Hiw does Del Piero rank amongst the greats?

Great player, but a level or two below the true greats of the game ,Pele,Maradona,Messi,Di Stefano and Puskas, the tier below Cruyff,Eusebio,the two Ronaldos,Zico,Zidane,and Best,I would place him in a group just below the platinis,Charlton ,Weah,Beckenbauers of football, would have included lothar but had no idea how to spell his name,anyway all about opinions ,forgot Baggio should be in that third tier along with slim jim

He wasn’t as good as Baggio IMO, but won a CL and a WC where Baggio had failed.
Tragic that Baggio never got the honours he deserved.
Of all the No.10’s that Italy produced, I’d have Del Piero as second only to Baggio. Del Piero was a top class player.
Does Maldini not too them all in terms of honours?

Del Piero was an amazing player. Genuinely brilliant and is easily up there with the top players in the world. Wasn't just us he ripped apart - he regularly pulled teams apart at all levels. Scored some amazing goals and was deadly with a dead ball.

Has to go down as one of the best. A proper stand out in Italian football which was quite something when you consider the talent that was going about Italy at the time.

Top player. I remember talk of him going to the scum around 3 in a row season, was delighted it came to nothing.
Can't seem to open this!is this the goal he ran from his penalty box to the German end and scored?think people forget he was in an Incredible Juventus side at the time,maybe he wasn't as stand out because if that but between him and van basten watching serie A in those years,and don't start me on defenders be side you had to be good to score against those defences!

Not sure you can use club loyalty and honours to judge a player any road.
I personally think Del Piero is above Totti but that's just me, I wouldn't argue with anyone who thought the other way because Totti was majestic but the likes of Giggs and Maldini were amazing players for their ability not because they stayed at Man U or Milan

I'm not judging them on either, but plenty like to play the 'how many medals?' game when judging players as if all things are equal.

Totti is the best of the bunch for me, an unbelievable player who could do absolutely everything. Point I was making was about the quality of players around them, we never got to see Totti surrounded by the absolute best of teammates because he stayed with his club. Had he accepted that move to Madrid and played with the likes of Ronaldo, Zidane, etc... I believe he could have won the Ballon d'Or. Instead he spent the majority of his career in relatively poor teams, but still produced 495 goals/assists in 750 games.

Can't seem to open this!is this the goal he ran from his penalty box to the German end and scored?think people forget he was in an Incredible Juventus side at the time,maybe he wasn't as stand out because if that but between him and van basten watching serie A in those years,and don't start me on defenders be side you had to be good to score against those defences!
If you click on the title of the video rather than the play button you should be able to view it

Back