Honest assessment of our squad

TylerDurden

Official Ticketer
W. Foderingham - decent keeper, makes some good saves and some awful howlers, we could do better.

J. Alnwick - looked okay when I've seen him play, not seen enough.

L. Kelly - haven't seen much of him.

F. Cardoso - has looked average at best, maybe an extended run in the team would help him, jury very much out.

B. Alves - overrated and injury prone

D. Wilson - had been playing fairly well until the last couple of games, but generally shouldn't be considered anything more than a squad player.

D. Bates - one of the worst footballers I have seen play for us, makes Salim Kerkar look like Zidane, has some decent defensive attributes but simply not good enough.

R. McCrorie - probably his worst performance so far yesterday, but his quality is there for all to see.

L. Wallace - decent player, no more than that, his frequent injuries is a worry though.

D. John - awful defensively, seems okay going forward, very slight and too easily muscled off the ball.

J. Tavernier - Absolutely fantastic going forward, partial to lapses defensively but geys way more criticism than he deserves. Our best option at right back by quite some distance and would set us back a hefty transfer fee to replace him with a player of similar ability.

L. Hodson - awful, just awful.

G. Dorrans - has been a disappointment, but my expectations were so high for him it was probably unrealistic, will hopefully be a good player for us.

C. Peña - would like to see more of him, looks like he has never seen a football at times but has popped up with some important goals and did seem to improve in his last few games.

J. Barjonas - has looked decent, nothing special though, don't think he will ever be more than a squad player but will be happy to be proved wrong.

J. Rossiter - who?

Dálcio - from what I have seen he doesn't look good enough.

Ryan Jack - one of our best performers so far this season, possibly a bit of a discipline issue but had been unlucky in that regard also.

J. Holt - has surprised me a little this season been pretty good recently, but had a poor game yesterday. Decent squad player.

N. Kranjcar - past his best about 4 year ago.

J. Windass - probably our best creative threat, very underrated by alot of our support, can be frustrating the way he drifts in and out of games but gets more criticism than he deserves.

D. Candeias - can be anonymous for long periods but his final ball is superb, has definitely improved us.

A. Nemane - see dalcio.

E. Herrera - has looked average at best from what I have seen, hasn't really had enough game time though.

A. Morelos - had a fantastic start to the season, but struggled a bit for form since, was poor yesterday, had two chances put on a plate for him. Has been a fantastic signing though.

K. Miller - well past his best, shouldn't be near our starting 11 again.

R. Hardie - has an impressive record at youth level, hasn't shown much for the first team, would like to see him get a chance though.

Certainly need to improve right across the pitch, goalkeeper, centre back, left back left midfield, striker are areas we particularly need to strengthen in.

Last edited:
Wes, McCrorie, Dorrans, Jack & Morelos are the only players I would keep if completely overhauling the squad was a realistic option.

Agree with most of your assessments and it just goes to show how poorly we have performed in the transfer market under two managers. Hypothetically I wonder if we would break even if we sold them all in the next window.

We are down to the absolute bare bones. Jack, Dorrans, Wallace, Miller and Jack have all been unavailable due to injury and suspensions. Right now we have one striker and one natural wide player available who are good enough to play for Rangers. In fact we have one natural winger in the whole squad regardless of injuries. We have Nemane too but he's clearly not ready to play at this level and will return to Man City next week. We bought very badly in the summer and this is what we're left with.

It's a shite squad

We were only ever one injury away from looking no better than last year, really. Even if you look past the individual quality, as a squad the togetherness isn't really great and you don't get the impression these players fight for one another on the park

Just a shite squad

About 6 or 7 in the whole squad who are good enough if working with a decent manager, which they aren’t and haven’t since they came to Rangers.

Agree with most of your assessments and it just goes to show how poorly we have performed in the transfer market under two managers. Hypothetically I wonder if we would break even if we sold them all in the next window.
Struggle to see where we make profits on any player, may make a small profit on Morelos, Windass and Tav, would be surprised if we didn't make a loss on all of the rest.

Jordan Thompson -- Haven't really seen enough of him to form an opinion. Disappointing that he seems to have fallen so far down the pecking order.

Aidan Wilson -- Seen as a prospect, but from what I recall of seeing him play there's potential there.

Myles Beerman -- Another player (like Barjonas) who played to a decent level last season, but has hardly featured since. Not the greatest full back in the world, but no worse than John I'd suggest.

Others like Burt, Atakayi, Dallas and Palmer may well be the ones to fast-track into our first team, if possible.
When will opportunities to do so arise again though !!

btw, as for our players out on loan ... I'd write them off, except the youngsters.

W. Foderingham - decent keeper, makes some good saves and some awful howlers, we could do better.

L. Kelly - have seen much of him.

F. Cardoso - has looked average at best, maybe an extended run in the team would help him, jury very much out.

D. Wilson - had been playing fairly well until the last couple of games, but generally shouldn't be considered anything more than a squad player.

D. Bates - one of the worst footballers I have seen play for us, makes Salim Kerkar look like Zidane, has some decent defensive attributes but simply not good enough.

R. McCrorie - probably his worst performance so far yesterday, but his quality is there for all to see.

L. Wallace - decent player, no more than that, his frequent injuries is a worry though.

D. John - awful defensively, seems okay going forward, very slight and too easily muscled off the ball.

J. Tavernier - Absolutely fantastic going forward, partial to lapses defensively but geys way more criticism than he deserves. Our best option at right back by quite some distance and would set us back a hefty transfer fee to replace him with a player of similar ability.

G. Dorrans - has been a disappointment, but my expectations were so high for him it was probably unrealistic, will hopefully be a good player for us.

C. Peña - would like to see more of him, looks like he has never seen a football at times but has popped up with some important goals and did seem to improve in his last few games.

J. Barjonas - has looked decent, nothing special though, don't think he will ever be more than a squad player but will be happy to be proved wrong.

J. Rossiter - who?

Ryan Jack - one of our best performers so far this season, possibly a bit of a discipline issue but had been unlucky in that regard also.

J. Holt - has surprised me a little this season been pretty good recently, bit had a poor game yesterday. Decent squad player.

J. Windass - probably our best creative threat, very underrated by alot of our support, can be frustrating the way he drifts in and out of games but gets more criticism than he deserves.

D. Candeias - can be anonymous for long periods but his final ball is superb, has definitely improved us.

A. Nemane - see dalcio.

E. Herrera - has looked average at best from what I have seen, hasn't really had enough game time though.

A. Morelos - had a fantastic start to the season, but struggled a bit for form, was poor yesterday, had two chances put on a plate for him. Has been a fantastic signing though.

R. Hardie - has an impressive record at youth level, hasn't show much for the first team, would like to see him get a chance though.

Certainly need to improve right across the pitch, goalkeeper, centre back, left back left midfield, striker are areas we particularly need to strengthen in.
Agree with pretty much all of this, but a good Manager would be able to get a lot more out of them.

Windass has ability and could be great for us, but he’s not got a footballing brain. The passes he should be making he misses.

I actually think we have around a dozen players suitable for the squad,problem is we're another dozen short-many of whom would need to be first teamers.
Throwing away Alves,Cardoso,Pena,Candeias,Jack and John after half a season won't help

Shite, however most players have their strengths. If we can find a system that plays to their stregnths we could be a decent team.

For instance say we tried a system with McCrorie sitting in and protecting the defence even when our full backs bombing forward as is their strength. Say this allows the like of Holt to hassle and harry with his energy and Jack to break things and win the ball back further up the park.

Lets pretend this sytem allowed Pena to play further forward and do what he does best in the final 3rd, drift into positions, play key passes and score goals and with him playing there there is a link to the strikers, it would also allow Morelos and Windass to pull defenders out of shape with their movement.

If we found such a formation and system surely we would stick with it and actually make this squad look decent?

We are down to the absolute bare bones. Jack, Dorrans, Wallace, Miller and Jack have all been unavailable due to injury and suspensions. Right now we have one striker and one natural wide player available who are good enough to play for Rangers. In fact we have one natural winger in the whole squad regardless of injuries. We have Nemane too but he's clearly not ready to play at this level and will return to Man City next week. We bought very badly in the summer and this is what we're left with.

To be honest who from last season would you have kept ? The problem was Warburton for what ever assembled a large squad of effectively squad players. He did not really improve from year one into year 2 in any position.

So we had to build a first team squad for around £4.5million spend. Let that sink in we tried to build a first team to compete with a team who just spent roughly the same on one player Ntcham who is effectively a squad player for them.

We replaced

Hill with Alves, Senderos and Kieran with Cardoso

Candelas for McKay, Dorrans for Crooks

Morelos for Waghorn, Herrera for Garner

Why was McKay allowed to get to the last year of his contract. He was one of very few talented players we had.

J. Rossiter - who?

J. Holt - has surprised me a little this season been pretty good recently, but had a poor game yesterday. Decent squad player.

A. Nemane - see dalcio.

A. Morelos - had a fantastic start to the season, but struggled a bit for form since, was poor yesterday, had two chances put on a plate for him. Has been a fantastic signing though.

R. Hardie - has an impressive record at youth level, hasn't shown much for the first team, would like to see him get a chance though.

Are you Tavernier’s Mrs, or did you stop watching our matches at the end of the season before last? He’s not Dani Alves...
Why so harsh on Bates?
Do you really think Candeias’ final ball is superb? As a for instance, against County at home the other week it was shocking time after time, bar a 10 yard easy pass to Morelos for his goal.
Windass may have improved but he certainly isn’t blameless.
The rest I’d more or less agree.

Goalie good shot stopper. Mccrorie could be a genuine talent. But save the in depth analysis. Can that squad come anywhere near Celtic? -that's the only question you need to ask. Don't bother replying. We all know the answer.

Goalie good shot stopper. Mccrorie could be a genuine talent. But save the in depth analysis. Can that squad come anywhere near Celtic? -that's the only question you need to ask. Don't bother replying. We all know the answer.
A fair chance Celtic U20s would turn us over if we’re honest. This is dire straits, and without a good guitar riff to make up for it.

Your assessment isn't too far off the mark.

In other words we are paying bang average players far too much cash.

I think Foderingham is a decent keeper, if we could get a couple of million for him I would take it and use the money to bring in a centre back who's a certain starter, and a centre mid player with a bit of physical presence, again someone who is a starter in the team. If we get anything for the likes of Herrera I would go for Cummings and pair him up with Morelos.
We need to let the likes of Dalcio and Nemane go.

Need to change the system to help what we have.Play 3 at the back ,4 in mid field 1/2upfront
Fill this system up with what we have

Another way of looking at it is if our squad were playing on their current form for, say, Partick Thistle, how many of them would we want to sign.
Probably 2, maybe 3?
Shocking set of affairs we have got ourselves into.

Remember @tazzabear and the likes jumped down my throat when I said the same during the summer. That we were only an injury away from being back playing Hodson, Holty etc

It's mad how hoodwinked Caixinha had some of our support in the summer

It is frustrating as f*ck because we could really have had a decent squad this season with a competent manager rebuilding in the summer with 8m. I said at the time as well we didn't need wholesale changes. Would much rather have added 3 or 4 quality players to last season's squad and supplement that with a couple of bosmans and loan deals.

I don’t think this squad is ever winning the title no matter who you stick in charge, but I remain convinced that a good manager will get far more out of it than we’ve seen to date.

A comfortable second simply shouldn’t be such a struggle.

A fair chance Celtic U20s would turn us over if we’re honest. This is dire straits, and without a good guitar riff to make up for it.
A mixture of very average to poor players of that there is no doubt anymore, I have been saying it for a while with the exception of young MCcrorie ( if he is not sold) none of these players will be in our team the next time we win the league. I wouldn't argue regarding probably even getting beat by there under 20,s but that scenario isnt going to happen, the next nightmare what could happen is one of them getting sent off very early doors and still going on to pump us easily, and please dont tell me that couldnt happen after watching them play for there new manager on Saturday!

Remember @tazzabear and the likes jumped down my throat when I said the same during the summer. That we were only an injury away from being back playing Hodson, Holty etc

It's mad how hoodwinked Caixinha had some of our support in the summer

Is that Caixinha's fault

This was the team he inherited (that made the most appearances the previous season),

Wes
Tav Kiernan Hill Wallace
McKay Holt Halliday
Waghorn Garner Miller

Backed up by Hodson, Wilson, Senderos, Rossiter, Niko, Crooks, Windass, Forrester

Who would you have built your team around ?

Do you think Pedro told the Board no it's ok I am happy with net £4.5million to challenge ?

We had Pedro because he accepted the terms, we have Murty just now because no one, not even the perpetual loser McInnes would accept anything similar.

A mixture of very average to poor players of that there is no doubt anymore, I have been saying it for a while with the exception of young MCcrorie ( if he is not sold) none of these players will be in our team the next time we win the league. I wouldn't argue regarding probably even getting beat by there under 20,s but that scenario isnt going to happen, the next nightmare what could happen is one of them getting sent off very early doors and still going on to pump us easily, and please dont tell me that couldnt happen after watching them play for there new manager on Saturday!
There is no chance I’d be telling you that couldn’t happen. This is the worst Rangers team I’ve ever seen in the top division, based on those currently fit and available for selection. I started watching us regularly in 1983. That says all you need to know.

I agree with most of your points but Holt should be a last resort and Windass should be chased hes not fit to wear our strip.

The sad thing is we are not even disagreeing with the OP apart from minor differences in opinion.
Shows we can all see our squad is utter shite

Harsh on Bruno Alves from the OP i feel. He's clearly not what he was but still brings us leadership and solidity at the back. We look far weaker defensively without him.

Probably agree with most of the OP, but definitely not Wes.
He may have had looked a wee bit suspect at one or two goals, but "awful howlers" are extremely rare. As with the Tav assessment, we would have to spend really big for a better replacement. Definitely not a priority replacement.

Morelos seems to be immune from FF criticism. The potential is certainly there, but he needs to get sharper. How many times have we seen him arrive a split second too late for crosses that were begging to be touched in? Twice yesterday and a good few times in previous games.

Bates is the one player I'm in total agreement with.

That makes for depressing reading. We're staffed with overpaid, under-achieving journeymen footballers who are bang average at best, being lead by an inexperienced, junior coach, appointed by a board of clueless, stuck-in-the-headlights directors trapped onboard a runaway train.

That makes for depressing reading. We're staffed with overpaid, under-achieving journeymen footballers who are bang average at best, being lead by an inexperienced, junior coach, appointed by a board of clueless, stuck-in-the-headlights directors trapped onboard a runaway train.
That could be the best summation I’ve read of our current plight.

Bates looks like he should still be playing at Raith. Imagine him against a good striker in the Europa League. He would get torn to shreds

None of them are fit to wear the Jersey. No passion. No Fight. No Belief.
Enjoy yer pay day pals. That's all your here at the Brox for? No?

Said last last week we are a bang average SPL team. Capable of getting a result against the sides in the top half but also just as likely to lose to those in the bottom half.

Dalcio,Cardoso and very possibly Alves away in January...but plenty of others to offload but that option may be sprung at the end of the season given thinness of squad.

Being brutally honest here but I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if I never clapped eyes on any of them again.every rangers team through the years always has a favourite player that you like, Stuart McCall,hateley,cuellar,Big dado etc but I’ve had it with the lot of this sqaud! Bunch of duds

J. Rossiter - who?

A. Nemane - see dalcio.

Very good run down mate. Not a lot to pick at. As a "team" we certainly can be doing better but I think background stuff will be affecting performances

Back