Homegrown talents

Teessidebear

After the pre contract signing of Scott Wright, it got me thinking of what other homegrown talents we should/could sign from clubs in SPFL. it will obviously help towards Europe as well.

2 players for me I would look to target would be

Josh Doig the hibs left back. Looks to have a bright future, very good going forward and capable of playing centre half too. Big talent.

Jason Kerr the St Johnstone centre half. I’m quite surprised no big clubs have snapped him up, I’ve seen him play for Scotland under 21’s a few times often alongside Ryan porteous and for me he was head and shoulders above Porteous. I know we are pretty top heavy in central defenders right now but if anybody moves on I would target him.

Who else has impressed bears?

Last edited:
I like Kerr but I'd say St J 1will charge over £1m which provides zero value, once you consider Balogun was a free! And with Doig at 18 you'd just be stalling his career as he'd be some way behind Bassey and Borna at the moment.
Not for us but I've liked Nisbett and Smith at Hamilton

I like Kerr but I'd say St J 1will charge over £1m which provides zero value, once you consider Balogun was a free! And with Doig at 18 you'd just be stalling his career as he'd be some way behind Bassey and Borna at the moment.
I’m not sure about 1 million in the current climate I’m sure 500k would do.

aye your probably right about Doig though. Worth keeping a close eye on atm.

Smith at Hamilton looks to have potential and maybe even Jamie Hamilton too.

couple of other to keep an eye on are Lewis Neilson at Dundee Utd, who think we actually already tried to sign.

Ryan Duncan at Aberdeen who I think is only 16 but supposed to have bags of potential.

Nesbit at Hibs.

Scott Banks at Crystal Palace looks an outstanding talent in the PL under 23 league (going by Twitter highlights). Believe he captains them. Not sure how much he would cost though. Only recently joined them from Dundee Utd.

I’m amazed at the amount of young players ( in Scotland ) who extend contracts without buy-out / trigger clauses.

Get it on the first contract, but if clubs want to retain an established player V losing them for a development fee surely a significant majority of them would accept a mutually beneficial trade off.

I'm not sure how Kerr at 1 million provides zero value. IF the management identified him as a player they like then surely 1 mill for a future first team player, hence a future sell on potential, is superb value?

Last edited:
There is a lot better talent playing in youth or amature football in Scotland but are plauged with mental health problems that stop then movjng forward .
Just saying .

I'm not sure how Kerr at 1 million provides zero value. IF the management identified him as a player they like then surely 1 mill for a future first team player, hence a future sell on potential, is sudperb value?
Not when you can buy Bassey, Balogun and Edmundson for a fraction of the fee that I'm guessing St J will sell their captain for. Scotland's always been poor value fee wise

There is a lot better talent playing in youth or amature football in Scotland but are plauged with mental health problems that stop then movjng forward .
Just saying .
Mental Health is a horrible disease blighting young men particularly but I don't see any correlation in what you say, would players in the professional game not be liable to suffer from similar issues helping them move forward.
Junior football should always be a big part of Scottish football but the days of finding a gem who has a better chance of making the breakthrough at Rangers than the international youth boys littered through all our Academy ages are slim

Nesbit at Hibs.

Scott Banks at Crystal Palace looks an outstanding talent in the PL under 23 league (going by Twitter highlights). Believe he captains them. Not sure how much he would cost though. Only recently joined them from Dundee Utd.
Banks signed to Dunfermline on loan this month

After the pre contract signing of Scott Wright, it got me thinking of what other homegrown talents we should/could sign from clubs in SPFL. it will obviously help towards Europe as well.

2 players for me I would look to target would be

Josh Doig the hibs left back. Looks to have a bright future, very good going forward and capable of playing centre half too. Big talent.

Jason Kerr the St Johnstone centre half. I’m quite surprised no big clubs have snapped him up, I’ve seen him play for Scotland under 21’s a few times often alongside Ryan porteous and for me he was head and shoulders above Porteous. I know we are pretty top heavy in central defenders right now but if anybody moves on I would target him.

Who else has impressed bears?
Is doig better than bassey? For me no but he is a decent player

I don't see any reason why Kennedy Patterson and Kelly can't get more minutes next season if we are looking at saving money due to the pandemic hopefully we will be doing so from a position of strength

What are the rules regarding homegrown player requirements in Scotland? Is it the same as England?

I tried googling it but can't find any info about it.

We should be offering to buy players early at small fee and loan them back for a couple of years. Low risk.

Chris Mochrie at Dundee United is meant to be a good player. Only 17 and just recently got recalled from his loan so I’m not sure if he’s going to feature for the 1st team or go out to a different club.

Doig and McCann as other have said would be viable options. Scott Banks also as someone else said has got rave reviews from Palace fans when he played for their U23s - Just went on loan to Dunfermline so will be interesting to see how he gets on there.

Then we’ve got our own boys Patterson, Kelly and Kennedy who I expect to feature next season.

Is doig better than bassey? For me no but he is a decent player
One is 21 the other is 18. They are in different phases of their development. You can't really compare the 2 at the minute.

Also wouldn't it be more likey that Doig would be the eventual succession plan to Bassey than Barisic. By the time Bassey is in his mid 20s, Doig will be just in his early 20s. If Bassey develops like we hope then surely we should be looking for his eventual replacement?

Balogan is 33. With no resale value.

I’m not sure about 1 million in the current climate I’m sure 500k would do.

aye your probably right about Doig though. Worth keeping a close eye on atm.

Smith at Hamilton looks to have potential and maybe even Jamie Hamilton too.

couple of other to keep an eye on are Lewis Neilson at Dundee Utd, who think we actually already tried to sign.

Ryan Duncan at Aberdeen who I think is only 16 but supposed to have bags of potential.

I’m praying your a scout for the Tims

Sorry for kind of taking this off-topic because I'm not making any suggestions, but I think this is the only real way for us to go as a club. Relatively speaking, don't think our youth system is producing that much useable talent, I don't know if it's something we throw a lot of money at, but if it's not, I'd be happy with that.

It's too easy for our own young players to jump ship and we don't really get much other than a development fee if this happens. I think we should concentrate on pulling in older talent from other clubs, developing them and then giving them more exposure with the intention of selling them on for a profit.

You just have to look at the players like Morelos & Kent, and see how much value they bring to the team and what they could be sold for. Kai is one of our most talented young players and last I heard he doesn't want to sign a new deal with us, so where exactly does that leave us?

I would be against stopping our youth development, but it's definitely something I wouldn't be concentrating on.

One is 21 the other is 18. They are in different phases of their development. You can't really compare the 2 at the minute.

Also wouldn't it be more likey that Doig would be the eventual succession plan to Bassey than Barisic. By the time Bassey is in his mid 20s, Doig will be just in his early 20s. If Bassey develops like we hope then surely we should be looking for his eventual replacement?
Bassey is 21 if he starts say next season we won’t need a replacement for 3/4 years, much rather go and get a 26/27 yo on a wage who knows they’re going to be a role players than get doig hope he fits his potential and have to swap the two every other week

Sorry for kind of taking this off-topic because I'm not making any suggestions, but I think this is the only real way for us to go as a club. Relatively speaking, don't think our youth system is producing that much useable talent, I don't know if it's something we throw a lot of money at, but if it's not, I'd be happy with that.

It's too easy for our own young players to jump ship and we don't really get much other than a development fee if this happens. I think we should concentrate on pulling in older talent from other clubs, developing them and then giving them more exposure with the intention of selling them on for a profit.

You just have to look at the players like Morelos & Kent, and see how much value they bring to the team and what they could be sold for. Kai is one of our most talented young players and last I heard he doesn't want to sign a new deal with us, so where exactly does that leave us?

I would be against stopping our youth development, but it's definitely something I wouldn't be concentrating on.

Kai Kennedy signed a new contract nearly 3 weeks ago.

What are the rules regarding homegrown player requirements in Scotland? Is it the same as England?

There are no rules for the spfl. Although after brexit its something they could bring in to manage work permits.

There are of course the home grown rules for European competition.

I don’t think there is anyone out their who improves us in the SPL

what I am more interested in is do the coaches think there is and or do we have better in our academy.

when you look at the big 3 in Portugal they send out team loads on loans to the rest of the league and it’s something we should be doing as one it ensures there aren’t just shit loads of Tim’s who try harder against us every week compared to them and 2 it does improve them.

i would be looking at the likes of Hamilton, St Johnstone and Kilmarnock and saying take 3 each a season and get them playing

I don't see any reason why Kennedy Patterson and Kelly can't get more minutes next season if we are looking at saving money due to the pandemic hopefully we will be doing so from a position of strength
I'd like to think Lewis Mayo could be included in next years squad as well..

In terms of our league squad? We don’t have any registration restrictions for our domestic competitions.

Back