Homebrew

Diego Forlan

Official Ticketer
Looking at buying myself a homebrew kit as I quite fancy making my own beer.

I know from threads on the previous forum that there are a few on here who make their own, so looking for suggestions on a kit

any advice/sites worth looking at to read up on too would be appreciated.

How much space is needed? I don't have a particularly big kitchen or garage space.

it is a very rewarding past time!
I have recently began brewing all grain and I am brewing again on Friday, this will be the 5th brew I've done.
Start with the basic kit and upgrade along the way (next upgrade for me is a fermentation fridge - then a HERMS)
If you don't fancy starting with all-grain, there are decent extract brewing kits which is basically cans of malt extract that you boil and ferment.
I get ingredients from The malt miller website and use an app called beersmith.

couple of youtubers are good to follow
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-z5MeIZ5236ybbfRMxBtlQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIIYTzYpd8D7y816diZB0Dw

Like Jackhammer I am all-grain (use a Grainfather) but need to progress to fermentation temp control - that'll need an upgrade to the Shed!

Starting out you can get a basic kit easy enough (fermentation bucket, syphon etc). I order most of my stuff from www.brewuk.co.uk but I buy the odd bit and bob from the Homebrew shop in Dumbarton Road in Glasgow - if you can get there it is maybe worthwhile getting a start up kit from them so you have everything you need. I wouldn't get the Cooper starting kit though - it's a bit of an unusual system. Then you need the actual ingredients - The Youngs premium ale kits are very good for starting off (especially the American IPA), a good introduction - it's basically just adding water to a can of malt then chucking in some yeast.

@Jackhammer what are you brewing up this week? I will be doing a Saison and a Weisbier in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
@byebyethehihi - trying to get at least one brew a month done
On Friday brewing an American Amber ale - golden promise, Munich and Crystal malts & cascade hops
My mates brewed a very tasty saison recently - on my to do list!

My last brew was 66% Golden Promise 33% Vienna. I added a tiny (10g) amount of Roasted Barley as an experiment to see how it impacted colour. It added a bit of colour but I was surprised to find I could detect a bit of roastiness in the flavour. I was quite pleased with it.

I got one a while back but haven't used it. Going with wine and then mead. Beer seems like a lot of work for little reward.

Done the beer a few times and it was hard work however did do quite a lot of wine and it was much better a lot more interesting and faster turnaround and really easy to do.

I've done beer and cider from kits over the years, but these days it's wine mostly made from fruit at those "Pick Your Own" farms. Really rewarding hobby once you get the hang of it.....

Done a few kits and also made some turbo raspberry cider that wasn't too bad.

Done a local micro brewery tour and have some ideas of how I want to set up once I move house

Did a bit of home brewing many moons ago, I used CAMRA books as a guide and always got good results.

Made a few batches of cider last year. All you need is unpasturized apple juice & champagne yeast. Was very tastey stuff

I'm brewing my first all grain batch on Sunday. A sorachi ace clone. Looking forward to it.

How to Brew book is superb and I'd thoroughly recommend to anyone. It's very well written and full of information on the whole process.

Back