Hibs team selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are genuinely selecting an inexperienced centre back who can’t get in the team in his best position, ahead of our most experienced midfielder and the best reader of the game we have? Not only that but when you are so obsessed with pressing I’d have thought you’d want the guy that repeatedly wins the ball back and moves it on quickly in the team.
Our manager would be slaughtered for picking your side and rightly so.

He managed pretty well last time we played them, and let's not mention that he scored against them.

Hivs the hammer throwers. Take a moment and think about our tactics in that match.
We pressed them hard and we created close on 30 shots at goal and 20 corners, yet only scored twice. Something minimal was missing for us to annihilate them, I wonder what it was.
Anyway, you have your opinion and I have mine.

Because our full backs operate as wingers.

Remember the dark days when Mark Warberton instructed both wingers backs to bomb on and then only played 1 sitting midfielder and 2 attacking midfielders as our 3 ? We have better players now but that tactic is gung ho going on suicidal against any competent team (which Hibs are just about)

McGregor
Tav Goldson Balogun Barisic
Davis Kamara
Roofe Hagi Kent
Morelos

Balogun over Helander solely for his pace, which we'll need as they'll try to use Boyle to counter us.

Helander will start

Hagi may have to play given our injury issues but I don’t doubt his talent and fighting spirit

Roofe may struggle too or he could aggravate the knock and be out for a few weeks

I’d go for this formation

McLaughlin

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Kamara Davis

Arfield Hagi Kent

Alfie

This for me is ideal, Roofe on the bench but would prefer him to be rested completely if possible.

Edmundson has shown us he can muscle most players out of a 50/50, he is fast, point being he can then challange/cover long balls. As you so narrowly mention being fast was not the basis of being a DM. His passing is tidy, Maybe you just haven't noticed his qualities.

I am well aware any team needs balance and shape as for video games, I've never played them unlike yourself by the sound of it.

Biesla is a fan of 4-1-3-2 and he has utilised it well a few times.

When we face teams are sitting in, it offers more weight to batter a hole through them. It's that simple.

I'm not Steven Davis' biggest fan, but to suggest playing Edmundson ahead of him in the middle of the park is mental. We punted Ross McCrorie to Aberdeen because he couldn't get near the team(rightly or wrongly) and he is infinitely more suited to the role you describe than George Edmundson is.

Anyway, my team would be:

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Borna
Davis Kamara
Roofe Arfield Kent
Morelos

Toss up between Arfield/Hagi and probably harsh on McLaughln, though I do think he has been lucky not to be punished a couple of times coming for crosses(Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock) so don't totally buy into the "he's done nothing wrong" argument.

Good to have a number of strong options on the bench as well, especially considering those we are missing through injury.

I'm not Steven Davis' biggest fan, but to suggest playing Edmundson ahead of him in the middle of the park is mental. We punted Ross McCrorie to Aberdeen because he couldn't get near the team(rightly or wrongly) and he is infinitely more suited to the role you describe than George Edmundson is.

Anyway, my team would be:

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Borna
Davis Kamara
Roofe Arfield Kent
Morelos

Toss up between Arfield/Hagi and probably harsh on McLaughln, though I do think he has been lucky not to be punished a couple of times coming for crosses(Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock) so don't totally buy into the "he's done nothing wrong" argument.

Good to have a number of strong options on the bench as well, especially considering those we are missing through injury.

Stopped reading at not Davis biggest fan

It was a bit of a throwaway comment. I do rate him but not to the same extent that a huge chunk of the fan base do.

Fair enough. He deserves those plaudits for me, when he plays well we play well. Granted at his age he can’t play 50-60 games a season anymore and we have to manage him correctly but he’s still arguably our best midfielder in my mind. It’s also no coincidence whoever's next to him seems to also play well when he’s on it. Top class and we are lucky to have him.

Maybe but my opinion is shagger is number 1 and until he’s had a bad run of form he should remain number 1. Not that his replacement has let us down it’s just how it is mate
You keep saying it's just how it is as if it's a predetermined decision.

It isn't.

McGregor
Tav Goldson Balogun Barisic
Davis Kamara
Roofe Hagi Kent
Morelos

Balogun over Helander solely for his pace, which we'll need as they'll try to use Boyle to counter us.

everytime balogun has been fit he starts maybe Gerrard considers him first choice

for me he is a better player. More pace better in the air better with the ball at his feet helander might read the game better

it’s good options to have

everytime balogun has been fit he starts maybe Gerrard considers him first choice

for me he is a better player. More pace better in the air better with the ball at his feet helander might read the game better

How many games has Balogun played?

That and he’s our no 1. Not injured he’s playing that’s how it works. The goalkeeping position is totally different to the rest as you can’t chop and change. Shagger is the goalie when fit simple as that

Think its Mclaughlin's jersey to lose imagine the flack our manager gets if he brings back Mcgregor today , Morelos up top with Roofe Hagi and Kent in behind

McLaughlin
Tavernier Goldson Helander Borna
Davis
Hagi Kamara Kent
Roofe Morelos

Why do we need two DM, use one and press high and hard.​

because our fullbacks push on and play as extra attackers , Gerrard uses the defensive sitting midfielders on either side to cover for this when we attack , so shift Kamara into the defensive/sitting left and put Roofe central in the 3 and thats how we've played as a rule this season

Assuming all the players are fit who played today

I go with this line up

McLaughlin

tav
Goldson
Balagon
Barasic

davis
Kamara
Arfield

Kent
Morelos
Roofe

thibk the game would pass hagi by big game no passengers no youngsters no projects

get out there and win
Hibs Team Selection? That's the Rangers Team. Time to change the title OP to Team to face hibs

McLaughlin

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Kamara
Davis

Roofe (if not fit Arfield)
Hagi
Kent

Morelos

subs:
McGregor, Patterson, Balogun/Edmundson, Arfield/Stewart, Itten, Defoe, Bassey

It's that simple.

Assuming all the players are fit who played today

I go with this line up

McLaughlin

tav
Goldson
Balagon
Barasic

davis
Kamara
Arfield

Kent
Morelos
Roofe

thibk the game would pass hagi by big game no passengers no youngsters no projects

get out there and win

Don't think there's any chance of changing our formation mate.

With 2 assists and multiple efforts on goal against Dundee United, I think Hagi is a cert to start.

It is a very ordinary Hibs team that will be minus Jamie Murphy.

Speaking to a Hibs supporter earlier in the week and they were not impressed with they way they've been playing.

Not sure what they are expecting tbh, they have taken 16 points from 7 matches.

I watched them away to St. Johnstone and they should have been beaten. Didn't look too good that day although still got the win.

I watched that game too and I agree they were poor, plus St Johnstone had a perfectly good goal disallowed.

I've also seen them at home to Motherwell and Aberdeen and they never scored in either game.

McLaughlin
Tavernier Goldson Helander Borna
Davis
Hagi Kamara Kent
Roofe Morelos

Why do we need two DM, use one and press high and hard.​

You honestly still haven't grasped how our system works, have you?

He's faster. That's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back