Highland League - whole season could be at risk

Absolutely.

However, I believe they would rather be a big fish, if you get me.
Take the backer away and they’d be just some random village in Sutherland , fair play to them , the gamble worked
Not like formartine United , spent a lot of money for very little return , a league cup, and 2 Aberdeenshire shields

Brora won little in their 60 years until a couple trophies in 1979 , 1995 then domination for a bit in last decade winning the league , league cup and no’s cup.
Don’t know how they’d cope with the long journey to Stranraer or the central belt every 2nd Saturday financially

Is there really that much danger in having fans at these wee grounds? You’re hardly taking about all-seater arenas

Ridiculous that low numbers are not allowed to stand outside and watch football. There can be virtually no risk unless 250 folk do a huddle.

I have heard that some Div1 & 2 clubs have suggested this season be abandoned but the SPFL administrators have refused and responded with the threat that clubs who cannot fulfil the fixtures will be ejected from the organisation and replaced by clubs from the Highland and Lowland leagues.

Take the backer away and they’d be just some random village in Sutherland , fair play to them , the gamble worked
Not like formartine United , spent a lot of money for very little return , a league cup, and 2 Aberdeenshire shields

Brora won little in their 60 years until a couple trophies in 1979 , 1995 then domination for a bit in last decade winning the league , league cup and no’s cup.
Don’t know how they’d cope with the long journey to Stranraer or the central belt every 2nd Saturday financially
I don’t know that much about Brora and their administration or crowds, but this resonates as it does with any Highland League, or Southern League team that doesn’t have serious financial backing to enter the Scottish League.

This resonates:

Sad but true.

It’s amusing that you mention Formartine but not Wicks failed 90’s experiment backed by Norfrost

As a former Brora player from that era I can assure you that the money Wick were offering when they were tapping players up was eye watering for the time.

Unless you’re suggesting Graeme Stewart, Alan Duff, Gordon Connolly etc etc etc were making that 100 mile journey over the Ord every fortnight because they always wanted to play on the slope at Harmsworth? :p

It’s amusing that you mention Formartine but not Wicks failed 90’s experiment backed by Norfrost

As a former Brora player from that era I can assure you that the money Wick were offering when they were tapping players up was eye watering for the time.

Unless you’re suggesting Graeme Stewart, Alan Duff, Gordon Connolly etc etc etc were making that 100 mile journey over the Ord every fortnight because they always wanted to play on the slope at Harmsworth? :p

Keep yer hair on man, Wick tried and failed , signed some not bad players but they weren’t as good as players further south .

Do you think Academy could have stepped up and played highland league with the ncl squad ?? I know I don’t , course they had to spend money, they simply had to get players of a better quality and it didn’t work out .

Formartine spent a lot more than Wick did .

How much did Academy offer you anyhow ?

Keep yer hair on man, Wick tried and failed , signed some not bad players but they weren’t as good as players further south .

Do you think Academy could have stepped up and played highland league with the ncl squad ?? I know I don’t , course they had to spend money, they simply had to get players of a better quality and it didn’t work out .

Formartine spent a lot more than Wick did .

How much did Academy offer you anyhow ?

My hair is firmly affixed to my head. It was partly tongue in cheek which I thought might have been obvious by the smiley, but you bit anyway :))

Of course they had to get better players in, but there’s a difference between getting players in and spending thousands on signing on fees bankrolled by what was then a very successful local (ish) company.

I was never offered anything by Wick, but there was quite a few were. Only one took them up on it IIRC. I’m sure you’ll know who I mean. I know one Thurso based Brora player at that time who was offered £6000 to sign on. Doesn’t seem a great deal now but was massive back then. I got £250 when I signed my first pro contract, just for some context:))

My hair is firmly affixed to my head. It was partly tongue in cheek which I thought might have been obvious by the smiley, but you bit anyway :))

Of course they had to get better players in, but there’s a difference between getting players in and spending thousands on signing on fees bankrolled by what was then a very successful local (ish) company.

I was never offered anything by Wick, but there was quite a few were. Only one took them up on it IIRC. I’m sure you’ll know who I mean. I know one Thurso based Brora player at that time who was offered £6000 to sign on. Doesn’t seem a great deal now but was massive back then. I got £250 when I signed my first pro contract, just for some context:))

That Thurso based player , did he not play for Wick previously or was it the guy with 2 sons now in Academy side ?
As for the smiley I never noticed it lol

Had a wee chuckle to myself at the mention of Cove, who are no more than a tinpot club that have been bank rolled and given preferential treatment since they entered the Highland League.

100% correct apart from that!

Exactly - pumped put of the senior cup 2 years running by a junior team

They should definitely allow crowds to games. Might even get a wee turn from people wanting to see a bit of football.

I respect people who follow these teams, very rarely big glory days for them, but their love for the game cannot be argued with.

That Thurso based player , did he not play for Wick previously or was it the guy with 2 sons now in Academy side ?
As for the smiley I never noticed it lol

The player I was talking about that made the move which you probably remember was Gordon Robertson. the player that was offered the money was a left back. Is it Donald Allan that has the 2 boys at Wick? Ive been away from Brora over 20 years so don't know all the goings ons, but knew that one of his boys was there (David?)

Quite poor response there fella, Brora made us very welcome only a few years ago

Robbie Crawford on the right wing !
People need to stop being so defensive. Considering the SPL is considered a backwater by most of Europe what are people going to think of a league below the 4th tier in Scotland

I was talking to a mate at the beginning of the week who often goes to watch a local (to him) non-league team in the north midlands

They had permission for up to 600 attendance & had 400 plus the week before - all properly social distanced - at least in the stadium itself

They're now being told they have to be BCD

Another 400 attendance would have been the difference between staying afloat or having to borrow

In the past - they've raised funds by having ticketed discos - but can't do that either now

EDIT - I've just been informed - They're about to launch some sort of mega raffle with a car as the top prize
I knew that conversation was going to cost me money

Anyway I can't imagine every Highland League team doing the same ?

Last edited:
The player I was talking about that made the move which you probably remember was Gordon Robertson. the player that was offered the money was a left back. Is it Donald Allan that has the 2 boys at Wick? Ive been away from Brora over 20 years so don't know all the goings ons, but knew that one of his boys was there (David?)

Gordon was is from Keiss not Thurso , aye Donald has 2 boys in Wick’s first team
I was thinking you meant Stevie Cowie , good pal of mine

A lot has changed in the last 20 years !!! Wick are normally in the top ten whereas 20 year ago at the bottom with Fort Brora and lossie ,
Brora fortunes have changed a little too !!!!!!

Aye right enough, I forgot Gordie Rob was from over that way. The more I think about it, it might have been him that got the £6000 to sign on? A few were approached, Stevie, Gary F, Andy Mackay from memory. I would be very surprised if John Suttar and Donald Allan weren't approached as well. I don't know whether to be offended I wasn't approached but being from Brora it would never have happened :))

Stevie is a great lad for a sheep shagger, I haven't seen much of him in the last 15/20 years but I've known him well since the early 80's. I think the last time I saw him was at Broadwood when Brora played Clyde in the Scottish cup a few years ago. Do you work with him offshore? We played together in the Brora under 18's when we played Aberdeen away in the BP Youth Cup I was only 13 or 14. Tell him I was asking for him, he'll know who you mean with that information.

I played in some pretty good Brora teams, and we usually faired pretty well in a Highland League that still had Caley, Thistle, County, Elgin and Peterhead. I never finished in the bottom half as far as I can remember. We actually could have won it in 94/95 - we were top for a while - but fell away badly in the end, finishing 4th (I think it was) We went top with a 4-1 win in Peterhead. Losing Farquhar to St Johnstone didn't help, how do you replace a guy of that level? The 2 years up to getting that move he was on a different level.

After I moved away I went back to a Brora v Rothes game circa 2003, and I was staggered at just how bad Brora had become in only 3/4 years. It was a turgid 0-0 and easily the worst game I've ever seen. It was below NCL standard. I was also staggered to find Rod Houston was Brora manager, he'd been my Geography teacher at school o_O

I played for Brora in your first home derby in the HL. If you remember rightly it was a 5-1 defeat for Wick. It was nice to grab a couple of goals that night was well :p

Aye right enough, I forgot Gordie Rob was from over that way. The more I think about it, it might have been him that got the £6000 to sign on? A few were approached, Stevie, Gary F, Andy Mackay from memory. I would be very surprised if John Suttar and Donald Allan weren't approached as well. I don't know whether to be offended I wasn't approached but being from Brora it would never have happened :))

Stevie is a great lad for a sheep shagger, I haven't seen much of him in the last 15/20 years but I've known him well since the early 80's. I think the last time I saw him was at Broadwood when Brora played Clyde in the Scottish cup a few years ago. Do you work with him offshore? We played together in the Brora under 18's when we played Aberdeen away in the BP Youth Cup I was only 13 or 14. Tell him I was asking for him, he'll know who you mean with that information.

I played in some pretty good Brora teams, and we usually faired pretty well in a Highland League that still had Caley, Thistle, County, Elgin and Peterhead. I never finished in the bottom half as far as I can remember. We actually could have won it in 94/95 - we were top for a while - but fell away badly in the end, finishing 4th (I think it was) We went top with a 4-1 win in Peterhead. Losing Farquhar to St Johnstone didn't help, how do you replace a guy of that level? The 2 years up to getting that move he was on a different level.

After I moved away I went back to a Brora v Rothes game circa 2003, and I was staggered at just how bad Brora had become in only 3/4 years. It was a turgid 0-0 and easily the worst game I've ever seen. It was below NCL standard. I was also staggered to find Rod Houston was Brora manager, he'd been my Geography teacher at school o_O

I played for Brora in your first home derby in the HL. If you remember rightly it was a 5-1 defeat for Wick. It was nice to grab a couple of goals that night was well :p

Aye , rod Houston wasn’t very successful

As for the 1-5 thankfully I was at sea and missed that one !!! Some of them derbies were really good tense games a 4-3 for Brora in the dungeon what a game that was !!

As for Gary F he was miles above anyone in the hfl or the 3 divisions above it, he should’ve went higher than he did but hey ho.

Stevie runs a lot these days , I’ve helped him with it a little bit, he did his first half marathon in March , got a fair time too.
Andy Mackay’s boy played for Wick as well for a season but now he’s back playing for Thurso , he’s probably their beat player

I’ll tell Stevie I was speaking to you , he’s due home next week

If the highland league allowed fans and the SPFL didn’t, you’d probably see the attendance in the highland league rise as more people want to be at the football.

To ensure safe distancing they’d maybe need to make it an all ticket affair, but that would be at an extra cost and would need to be capped.

I don't see why fans at these games can't get in. I'd imagine were not talking large numbers anyway.
My daughter is a nurse up in that area, and to date NO covid deaths have been recorded.

Can I call bullshit on this or have you been in a cave for the past 6 months?

Can I call bullshit on this or have you been in a cave for the past 6 months?

Depends what area he’s in , nhs highland are not specific , in Wick there has been one definite covid death but not heard of any in Thurso, there are cases of the virus here but no deaths/ that bear didn’t say where his daughter was ?
Remember highland league covers Caithness Sutherland Inverness moray Banff lochaber strathspey Aberdeenshire , quite a large area and the figure reported is for a huge area, albeit it’s like 15 yesterday but no one knows where ?

Depends what area he’s in , nhs highland are not specific , in Wick there has been one definite covid death but not heard of any in Thurso, there are cases of the virus here but no deaths/ that bear didn’t say where his daughter was ?
Remember highland league covers Caithness Sutherland Inverness moray Banff lochaber strathspey Aberdeenshire , quite a large area and the figure reported is for a huge area, albeit it’s like 15 yesterday but no one knows where ?
He is telling lies. I have family up there and have heard of two deaths.

Aye , rod Houston wasn’t very successful

As for the 1-5 thankfully I was at sea and missed that one !!! Some of them derbies were really good tense games a 4-3 for Brora in the dungeon what a game that was !!

As for Gary F he was miles above anyone in the hfl or the 3 divisions above it, he should’ve went higher than he did but hey ho.

Stevie runs a lot these days , I’ve helped him with it a little bit, he did his first half marathon in March , got a fair time too.
Andy Mackay’s boy played for Wick as well for a season but now he’s back playing for Thurso , he’s probably their beat player

I’ll tell Stevie I was speaking to you , he’s due home next week

That was some game the 4-3. Christmas 1998 iirc?

Tell Stevie it’s nice to hear he’s actually doing some running, I usually did his running for him back in the day

That was some game the 4-3. Christmas 1998 iirc?

Tell Stevie it’s nice to hear he’s actually doing some running, I usually did his running for him back in the day

I know who yer name is now pal

Can’t see the league going ahead as they’re only allowed 14 on a bus and no allowed to car share , academy had a friendly with Alness called off because they couldn’t travel , if that’s for a friendly what’s the league gona be like ??
Doesn’t look good

Can’t see the league going ahead as they’re only allowed 14 on a bus and no allowed to car share , academy had a friendly with Alness called off because they couldn’t travel , if that’s for a friendly what’s the league gona be like ??
Doesn’t look good

That is brutal. It’s not looking good at all, mate. My dad and 2 nephews still go to watch Brora, they’ll be gutted if it doesn’t go ahead.

They may not get the crowds they used to in the HFL but the clubs are a very important part of local communities, I just hope they all survive if the worst happens, but I won’t be betting on it.

Doesn’t look good

Looks quite grim for Highland league. Assume North Caley will have same problems.

Cost of travel is already high. Shame for lads that put a lot into it give a huge amount of time to training and travel. Wick manager has been doing that for a lot of years.

Looks quite grim for Highland league. Assume North Caley will have same problems.

Cost of travel is already high. Shame for lads that put a lot into it give a huge amount of time to training and travel. Wick manager has been doing that for a lot of years.
North Caley? Is this Clach?

North Caley are not reliant on supporters however the biggest travel issue would be Orkney away

The league this season has been split into two leagues made up of 6 & 7 teams

North Caley are not reliant on supporters however the biggest travel issue would be Orkney away

The league this season has been split into two leagues made up of 6 & 7 teams
Still good to go an watch Thurso at the dammies if Academy are awayand Rangers are on Sunday, get a decent pie and the clubhouse is decent too.

Statement tonight from the Highland League.

Highland League - Season 2020-2021 Start Paused

The Highland League has decided to pause the start of the 2020-2021 season in view of the current public health circumstances.

The season will not start before Saturday 28th November and confirmation of that or an extension of the pause will be considered at a meeting during the week beginning Monday 9th November.

The League Management Committee undertook a careful and detailed consideration of the current situation and felt that, all things considered, a pause was the most appropriate course of action.

Its not the first time since the war the championship was scrapped, who were the champions in 1992/93?

Other leagues at that level and below are kicking of in just over a week. I am sure the HL will be fine.

Back