Hibs owner calls for end to booze ban

It could happen if there was more call from clubs for it. Why not have a trial? Why don't we put ourselves forward for a trial before another club beats us to it. It isn't 1980 anymore, it is actually very civilised at football these days.

never once had any issue with fans getting up an down, or anything while attending the warriors. It works so well, sometimes they have this machine that pours 4 perfect pints at once, so queues minimal.

All bars should use this. Detest getting a shitty poured pint.

Yeah, what that bunch need is to be allowed to drink before the game. How many incidents of fan trouble have they had in the last 12 months alone??

Don't see why it can't be trialled. If it works the slowly implement it, if not then nothing lost.
Can easily just restrict the sale of it for higher risk games

Fans will drink before the games but allowing them more drink inside is basically pouring petrol onto the fire with a large element.

Clubs can't organise selling decent soft/hot drinks and pies, there is no way they could organise booze as well.

Split on this.

Hate what I call speedbump society where everyone ends up paying/sufferring for the idiotic actions of the few. Adults should be allowed to make their own decisions and then take the consequences if they break the law.

However, let's face it, every club has it's share of aholes. And the bigger the fanbase the more fandans. We are certainly no exception. And with the way things are moving towards strict liability, I don't know why any clubs would sanction the sale of alcohol in their grounds which could be directly linked to bad behaviour, which they would then be liable for. And we more than anyone else would be held liable. It's a certainty. And for what? To make a few extra quid on mathdays? When there's pubs all round stadiums providing that service to fans anyway? Truth is, we have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol in this country and the government is unlikely to go along with this anyway. And I think I agree. I don't see any need for it. if anyone can't just sit and enjoy the game for a couple of hours without a pint, then it's a bad sign.

Well they want people to stop driving to Ibrox. Bring back the pints and it will encourage people to leave their car at home :)).

Could be done cost effectively with fridges and decanting into paper cups. While not my favourite drink, Tennents are already a supplier for the club.

Sadly, we will continue to be treated like petulant children and the choice will not be in our hands. Police Scotland will most certainly object.

Anyway, still waiting for contactless payment to be accepted at Ibrox, never mind an actual change to the offerings.

Says he as he watched a drunk thug hibs fan attack James Tavenier and a booze bottle thrown at Bora Barasic. Not to mention his thousands of scum fans cause mayhem in the cup final. Unbelievable the idiots in power in scotshit football.

I like a beer as much as most. And ilove to have a beer at the game. BUT. I’m 100% against it in Scottish football.

Every support in the country has a sizeable percentage of their support who act like fannies and act like worse fannies when pissed up.

It would be a recipe for disaster imo

If idiots can't behave themselves sober then they definitely won't when drunk. Absolute non starter
When was the last time there was any hint of bother at Ibrox in games for instance outwith Rats, Sheep and Hivs? No reason why your average bear shouldn’t be able to enjoy a pint at all other games at the very least.

I think they should trial it at Hampden for international matches and maybe semi finals. Probably not Old Firm games just yet but at least that should be a relatively safe environment to show it can work.

Then start rolling it out to other stadiums if it is a success. In England you can't get a drink while the game is on or take it back to your seat and it seems to be fine there. Pre match, half time and it would be good if there were areas to have a drink post match as well.

If it’s just beer in plastic pint tumblers I don’t see the problem tbh. There’s only so much of them you can consume in 90 minutes. The ban doesn’t stop someone tanning a bottle of Buckfast before the game.

I watched a documentary on the new Spurs Stadium and it has it's own brewery built in. On a match day they sell 23,000 pints of their own beer and pocket all the profits. Their beer is also for sale as a carry out at shops outside of the stadium. That's a fair bit of income that we can't get access to.

Part of the problem with drink is people tanning them in the pubs before hand as they know they won't get another until after the match. Personally I thinki If you provide drinks in the concourses then people would drink a bit more responsibly in the pubs knowing they can get one at the game.

Can people really not go two hours without a beer?

Maybe it's just the fact that I've never felt need to have a drink at every social occasion (Gigs, theatre, airports etc).

Pints in the concourse would be a revenue spinner.

The Scottish game is in dire straits financially and the powers that be are starving it of further cash.

We’re behind the times with everything in this country. A pint of beer isn’t going to make someone a less of a crackpot at a match. If they want to get steaming, they’ll get steaming in the pub before it. Never understood the alcohol ban at all.

Absolute money spinner, I've heard people complain it'll take them out of their seat and they'll stand in the concourse drinking...........big deal, they're generating cash and they've paid their ticket. Win/win.

The booze ban is stupid and is enforced on the current generation. It makes no sense. If they want to keep it then use it for Rangers v them (& vice versa). What's the point in any other game?

Sensible approach to start would be have it at what might be deemed low risk games, like Rangers v Livingston. Club makes cash, fans can buy a few pints and there's little to suggest fans will become more volatile as a result.

Sounds too much like common sense, so the SFA/Cops/ScotGov will look to block any genuine attempts to allow the sale of alcohol at games.

Even putting aside the consequences of fan behaviour for a moment can you imagine some of the vegetables who work in the Ibrox concourses doing this?

Some of them struggle to give you the right pie never mind pour a pint (Spurs auto pour system probably not available)

It depends on how it was enforced.
Last EPL game I was at was at the Ethiad and you could buy a beer there at the food kiosk, but you weren't allowed to take alcohol out to the seats, so you had to drink it in the foyer bit.
It was refreshing to be able to get a beer at the stadium, but it was only enough time to get one really before KO.

Even putting aside the consequences of fan behaviour for a moment can you imagine some of the vegetables who work in the Ibrox concourses doing this?

Some of them struggle to give you the right pie never mind pour a pint (Spurs auto pour system probably not available)
How fucking cool is that seen it on Richard Hammonds big. What a stadium that is.

It's a silly ban. The damage that can be done by alcohol in a 2 hour window is nothing. People aren't going to get pished in that time. They'll might come pished but banning alcohol for everyone during the game just doesn't make sense.

It would make the clubs money.

The Scottish game is in dire straits financially and the powers that be are starving it of further cash.

We’re behind the times with everything in this country. A pint of beer isn’t going to make someone a less of a crackpot at a match. If they want to get steaming, they’ll get steaming in the pub before it. Never understood the alcohol ban at all.
If anything it probably makes you drink even more than you normally would because you know you're going to have 2 hours of freezing cold shite Scottish football to watch without a drink

Every sporting event in North America have alcohol available throughout the
the game.Never a hint of trouble.Just saying.;)

Can people really not go two hours without a beer?

Maybe it's just the fact that I've never felt need to have a drink at every social occasion (Gigs, theatre, airports etc).

Like all things it’s the ability to make a choice but don’t let that get in the road of you blowing smoke up your own arse about your superiority. For most, it’s a privilege and a matter of being able to make the choice alongside being treated like an adult. Definitely one of the better things about football abroad is the ability to have a pint.

I'm in two minds about this. Genuinely think its ridiculous that football is the only event that is totally banned from drinking.

However, there's literally nothing worse than getting stuck next to a slabbering idiot for 90 mins at the football The state of some fans at the Braga game was unreal. You've got to hope that people will avoid being this drunk if they have the opportunity for a beer inside.

I remember reading somewhere that Dortmund sell 50,000 pints at their stadium per match....that’s £2million per game at £4 per pint x 20 league matches = £40 million

Why keep going on about missiles. Dont know if its changed, but when I've been at games down south, you cant take the booze back to your seat.

If someone going to throw a bottle it makes no difference to selling drink in the ground. They've smuggled it in and would just keep doing it.

The second half would be starting in front of empty stands.

Back