee the roll out of Dutch style youth academies all over the country during his reign at Ibrox at the turn of the century but the fùckwits at the SFA knew better!

"Ah but its genetics ye ken? Scandinavians are all tall and we're all wee angry midgets!" :rolleyes:

Admit it Henry, everyone up here involved in the game, the spl, the sfa, the media, supporters groups have spent the last six years obsessing on how to destroy the worlds most successful club. Nothing else mattered, no wonder our game is in such a state. Power handed to liewell and all he cares about is his club, no one else.

We,ve hit a new low blah blah blah I,ve heard this a million times and I don't care. When the SFA decided to fine Graeme Souness every time he combed his hair, as far as supporting my country that was the beginning of the end for me. Fast forward 30 years and we now have Scottish football being run for the benefit of one club . So if it,s possible I have even less interest in Scotland results .

Never mind the bold Henry's concerns. All we have to do is breed genetic mutants and let the SFA Performance Director sort out the rest.............Malky McKay, it's time to show us what genetic mutants can do.....

I believe Ryan Jack can be a future starter for Scotland, former Sheep captain and started life well with us. I can seem him developing into one of the best in the country, albeit maybe another season or two, his aggression may need to be reigned in as well. Just my opinion though.
I would say he is no worse than brown but younger so should be given his jersey , the only problem with that is RJ does get punished for his fouls whereas scottish football's darling gets away with murder including on the international scene and the media also pander to the fuckwit!
I wouldn't want him to reign in his aggression just control it and channel it differently as I think he is calmness personified whilst under pressure.

The SFA are not fit for purpose. It has been clear for so long & the rapid decline in the National side is the natural course of action for that.

I grew up in an era when the Scottish Manager was seen as a hero from Bobby Brown, Tommy Docherty, Willie Ormond, and even Ally McLeod. All led Scotland from the front with out interference from the SFA (apart from Ally McLeod). The job was down graded to coach from Andy Roxburugh's reign and it has been down hill since (fluke in the 1998 world cup)

The Scotland managers day today is turn up and play without the pride in playing for the jersey and the national team. Players would have fought to get into the Scotland jersey. The Scotland managers has gone from hero to zero.

I'm glad Rangers are not part of this era and hope Strachan & that twat Mcghee are shown the door today. As for a long term solution there is not one right now due to the people that run Scottish football.

We seem to be great at launching these inquiries that promise to identify and solve all our problems with radical change. Where we fall down is on the follow through. I've never once seen an article that details which of McLeish's recommendations were implemented and what impact, if any, they have had. As far as I know, it's gathering dust at the bottom of an office desk somewhere.

It might be beneficial if journalists held the authorities accountable on this sort of thing rather than serving up the usual puerile fare they seem to be fixated on.

National Coach - Gordon Strachan - Ex Celtic.
Asst - Mark McGhee - Ex Celtic
Youth supremo - Malky Mackay - Ex Celtic and racist.

And I saw yesterday...............

U-16 coach - James Grady.........Not ex-Celtic, but lifelong fan

Also, u-17 coach - Brian McLaughlin - ex Celtic.

Spot the connections?

How about aim number 1 to be at kid level to encourage the basic retention of possession.

And aim number 2 to encourage the basic retention of possession under pressure.

Never mind all that, wee chesney says we need to pick all the biggest boys who can kick the ball furthest and jump really high. Because that's worked so well for us over the last 40 years.

National Coach - Gordon Strachan - Ex Celtic.
Asst - Mark McGhee - Ex Celtic
Youth supremo - Malky Mackay - Ex Celtic and racist.

And I saw yesterday...............

U-16 coach - James Grady.........Not ex-Celtic, but lifelong fan

Also, u-17 coach - Brian McLaughlin - ex Celtic.

Spot the connections?
And they will all be rewarded with new contracts,because nobody wants to upset the apple cart
and get off the gravy train,the whole lot needs ripped apart and started from scratch but the tartan trannies lap it up because it gives them the chance to bare their arses around Europe for a few weeks

And they will all be rewarded with new contracts,because nobody wants to upset the apple cart
and get off the gravy train,the whole lot needs ripped apart and started from scratch but the tartan trannies lap it up because it gives them the chance to bare their arses around Europe for a few weeks

I think you may even go back to Walter having Burns as number 2/3 and Eck having Roy Aitken to appease the mhockits............

Maybe in 2017 we need another review of Scottish Football. Anyone know any former MP's who could help out?

Back