Hiw does Del Piero rank amongst the greats?

archimedes

Following on from the 'best player you have seen against us' thread, I was reminded of Del Piero, and how he never really seems to get a mention on many of the 'great player' type lists.

6 Serie A titles
1 Coppa Italia
1 UCL
1 World Cup

amongst other trophies and personal awards.

How would everyone rank him amongst the all time best players?*

*Alex Clelland need not reply to this thread :))

Following on from the 'best player you have seen against us' thread, I was reminded of Del Piero, and how he never really seems to get a mention on many of the 'great player' type lists.

6 Serie A titles
1 Coppa Italia
1 UCL
1 World Cup

amongst other trophies and personal awards.

How would everyone rank him amongst the all time best players?*

*Alex Clelland need not reply to this thread :))

That turn though.

Up there with many in the top top players bracket like Roberto Baggio pure brilliant players.

Not one I’d have considered before seeing your post this evening.
Looks like a rethink is required.
Juventus did have some team back then, obviously.
By the way, Alex Clelland can’t reply.
He’s still too dizzy.

He was different gravy. The turn with the ball glued to his boot left defenders looking rather silly, but above that he had the goals and end product to be considered an Italian legend.
You are correct tho OP, he doesn’t seem to get the kudos he deserves.

Not a bad player.

Non relevant fact. His bird (at the time) came to our school as part of a foreign exchange thing in 5th year for a few weeks.

One of my heroes Robbie Baggio, one of Juve and Italy's Greatest Ever Number 10's was in the Twilight of his career never to see his like again for Juve etc then in the mid 90's Del Piero appears.

Two absolutely Genius's with a ball.

He wasn’t as good as Baggio IMO, but won a CL and a WC where Baggio had failed.
Tragic that Baggio never got the honours he deserved.
Of all the No.10’s that Italy produced, I’d have Del Piero as second only to Baggio. Del Piero was a top class player.

Pre-injury one of the best players in the world at the age of 23. Had scored 21 goals in 32 games in the league with the best defenders in the world and 10 goals in 10 games in the CL, leading Juventus to their 3rd consecutive CL final.

Unfortunately never the same player after his injury, had to adjust and change his game but still went on to have a great career and play at a very high level.

For a mark of how good he was, he left the Bernabeau to a standing ovation from opposition fans at the age of 34. Audience there are good judges of quality.

Last edited:
Better than Totti? I suspect he was.

Strongly disagree.

The Italians produce some unbelievable 10's, but Totti is the absolute best of the lot for me. Him rejecting Madrid and the likes to stay at Roma, meaning he spent 95% of his career playing with significantly lesser players than those other 10's, seriously hurt his trophy count and platform to shine but I believe it was still a worthwhile price for the loyalty and how he'll be remembered.

All special players, but Totti was a genius in any position.

Last edited:
Would say he was one of the last of his bread. Could finish his and every one else dinner with his back to goal and a turkey on his. Nut . But the last Italian striker that deserved the status of the Italian striker

Strongly disagree.

The Italians produce some unbelievable 10's, but Totti is the absolute best of the lot for me. Him rejecting Madrid and the likes to stay at Roma, meaning he spent 95% of his career playing with significantly lesser players than those other 10's, seriously hurt his trophy count and platform to shine but I believe it was still a worthwhile price for the loyalty and how he'll be remembered.

All special players, but Totti was a genius is any position.
Totti, di Baggio, del Piero, who was best?
What a choice.

Italy had some world class number 10s around that time, he was right up there with the best.

That game at Ibrox in 95 when they ripped us apart was my first game. Awesome.

Was thinking the same about Gullit yesterday, where does he rank among the greats ?

could play almost anywhere on the pitch but most successful as an attacking midfielder

Would say he was one of the last of his bread. Could finish his and every one else dinner with his back to goal and a turkey on his. Nut . But the last Italian striker that deserved the status of the Italian striker

Am I missing a joke here?

Del Piero was a class act. Definitely up there with Totti and Baggio when you're talking about Italian no.10s. A joy to watch.

Above Totti, Baggio, Vialli for me
On world stage...hard to say but certainly above Hagi, Stoichkov and Rivaldo etc
Possibly just behind the likes of a Ronaldo

Last edited:
Del Piero was a genius. The 2006 goal against Germany was so fitting.

Totti and Baggio were better though.

Strongly disagree.

All special players, but Totti was a genius in any position.
Not sure you can use club loyalty and honours to judge a player any road.
I personally think Del Piero is above Totti but that's just me, I wouldn't argue with anyone who thought the other way because Totti was majestic but the likes of Giggs and Maldini were amazing players for their ability not because they stayed at Man U or Milan

Was thinking the same about Gullit yesterday, where does he rank among the greats ?

could play almost anywhere on the pitch but most successful as an attacking midfielder
Great shout, I'd love to see Dutch pundits and ex Pros break down an all time best XI

Back