Hibs defending last night

Unsurprisingly they play football like a terrible version of a Roberto Martinez team,

Given that,

A: I don't really rate Martinez as a coach
B: they don't have players the talent of Belgium to pull it off and work around that,

they are going to find bother often IMO.

Playing out from the back against teams who will often not even press them, or as Celtic were able to do press them into making mistakes very easily, was genuinely weird to watch at times.

They were a complete mess last night

This happens a lot to teams who try to play out the back and lose possession in their own final third.

It’s nothing to do with organisation it’s everything to do with the ability to play out the back. Hibs just don’t have the quality to do it yet Maloney persisted with it throughout the game. It was poor management. Macey in particular was horrific with the ball at feet and took an eternity to move it every time.

Hibs should have played a direct game, pinging the ball towards the scum’s midget full backs and using the pace of Boyle to get in behind.

It’s all well and good trying to play out the back, it’s the way the game ought to be played nowadays. But Maloney needs to sign players comfortable with that sort of game before trying it.

They are a poor side defensively. They have lost some really poor goals to us and gave up some great chances. Look at the one we scored in the semi final, that Porteous error gets glossed over because of the result. But it was shocking defending.

You mean there wasn't everyone behind the balls and running about like men possessed?
Hibs haven’t played with everyone behind the ball against us in any of the three games we’ve played this season. At Ibrox they were on the front foot early on until Porteous got sent off. At Hampden they played a great counter attacking game and just defended well. And at Easter Road it was a tight game and they certainly did not defend deep.

Unsurprisingly they play football like a terrible version of a Roberto Martinez team,

Given that,

A: I don't really rate Martinez as a coach
B: they don't have players the talent of Belgium to pull it off and work around that,

they are going to find bother often IMO.

Playing out from the back against teams who will often not even press them, or as Celtic were able to do press them into making mistakes very easily, was genuinely weird to watch at times.

They were a complete mess last night
Baloney will try and play expansive football with them....

Problem is its Joe Newall he has playing for him and not De Bruyne and Tielemans

Saw the first goal on Twitter and couldn't believe the defending. The new Japanese superstar actually got lucky as he scuffed it - keeper should do better for me.

This happens a lot to teams who try to play out the back and lose possession in their own final third.

It’s nothing to do with organisation it’s everything to do with the ability to play out the back. Hibs just don’t have the quality to do it yet Maloney persisted with it throughout the game. It was poor management.
Hilarious examples of this every week across Europe, one in the EPL recently. Alfie’s goal v Sparta.

If you aren’t Bayern, City etc, don’t play out from the back as your only option 99.9% of the time

Baloney will try and play expansive football with them....

Problem is its Joe Newall he has playing for him and not De Bruyne and Tielemans

It did all just look like a picture I have seen 100 times before last night TBH, Warburton, Mowbary, Coyle etc that type, the kind of managers who have this great vision and idea of football how it should be played and what it should look like rather than managing the players they have and taking into account how the game is actually playing out.

There work from the back, even if trying to bed in ideas was just sh*t, playing themselves into bother time and time again.

Hilarious examples of this every week across Europe, one in the EPL recently. Alfie’s goal v Sparta.

If you aren’t Bayern, City etc, don’t play out from the back as your only option 99.9% of the time
Were you saying this when SG was playing out from the back? We scored a few from playing out from the back and we weren’t City B-)

Exactly. And even we shouldn’t play out the back every time.

The goal Brentford conceded to Liverpool at the weekend was one of the worst examples I’ve seen in recent weeks. If an SPFL team conceded like that to the scum we’d get page after page on here full of posters accusing them of lying down.

It was just poor quality from Hibs. Hopefully Maloney tries to play like that against us too and we have Scotty, Kent and Sakala pressing high. We’ll win the ball up the park in dangerous areas as well.

He isn’t marked because Hibs were not defending at the time. The photo is completely out of context.
There is no system that should allow a CF that much space in the box.

It's horrific organisation.

I get that the 2 CB's are wide as they are playing it out but where is the midfield?

Usually the holding mid would drop back to stop situations like this.

Were you saying this when SG was playing out from the back? We scored a few from playing out from the back and we weren’t City B-)
He said “don’t play out the back 99.9% of the time” and I agree. You’re right we have scored unreal goals playing out the back. But a good example where it wasn’t working at all was last season’s New Year derby yet the players kept persisting at it all first half. In those instances where it isn’t working it would be smarter to put a man on one of the scum’s smaller full backs and playing direct.

He never done anything else in the game, I think he has less than 10 touches total.
I said this too in the deleted thread from last night. He wasn’t impressive at all and was lucky to score. He doesn’t press anything like the diving cheat does and his movement and ability to beat the offside trap is nowhere near as good. I’d be delighted if the diving cheat is out for Feb 2nd and Maeda plays up front.

He said “don’t play out the back 99.9% of the time” and I agree. You’re right we have scored unreal goals playing out the back. But a good example where it wasn’t working at all was last season’s New Year derby yet the players kept persisting at it all first half. In those instances where it isn’t working it would be smarter to put a man on one of the scum’s smaller full backs and playing direct.
It’s the price you pay for a high risk high reward tactic isn’t it? I don’t think chucking it the minute it goes wrong would be a good look for Maloney (at least not until they play us, please)

It’s the price you pay for a high risk high reward tactic isn’t it? I don’t think chucking it the minute it goes wrong would be a good look for Maloney (at least not until they play us, please)
Yeah that’s a fair comment but with so many players out he should have abandoned his preferred style when it wasn’t working. Think both scum full backs are 5’6”. If we are struggling against the scum on Feb 2nd it would be a decent shout to stick Roofe (who is great in the air) or Itten on one of the full backs and playing off them.

We had a thread a while back actually about this and why teams like Arsenal don’t just go direct in the final minutes of a game when they need a goal and I was one of the posters who was sticking up for teams who try to play out the back, pointing out that our usual front three of Kent, Morelos and Hagi/Sakala wouldn’t be good options to hoof it up to when we need a goal. But in Hibs’ case yesterday it clearly wasn’t working and they should have changed it. They persisted with it and the scum nearly scored three or four times after winning the ball high up the park.

Hib
It looks shambolic but the picture doesn't really tell the full story as Celtic won the ball back high up the park.

Not sure what Hanlon is trying to do there.
Hibs gave away possession softly before the pass into the Celtic striker.

Btw Celtic got a penalty after the ball was played against the defender at close range and hit his hand. I didn't think that was a penalty nowadays. Ref buckled.

Hib

Hibs gave away possession softly before the pass into the Celtic striker.

Btw Celtic got a penalty after the ball was played against the defender at close range and hit his hand. I didn't think that was a penalty nowadays. Ref buckled.
It’s not a penalty when hit another part of your body.

On the defending if they lost the ball they should be looking to get back in position and pressure the ball - they didn’t. Looked like they were playing a friendly and getting used to a new system (which they were).

I notice hibs got more position so has Ange change philosophy that it’s no longer most passes in a game/possession!??

I don’t have an issue with Maloney’s style/philosophy but trying to implement such a style straight away at one of the most difficult games of the season is suicidal.

It happens all the time when there at home. They seem to score goals with very few opposition defenders in there own box. Yet when we play the same teams most times all 11 players are back fighting for the life's.
We are slower going forward and hence give teams time to get men behind the ball that's the simple reason for it.

Back