Home team wearing change strips ?

georgeclooney

I have just clocked the 5 Nations rugby and France, the home side, are wearing white allowing Italy to wear blue. Is this a rugby union thing that the home team changes from their traditional colours ?
I would not like to watch Rangers at Ibrox in anything other than blue.
Thoughts ?

We wore the orange kit at Ibrox in the 02/03 season a few times. I agree with you, we should play in blue at home.

Arsenal played in their blue away kit last night. Thought it was pretty strange as Ostersunds wore all white

I remember Rangers playing Dundee at Ibrox and we wore white. Think it was the 02/03 treble season

We wore our away top at home v Lyon in 2007, for reasons I didn't quite understand.

We wore our change strip (blue and white stripes) at Ibrox on a number of occasions in the early 60’s and in the late 60’s the red strip version of the blue crew neck.

I am a believer that the away team should wear their change strip. One of the few decisions I agree with in the modern game.

Old codger Loyal

We wore our away top at home v Lyon in 2007, for reasons I didn't quite understand.
Pretty sure it was because of a mix up with our kit for the game in Lyon, because we werent allowed to advertise carling on our strip we had special tops made with the sponsor missing , but they did it with our home kit by mistake instead of the away.

We wore our home kit without the sponser and Lyon wore their away kit , Rangers returned the favour for the game at Ibrox.

So im told anyway :D

I agree that I wouldn't like to see Rangers in anything other than our home top at Ibrox. I don't even like it when we don't wear our black socks.

Pretty sure it was because of a mix up with our kit for the game in Lyon, because we werent allowed to advertise carling on our strip we had special tops made with the sponsor missing , but they did it with our home kit by mistake instead of the away.

We wore our home kit without the sponser and Lyon wore their away kit , Rangers returned the favour for the game at Ibrox.

So im told anyway :D

The problem was that no one realised the Lyon had a Euro kit, they wore their normal home kit against us and we allowed them to wear the euro kit at Ibrox

It’s wrong and threatens the complete collapse of western civilisation if it continues.

Stop it, now!

It’s called a home kit for a reason.

9_B152277_32_F6_4_C54_914_E_F8_BB208_B2637.jpg

Here’s us at home in our away kit in a CL qualifier.

We played Inter Milan in the yoofa cup back in the 80's.
Both clubs agreed to wear their change strips in their home tie.
The rationale being as both teams were giants in the game it would give the home fans the opportunity of seeing the away club in their proper colours, so i was told.
I thought it was quite a good idea.

pretty sure it's always been the rules that the home team play in a different kit when there is a clash .

it's called the change kit not the away kit .

If the ref decides on the day that there is a kit clash then the home team changes for reasons of practicality.

Article 51 Colours 51.01 For all competition matches, the home club has the first choice as to which of its official kits announced on the entry form it wears for its home matches. In the qualifying phase and play-offs the clubs agree on the colours to be worn from the kits announced on their entry forms. If the clubs are unable to agree on the colours to be worn by their teams, they inform the UEFA administration, who takes a final decision. As of the group stage, the UEFA administration makes proposals for the kits to be worn. The proposals can be changed at the request of the clubs provided that the alternative solution does not lead to clashes in any part of the kit. If no agreement can be found, the UEFA administration takes a final decision. 51.02 In any case, if the referee notices on the spot that the colours of the two teams could lead to confusion, he decides on the colours, after consulting the UEFA match delegate and the UEFA administration. As a rule, in such cases it is the home team that has to change colours, for practical reasons. 51.03 For the final, both teams may wear their first choice of colours. However, if there is a clash, the team designated as the away team must wear alternative colours. The UEFA administration proposes suitably contrasting colours in advance of the

Looks like we're both right.

I was told recently that apparently most sports (in this particular case we were discussing basketball) have the home team wearing their "away" colours if there's a clash, and it's only really football where the home side gets the home colours.

I was told recently that apparently most sports (in this particular case we were discussing basketball) have the home team wearing their "away" colours if there's a clash, and it's only really football where the home side gets the home colours.

Baseball too.

Not association football, but in the NFL the Miami Dolphins were their white away kit for all daytime home games as they believe it gives them an advantage in terms of white reflecting heat.

I'm sure NFL teams have an arrangement where home team normally wears white. I think something similar applies to NBA & NHL.

Last edited:
I mind the 73-74 season league cup section home to dundee wearing red top won 4-0 i think, maybe other home games, i just cannot mind.

In Rugby internationals it has always been the home team that changes colours in the event of a clash.
As stated above, I think that in football the home team can choose which kit they use, and the away team have to accommodate them, so sometimes you see both sides wearing alternative colours.

In Scotland the home team changed until late 70s/early 80s.

We've had a thread on this a few times. Up until the 70s there were no "home and away kits" and certainly no 3rd kit.

It was considered good manners to allow your visitors to wear their normal shirts and the hosts would use their "change kit"

We've had change strips of all white, red shirts white shorts, white shirts with a blue and red band with blue shorts and of course Blue and White stripes with blue shorts.

Ah, the good old days...

It's established etiquette in European competitions that if there's a colour clash, the home team will wear their change kit as a courtesy to the visitors.
We wore our white adidas away kit vs Brugge in 93
Thats what dazzled their keeper for Nissy,s wonder strike

I'm sure NFL teams have an arrangement where home team normally wears white. I think something similar applies to NBA & NHL.

In the NFL All the teams have a white kit but the majority wear their team colours at home and a white kit as their away kit as such, the NBA just changed their rules for this season allowing teams to wear whatever colour they want, in the NHL home teams tend to wear team colours and white away.

Arsenal played in their blue away kit last night. Thought it was pretty strange as Ostersunds wore all white

This was apparently a result of Ostersunds home and away kits being all white or all red so there would have been something of a clash either way with Arsenal’s home shirts/shorts.

Arsenal offered to play in their blue kit as a result. Just so happens they seem to have a honking record wearing that kit.

Back