Highbury

reyna12

Highbury%2BStadium%2Bin%2BLondon%252C%2B1951.jpg

Highbury under lights 1951.

Arsenals second ever match under floodlights v Rangers in a friendly.

17th oct 1951
Attendance 62000
3-2 Arsenal.

Cool photo from reddit.

That’s a great photo. I was just thinking this afternoon that Arsenal haven’t won a league title since they left Highbury!

Highbury was best stadium in English football. Loved going there. The Emirates isn’t a patch on it

Cracking picture. I know we used to play Arsenal regularly and there was close links between the 2 clubs but how many times did we play at Highbury? Was there for the last one in May '97, Nigel Winterburn's testimonial.

It’s private as far as I could see, luckily one of the metal gates was open as I was walking by the main stand though.
Same thing happened a few years when I was down. Thought I’d go for a look, saw a gate open and wandered in. Strange feeling walking about where the pitch would have been

I use the gym below the flats in the old main stand. Last time I was in some Arsenal fan was working out in the full kit

Highbury, Upton Park even White Hart Lane were all proper stadiums. Replaced by big soulless bowls. I like what spurs have tried to do with their new ground but I bet most fans of those teams really miss the old grounds.

Absolutely agree with this. One of the drawbacks of modern stasis is they dont retain the atmosphere the old grounds did

Used to love watching games on the box at Highbury, camera low down. Only down fall was the crazy B*tch who'd scream any time the opponent had a chance

What became of the shares we had in Arsenal. Did frog eyes sell them and pocket the cash, or am I imagining that. Hard to remember who stole what, and when.
Fantastic picture btw. 62000. All to see the Rangers.

I wonder if they kept the old railings around Highbury, they were quite significant to some of us!

Hadn't seen any photo's since they moved out, thanks for sharing that

Did they keep the facade of the main stand intact if I remember correctly?
Yes, it seems strange when you walk past, a bit ghostly as if you shouldn't be there. I managed to sneak in through security gates as someone was leaving and sprinkled some ashes of my uncle. Down at one of the corners at the clock end

Great photo. The old highbury was great, the emirates however is absolute dung. Never seems to be an atmosphere whenever i watch them

It wasn't nicknamed the Library because of the ear splitting decibels raised by the crowd that's for sure. Arsenal have always had shit fans and atmosphere, no matter where they played.

It was a proper football ground and was there for the winterburn testimonial in 97 which was a great night.

Arsenal have never been the same team since the move to the Emirates and having been there again to see us play the place was pretty soleless.

Reactions: SSR
I would love to have gone to a match at Highbury but never did, went to White Hart Lane not long before it closed, fans were very quiet and polite, strange atmosphere really

Highbury, I’m sure was the only other stadium in the UK with listed status other than Ibrox. An iconic stadium, when you see such traditional stadium it seeps of history of the game. Pity they could not expand Highbury. When teams and fans come to Ibrox, especially European teams they know immediately on sight that it’s is a magical place, absolute footballing royalty! As high tech as the new stadiums are they can be soulless, set up for commercial use only!

Back