Hillsborough - 30 years have passed

When you look at it it's a miracle something like that hadn't happened before. Through all the tragedy at least something came out of it in that the stadiums are much safer now and a repeat of this is almost 0.

Was playing amateur football that day and heard the news on the way back in the car of a team mate.

I think a few things hit home... our own disaster but also how common place crushing was back in the 70's/80's at big games-thing was there was normally a way out or a way the pressure could be released...not that day in those circumstances.

I\d be surprised if anyone who was a football fan then wasn't deeply affected by what happened.

It was bad enough what happened but authority's inability to treat the disaster the way it required must have plunged the families into an even blacker hole. A disgrace frankly.

And in all these years no one has been jailed for all these deaths?

That's a bigger and more complicated question.

Duckenfield's biggest crime was to lie about what happened-I think he should have served time for that but the circumstances of what happened were complex.

Similarly those who lied during the investigations and slowed down the process and in some cases derailed it are culpable of quite horrible crimes....Cameron didn't apologise for nothing.

The complexity of where the blame lies all the way down from the FA via the stadium itself to those on the ground on the day is vast. I would suggest by the time control was lost outside the ground and what was in place to deal with it unfortunately it was heading for a disaster of one kind or another. Control had been lost by then and poor decisions were already made.

Thank you DG I was thinking about the piece of shit the SUN boss who ran with the story that all the victims were drunk, even the young kids, and the survivors who were robbing the dead, and a whole range of other accusations, the fact that No10 was involved in the smeer, and cover up, because people from the victims background were disposable, not likely to vote Tory, was a crime in as itself.

Just back from Liverpool, City did them proud, very poignant tributes. Pictures of those poor souls on large banners across the Council Buildings, and the City froze for the silence.

Always in my mind this at events I go to

I’m from a small town so always aware of the differences when going to ‘big’ games and cities.

I was starting to go to games myself around this time and remember advice at various grounds, ‘if this happens there’ll be crushes and surges so move this way etc’ so it has always struck a chord with me

Apart from the cover up (clearly huge and wrong) the planning seems to have been inadequate and this kind of incident was sadly waiting to happen at this ground in particular

Back