Hibs to appoint Michael Appleton to succeed TLB

Peter_OHanrahahanrahan

Can't see a post already.

Hibernian will appoint Michael Appleton as their new head coach in the next 48 hours, Sky Sports News understands.

The former Portsmouth and Oxford manager will succeed Neil Lennon, who left Easter Road last month.

Eddie May has been in caretaker charge since Lennon's departure and he confirmed after Saturday's Scottish Cup victory over Raith Rovers that it was his last match in charge.

Appleton, 43, most recently worked as an assistant coach at Leicester City under both Craig Shakespeare and Claude Puel. He left the King Power Stadium at the end of last season.

Good news for the rest of the league IMO. He's always struck me as being a bit useless.

Ideally, you want good managers for the reason being that teams like Hibs you would want to take points off Celtic, but for the time being, given we have an away game against them, it's not the end of the world. Their current position, as you know, means they won't be in the split, so I don't mind that. Overall though, you would want good managers at these clubs.

Have to say, I've never heard of the guy. Hopefully he's a piss poor manager and he keeps hibs in the mediocrity they deserve.

Some managerial career;
Blackpool 63 days (left by mutual consent)
Blackburn 67 days (sacked)
Leicester (assistant) 4 months (sacked)
Took Oxford to 2nd in League 2
Managerial win %; 39.0
Wish I’d applied for the Hibs job now, going by that any of us would’ve been in with a half decent shout :D

Some managerial career;
Managerial win %; 39.0

Wow, will give him 6 months before he is hounded out.

Very small time fae a small club.

Meh - at least he isn’t a bitter Shellick minded twat. A breath of fresh air for the league after the floater that was previously in their toilet bowl.

I had no idea who this chap is so a quick Google Image search showed me he will have no problems in a square go with most of the SPL!

Quietly spoken, measured, modern type of manager - not into throwing teacups around the dressing room. Was a bit of a slow burn at Oxford and I suspected they would punt him. However, they persevered with him and he built a very effective, attractive outfit that played winning football. Very popular with players and fans here - everyone was disappointed to see him leave for Leicester, but wished him well.
Might do okay at Hibs if he's given time - but I guess you could say that of a lot of managers. I suspect he'll take time to adapt to Scottish football and they'll lose patience with him.

Had a look on their forum and their all raving about how he has a 100% win rate in the EPL, but they also strangely acknowledge the fact he only played two games there.

Did he not do well with Oxford?

At first I thought it was going down the Steve Clarke route with hiring someone who's had a bit of managerial experience coupled with a few stints as assistant in the EPL.

Will probably do good at Hibs. A much better appointment than your run of the mill Scottish managers that they could have went for.

Some managerial career;
Managerial win %; 39.0
Going by that CV you would have to yourself WHY ?

Some managerial career;
Managerial win %; 39.0

A better win % than Steve Clarke before he arrived then. In fact, an identical one that Clarke has now taking into consideration his 52% win rate from Kilmarnock.

That sounds like a really naff appointment for them.

Say what you like about Lennon, but he was a decent manager with a proven track record.

This guy though?

Doesn’t sound like the sort who’ll have them back in the top 6 anytime soon.

You wonder why they don’t go for someone like Tommy Wright.

Some managerial career;
Managerial win %; 39.0

I got to Serie A from Serie C/2 with Castel Di Sangro in Champ Manager 01/02. Surely I'd be in with a shout looking at that?

Some managerial career;
Managerial win %; 39.0
Why on earth would they take on a guy like that ? He won't last a year.

Hibs, like a lot of Scottish clubs with limited funds will always be drawn to someone who's been around the block down south in the hope they can bring in value signings from the lower leagues.

The problem he will have is he has no knowledge or experience of the Scottish game, it will be different to anything he has experienced. can also see him making similar mistakes as Warburton where he will sign a bunch of lower league English players thinking they will cruise it in the Scottish leage

Not managed in a wee while but did well enough at Oxford. Apart from that fairly short stints at other clubs.

Some managerial career;
Managerial win %; 39.0

giphy.gif

Back