Hibs Manager Furious Referee Phoned Gerrard

buster60

Hibs manager Paul Heckingbottom has branded Steven McLean as "foolish" for calling Steven Gerrard to apologise for missing the foul in the build-up to the Hibs equaliser last weekend. He then claims that McLean created a "crazy" precedent by calling Gerrard to discuss the incident.
Heckingbottom has obviously not been here long enough to know that Brendan Rodgers used to get frequent calls from referees and also from Referee Chief John Fleming to say sorry when the referees made decisions that affected Celtic.
This is all reported in today's Daily Mail who make no mention of the referee chief phoning the Celtic boss on exactly the same issues. The newspaper has chosen not to mention that the precedent had already been established. One wonders why. Surely not an attempt to make Rangers look as the villains in this story?

Of course, we all know that.

But he stated the precedent has been set when in fact had been set months ago. If he didn`t know that, the newspaper should at least have.

They should have, it’s not a new thing however, referees have been calling managers for years, not just the Mhanks manager either, however it’s usuallh for a missed penalty incidents or offside goals.

Furious ? His side got away with murder in that game and the ref was abysmal. You’d think he’d have the good grace to understand that. Still he’ll be sacked soon enough so won’t be here long anyway.

They should have, it’s not a new thing however, referees have been calling managers for years, not just the Mhanks manager either, however it’s usuallh for a missed penalty incidents or offside goals.
I agree bud but I was pointing out that piece alluded to Rangers getting phone calls as if it were exclusive to us.
The paper should have told him he was wrong and did he want to change his quote.

He is not a fool though, just a tiny move towards us by a ref and he is in the press "furious".

Keeps up the pressure on the refs, a stronger response to a phone call than our response to a night of atrocious refereeing.

This wee scrote has cottened on quick that you can win friends by having a go at Rangers eh .... no mark prick !!!

Anhhh... Another fud at a shite club jumps on the Rangers Hating bandwagon.
Just another enemy for us to point our anger at.

Ah hyperbole! At no point did he say or mention the word furious, he should have checked or the paper should have told him that there was precedent for it happening if he/ they had there would have been no article though and that’s not how the shitty press work in Scotland.

I completely agree with him. It seems to suggest it's ok to be rotten as long as you phone and say sorry. When did that become acceptable?!

I completely agree with him. It seems to suggest it's ok to be rotten as long as you phone and say sorry. When did that become acceptable?!

The complete lack of accountability the referees in this country are subject to is the cause of this.

Decent wee earner for them for 90 minutes of being shite at a part time job without any consequences.

He's probably been asked his opinion in the press conference. The hacks have blown it out of proportion - I don't remember anyone "furiously blasting" Brendan at the time

He states "that's another thing that will be thrown at them" Is that us or the refs?

Last edited:
To be honest he’s right, it’s ridiculous that a ref phones a manager to apologise for not giving a foul.
You are absolutely correct, it should never happen, but it’s the fact that it had been done on several occasions before.....all for the shettlestons.
These things could be avoided if the refs were allowed to release a statement the following day on very contentious issues. Just my opinion of course.

The shock here is that a referee clearly forgot to hit the auto dial to Paedo Central

You could be right, along with with the idea he thought he had got thru' to the bheast's lair to apologise for not giving Hivs a penalty, sending off wee Alfie and allowing us to score.

He was flummoxed when he heard Stevie G's Scouse tones and had to mumble an apology to save face.

WATP

So, phoning The Filth is perfectly acceptable, indeed it is demanded, as is doing everything to keep their delinquent players on the park.
But dare phone a Rangers manager and all bets are off.
We are being fckd over in Scotland and it isn't even something hidden or shameful.
We are being fckd over and they are all proud to be seen to be doing it.

I wasnt sure the ref had said sorry, still no sure about it, but see if he even said look stevie i did miss it should have seen it or given it..... i think it was quite sleekit because he would know most people are gonna say ffs a free kick every team in the world can moan about not getting a foul during a match. Provan will probably have written his piece for Sunday about it.

The same guy said McGregor was unlucky to get booked for his elbow on Morelos.

Throbber.

Another “Rangers bad” story whilst completely ignoring the same occasions that this has happened in the jakey side of the city.

Just more of the open anti-Rangers propaganda.

I agree bud but I was pointing out that piece alluded to Rangers getting phone calls as if it were exclusive to us.
The paper should have told him he was wrong and did he want to change his quote.

The paper didn't enlighten him as it suited their agenda as it stood!

W.A.T.P.

If a referee phones yo apologise for making an arse of himself he should be sacked. This is not the first time Mclean has made a"mistake" against Rangers so why has it taken so long to apologise?Did he apologise for all his mistakes or only the one. As far as I'm concerned he can stick his apologies.It would be better for everyone if these clowns stopped making "mistakes" and tried to get things right.

Is the point not that Gerrard spoke to the ref at the end of the game and told him it was a foul to which the ref replied that if he'd got it wrong he would apologise. Although unusual it wasn't just a random call.

Guy looks like an Orc that's fallen into a pool of "Just For Men". Fk him. The sort of rhat faced features you see staggering about the Gallowgate in the middle of the week, pish stained troosers and vomit encrusted green and grey tap to top off his ensemble. Fk him!

Hibs manager Paul Heckingbottom has branded Steven McLean as "foolish" for calling Steven Gerrard to apologise for missing the foul in the build-up to the Hibs equaliser last weekend. He then claims that McLean created a "crazy" precedent by calling Gerrard to discuss the incident.
Heckingbottom has obviously not been here long enough to know that Brendan Rodgers used to get frequent calls from referees and also from Referee Chief John Fleming to say sorry when the referees made decisions that affected Celtic.
This is all reported in today's Daily Mail who make no mention of the referee chief phoning the Celtic boss on exactly the same issues. The newspaper has chosen not to mention that the precedent had already been established. One wonders why. Surely not an attempt to make Rangers look as the villains in this story?

I’m furious his team wasn’t reduced to 8 men, we didn’t get two pens and his team’s goal wasn’t ruled out for either the initial free kick or subsequent offside. Whose grievance is more legitimate?

The guy should keep it shut and just be satisfied the ref cheated a point for him.

I know, but if the ref was to call every manager to say sorry for a foul that wasn’t given, crucial or not, they would be making dozens of phone calls, it’s ludicrous.

Fair point but i think thats why he called SG he knows the press would agree with your comment.. hes not worried about the 100 other corrupt calls hes made against Rangers or any of our players being injured because of this sinister style of refereeing that so many are using to target the club.

To be honest he’s right, it’s ridiculous that a ref phones a manager to apologise for not giving a foul.
Au contraire, did you comment on Rodgers receiving multiple apologies from officials? It's incredible how many come out to whine in support of those that want us crippled.

Back