Hibs team selection

Jack, Arfield and Matondo in for Davis, Tillman and Kent for me.

Hivs away is a game played at a hundred miles an hour and will require some guts, guile and experience. Matondos speed could really hurt them on the counter though.

We are always concerned about the opposition rather than focusing on our own game, strengths and letting the opposition worry about us.

McLaughlin

Tavernier
Goldson
Davies
Barisic

Lundstram
Jack
Kamara

Sakala
Colak
Matondo

Morelos is going to need proper game time at some stage. I'd be tempted to start him and see how he gets on ahead of Wednesday night. Obviously, none of us know what % match fit he really is, so its all ifs and buts.

Hibs were pumped by Livingston last weekend, they are not a good team and are bedding in a lot of new signings. We don't need to go and play 100mph against them. Get our foot on the ball in the first 10 minutes and the crowd will quieten and it should be a routine game.

I'd like to see Davies get another 90 under his belt along with Matondo.

I’d go:

McLaughlin

Tav
Goldson
Davies
Barisic

Lundstram
Jack

Wright
Lawrence
Matondo

Colak

Morelos is going to need proper game time at some stage. I'd be tempted to start him and see how he gets on ahead of Wednesday night. Obviously, none of us know what % match fit he really is, so its all ifs and buts.

Hibs were pumped by Livingston last weekend, they are not a good team and are bedding in a lot of new signings. We don't need to go and play 100mph against them. Get our foot on the ball in the first 10 minutes and the crowd will quieten and it should be a routine game.

The Hibs team that played Livingston will not resemble the desire and effort tomorrow.

We are always concerned about the opposition rather than focusing on our own game, strengths and letting the opposition worry about us.
I think if you're doing your job you're taking both into consideration.

I've seen young or inexperienced players in relation to Scottish football get caught up in the pace and brutality of the game too many times.

Rest players against Ross County next week, not at Easter Road.
I'd personally bring back Davies if fit, and put experience and dig into midfield with Jack and Arfield.
If Morelos is 99% fit, I'd play him too, but don't think he is.

McLaughlin
Tavernier
Goldson
Davies
Barisic

Lundstram
Jack

Arfield
Tillman
Kent

Colak

I agree, but perhaps bring him on if we are leading

Rest players against Ross County next week, not at Easter Road.
I'd personally bring back Davies if fit, and put experience and dig into midfield with Jack and Arfield.
If Morelos is 99% fit, I'd play him too, but don't think he is.

McLaughlin
Tavernier
Goldson
Davies
Barisic

Lundstram
Jack

Arfield
Tillman
Kent

Colak
Kent's been in and out the side, I'd rest him for Wednesday. Will be a big player.

Kent's been in and out the side, I'd rest him for Wednesday. Will be a big player.
He's lasted 90 minutes in both European home games, don't think he needs rested unless down to fear of injury. He is by a mile our best left winger and this is one of our toughest away games. I'd personally play him, he can get rested next weekend if need be.

I expect we'll go the same as last Saturday, but with Arfield coming in probably for Wright.
If Davies isn't fit then it'll be Sands in there.

Full strength for the spoon burners, who will be giving everything to take points of us.

Mclaughlin

Tav
Goldson
Sands
Borna

Lundstram
Jack

Matondo
Tillman
Lawrence

Colak

Rest Kent for Tuesday, Alfie to get 30 mins from the bench and break porteus in two.

Colak should play as he’s scoring. Why drop a goal scorer.

They’ll play Boyle right up against our defence and hope to get in behind. They’ll no doubt find an extra level tomorrow and take it to us
It's not as straight forward as that.

You've still got to have Wednesday in mind for this team selection.

In my opinion, to have the best chance of getting the result we need in Holland, Alfredo needs to start over there and give us at least a good 65/70 minutes. His style is far more suited to the big away games in Europe than that of Colak, who for me is more of a penalty box striker.

That's why Morelos should, in my opinion, start tomorrow and get a good hour under his belt in preparation for Wednesday.

I don’t see Kent starting. He looks like he’s still injured to me.

McLaughlin
Tav Goldson Sands Barisic
Jack Lundstram
Wright Lawrence Matondo
Colak
If I see Wright starting tomorrow there will be some strong language in this house.

It is fairly much guaranteed that Porteous/Portly-arse will be out to injury one of forwards, Colak or Kent with our CL play off on Tuesday in mind.

Unfortunately our strongest available team is required as it is not a game where we can rest players. It's Hivs' twice yearly cup final at Easter Road.

Not sure Yilmaz will start. This will be blood and thunder and different effort levels from the normal Hibs performances

I don't see Yilmaz starting at easter Road.
Would like to see Arfield starting and either Jack or Kamara.

Morelos also needs game time, don't think he will start though.

Kamara's form has dipped. He's not been himself for a while. Does he need more games or more rest?

Cannot understand why so many folks think Alfie is ready to start a game yet.
He’s not managed 30 minutes in recent weeks.
Alfie clearly needs to build up his fitness levels but I’d look to bring him on with 35 minutes to go against Hibs at the very earliest.
His body shape tells us all we need to know about his current fitness levels.
I don’t imagine Gio is overly impressed with his current Mr Blobby look
People think he should start as he has been training for over a month, had a couple of Sub appearances and played a bounce game on Monday. Can’t believe we are back to his body shape again for what it’s worth, he will be fired up and I’d rather he got some game time from the start to see where we he is.

Tough game though I think we will utilise the squad

I’d go

McLaughlin
Tav
Goldson
Davies if fit
Yillmaz

Lundstrum
Jack
Lawrence

Tillman
Colak
Kent
Funny, they have the same names as the Rangers team selection. Surely they haven't bought all our players?;)

The team I would like to see some rest as many of our likely starters on Wednesday.

McGregor
Tav. Goldson Davies Yilmaz
Kamara Jack
Wright Arfield Matondo
Morelos

I think that would have enough to see off the spoon burners and give a lot of key players a rest.

I'd rather see Matondo in that Wright.

I like SW but his decision making consistently let's him down.

I live in Edinburgh, will there be much chance of getting a ticket for the Rangers end outside the ground if I go along? If not I might try to get into the Hibs end, what's the worst that could happen

My view will be unpopular but we can’t be too lightweight tomorrow-for me some of the stated line ups veer towards that. I’d play a solid three in midfield and sacrifice a bit of width and allow the wingbacks to cover that

McLaughlin

Tav
Goldson
Davies
Barisic

Jack
Lundstram

Lawrence
Tillman
Matondo

Morelos

The thinking:

I think Yilmaz will get his chance before long but tomorrow and Wednesday might be too soon. Borna will get the next 2 games IMO.

Sands hasn't done a lot wrong but Davies needs minutes, plus I think there's a case to try and get him ready for Wednesday.

In the midfield Jack played really well in the league last weekend and if he can put in another good performance that would put him in with a shout for playing on Wed too.

Lawrence, Tillman, Matondo behind the main striker, there's goals and creativity in there. All 3 have settled in pretty well and I'd look forward to seeing them tomorrow. Kent is a pretty important player of course but even more so in Europe than in the league. Matondo giving a good showing would be a bonus to know in the future we can give Kent a rest.

Alfredo up front for me, he's simply essential to us when it comes to putting in a strong performance away from home in Europe. It's no coincidence we struggled in Europe in an attacking sense when not at Ibrox without him in the team. He needs at least 60 minutes tomorrow to set him up nicely.

Colak is on a good run so knowing he's on the bench if required is a good thing for us.

We can’t afford to drop any points; start with best and fittest 11.

If we can't beat this awful Hibs team there's no way we're winning this league.

Goldson is on 3 bookings already so needs to be careful as we can't afford him to miss the Piggery.

Last edited:
I’d like to see Jack get concerted minutes and Morelos to get an hour. Alfredo is vital for midweek and needs minutes.

McLaughlin

Tavernier
Goldson
Sands
Barisic

Lundstram
Jack
Davis

Lawrence
Colak
Matondo

Really struggled a bit having to leave out Tillman and Kent but they would be the first subs.

McLaughlin
Tav Goldson Davies Barisic
Jack Lundstram
Matondo Lawrence Kent
Colak

Tough game though I think we will utilise the squad

I’d go

McLaughlin
Tav
Goldson
Davies if fit
Yillmaz

Lundstrum
Jack
Lawrence

Tillman
Colak
Kent
I'd have wee Rab instead of Kent. We need Kent firing for midweek. Whilst it would be good to see Yilmaz start, he does look a little lost with our system hence why I think Borna is getting the nod. He might still be a few games away from the permanent jersey.

Back