Home Advantage (or lack thereof)

Coatbridge Chancellor

Just thinking about the fixtures when we resume and the debate about whether we'll be at Aberdeen, Hibs, Kilmarnock etc.

What do we reckon the difference will be without a crowd, at home and away, which is likely for a short period at least.

Studies seem to show that leagues that have restarted have seen home sides lose circa 10% of the 'home advantage'. Do we think it will have a bigger effect on us/Celtic losing the big atmospheres or will it see our players enjoy playing without the pressure of a demanding crowd?

Similarly, will it be easier going to Pittodrie/Easter Road without 10,000+ mutants jeering at us?

When the Germans started back it was something ridiculous like 4 home victories in the first 3 rounds of matches and 2 of them were Munich winning which you would expect anyway.

There must be something to it.

My fear is without fans at Ibrox the team will lose a bit of edge and it'll almost be a training match.

I know if I had 50,000 fans watching i would put more effort in. With zero fans I'd be less intense but that's why I don't earn 20k a week :p

I reckon it’s more likely to hurt us than help us. Not so much at Ibrox, but I think our away fans make a big impact and actual lift some of the non Scottish players who aren’t used to large travelling supports.

I also think teams will feel more confident to have a go at us, especially physically. Unless we make a signing that will give us some bite I fear we might get bullied in certain games just like last year.

My fear is without fans at Ibrox the team will lose a bit of edge and it'll almost be a training match.

I know if I had 50,000 fans watching i would put more effort in. With zero fans I'd be less intense but that's why I don't earn 20k a week :p
Only 19500

Might be a good thing for us. When the fixture generator randomly (no laughing) outsnus at Aberdeen or Motherwell away it might be easier than the corrupt ones expect

Might work in our favour. No moans and groans for a misplaced pass, no nervousness from crowd filtering into the team. We’ve heard some players talking about pressure previously. Like it or not, the players think it’s there. Without a crowd it may help.

No racism or scum behaviour from the enemies getting to our players.

In short, without all the background noise maybe it’ll be a case of players remaining calmer and only having their opponents to worry about. Opponents we all know our players are better than!

But it might work against us without people driving you on.

Does a crowd really get an extra 5-10% out of you?

We’ll have to wait and see.

But on the other hand, you'll get Brandon Barker attempting drag backs and rabonas without the pressure of the crowd. This is what we're all waiting for. :)

Some players have already said they struggle with crowd pressure, so no excuses now.

It will defo effect us at home but also will help at hostile grounds too.

Will also hinder that lot too without 40k plus at home pressuring already corrupt refs into penalties and red cards and so on.

Also 1/3 of our away games are against practically zero home support anyway.

Ie Killie, Livi, Hamilton, St Johnstone.

We always hear how the guys are great in training, this will be a similar feel so we should win the World Cup!

Seriously though, I think in the main, for us and them, it won’t matter that much. I think some teams might even surprise us and have 2 players in our half in some matches with their being no “home advantage”

Can’t remember what I was listening to (might have been Sportsound) but they asked opposition managers if they seen coming to Ibrox or Snake Mountain with no crowd as an advantage and they said no, it benefited the home side as the option of sitting in and frustrating the home crowd to get on the teams back was taken away.

A lot of the time being at home, especially in run of the mill league games, can be a hindrance rather than a help as folk sit impatiently daring players to make a mistake!

Doesn’t matter. Games still need to be won. One game at a time. This is a big season. If we don’t win league then total rebuild of management and team again. Unthinkable.

If you look at the EPL, the teams at the bottom have been getting pumped without the crowds.

A few upsets at the since the title was decided but not many at the bottom.

There's still a home advantage, I'd say.

For example Ibrox has the camber across the pitch.

Might actually help wee Alf as he won't get a few thousand mutants screaming for a foul everytime he plays the ball. Also no fans to annoy when he scores.

But on the other hand, you'll get Brandon Barker attempting drag backs and rabonas without the pressure of the crowd. This is what we're all waiting for. :)
I never even thought of that, we might finally see his training ground form!

Just thinking about the fixtures when we resume and the debate about whether we'll be at Aberdeen, Hibs, Kilmarnock etc.

What do we reckon the difference will be without a crowd, at home and away, which is likely for a short period at least.

Studies seem to show that leagues that have restarted have seen home sides lose circa 10% of the 'home advantage'. Do we think it will have a bigger effect on us/Celtic losing the big atmospheres or will it see our players enjoy playing without the pressure of a demanding crowd?

Similarly, will it be easier going to Pittodrie/Easter Road without 10,000+ mutants jeering at us?
I understand we are away to Aberdeen and Celtic are home to Hamilton.

Can’t remember what I was listening to (might have been Sportsound) but they asked opposition managers if they seen coming to Ibrox or Snake Mountain with no crowd as an advantage and they said no, it benefited the home side as the option of sitting in and frustrating the home crowd to get on the teams back was taken away.

A lot of the time being at home, especially in run of the mill league games, can be a hindrance rather than a help as folk sit impatiently daring players to make a mistake!

I agree with that. I also think wee mentally challenged supporting players from other teams thrive off our fans having a go at them (home or away) and put that extra effort in.

Helps us massively, imo.

Not sure teams are scared of coming to Ibrox for the crowd.

Away to the sheep etc, should be far more comfortable for our players.
Ibrox is far more intimidating for our own players at times, which is shameful to say but it's true. That sizeable toxic element who only exist to squeal abuse at the players need to get a grip this season and get behind the team

Ibrox is far more intimidating for our own players at times, which is shameful to say but it's true. That sizeable toxic element who only exist to squeal abuse at the players need to get a grip this season and get behind the team

I think the likes of Aribo will benefit massively.

Morelos, for other reasons, should also benefit Away from home.

I don't particularly think we have a great home advantage. In Europe yes. In the league however, there is an element of the crowd at Ibrox who are pissed off if we are not 3 nil up after 5 minutes and seem to have some sort of Vendetta against Tav

Majority of our players can’t handle the pressures of a rattled Ibrox crowd. I think it’ll benefit us having no fans at home.

It will be interesting to see which players really shine without fans.
That could tell us a lot about a player and the demands of large crowds.

It'll help us without a doubt imo. There wont be many teams fans in the whole of Britain who turn on their players as quick as we do.

The aggro level of games is destroyed.

Which is good for us as everyone is booing and moaning for freekicks as soon as we get the ball.

I think it may benefit us in that a misplaced pass wont be moaned about by sections of the support. Also think players may be more relaxed and try things they wouldn't normally due to the aforementioned moaning. That raises other questions I suppise but may give them confidence to kick on. Be interesting to see tactics of other teams as getting home Ibrox crowd on players backs has helped them in the past, with no crowd they cant do it. Away from home will be interesting as no home crowds baying for ref to send our players off, also our playerz can take throw i s and corners without fear of being struck by various objects

Back