Highbury

My wee brother used to live right across the road from it. Was a great stadium. Visited the Emirates when we played in the tournament down there a few years ago and didn’t rate it at all.

336536.jpg

Highbury now.
Hope Tannadice looks like this soon!

Didn't Rangers and Arsenal play each other every pre-season for years, alternating between Ibrox and Highbury? Always thought there was more of a connection between us and Arsenal than us and Chelsea.

Stood in the northbank once when the mural thingy was up in the clock end. Decent atmosphere much better than the Emirates these days

Fantastic picture by the OP the Emirates is a class modern stadium. Just needs a proper support to get it rocking.

Didn't Rangers and Arsenal play each other every pre-season for years, alternating between Ibrox and Highbury? Always thought there was more of a connection between us and Arsenal than us and Chelsea.

Not every season. Here is a list of the friendly games played.

1933/34 Rangers 2, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)
1933/34 Arsenal 1, Rangers 3 (Highbury)
1934/35 Arsenal 1, Rangers 1 (Highbury)
1935/36 Rangers 2, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)
1936/37 Arsenal 2, Rangers 1 (Highbury)
1938/39 Rangers 1, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)
1951/52 Arsenal 3, Rangers 2 (Highbury)
1953/54 Rangers 1, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)
1954/55 Arsenal 3, Rangers 3 (Highbury)
1955/56 Rangers 2, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)
1958/59 Arsenal 0, Rangers 3 (Highbury)
1960/61 Rangers 4, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)
1962/63 Arsenal 2, Rangers 2 (Highbury, Jack Kelsey Testimonial)
1966/67 Rangers 2, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)
1967/68 Arsenal 3, Rangers 0 (Highbury)
1968/69 Rangers 2, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)
1973/74 Rangers 1, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)
1980/81 Rangers 2, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)
1989/90 Rangers 1, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox) (Zenith Data Challenge)
1996/97 Rangers 3, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)
1996/97 Arsenal 3, Rangers 3 (Highbury, Nigel Winterburn Testimonial)
2003/04 Rangers 0, Arsenal 3 (Ibrox)

It wasn't nicknamed the Library because of the ear splitting decibels raised by the crowd that's for sure. Arsenal have always had shit fans and atmosphere, no matter where they played.

They have never been the loudest passionate fans but they could create a half decent atmosphere on their day at Highbury.

The atmosphere at the Emirates is embarrassing for them though.

Similar to West Ham in that you do leave something behind when you move to these big soulless bowls.

Great picture, very few stadiums like this now. Shame they’ve all sold out tradition for soulless American style arenas.

Arsenal are my English team and I am disappointed I never got to see a game at Highbury.
Might be a nostalgia thing but prefer grounds front that era compared to now.

Highbury%2BStadium%2Bin%2BLondon%252C%2B1951.jpg

Highbury under lights 1951.

Arsenals second ever match under floodlights v Rangers in a friendly.

17th oct 1951
Attendance 62000
3-2 Arsenal.

Cool photo from reddit.
This is a brilliant picture! Highbury used to be one of my favourite english stadiums.

My son won a trip with the Teddy Bears' Club to the last North London derby against Spurs.

A fantastic old ground, that the players themselves loved.

There's a bit of old romanticism regarding The Emirates & the atmosphere & that mind you.
The atmosphere at The Emirates is not as much to do with the design of the stadium, or being some soulless bowl, it's because football in general at the top level in the UK is a much sanitized version of what it used to be like. All seater stadiums, ticket prices pricing out ordinary fans, football tourists etc all played more of a part i'd say.

I kept reading on here that Spurs massive single tier stand & acoustics of the new stadium meant it was going to have a brilliant atmosphere. Not really been mentioned since whenever Spurs are on the TV.

Highbury is the only stadium I've been in on a match day that could compete with Ibrox as a 'home'. A magnificent stadium.

FBS

Back