Honest assessment of our squad

Remember @tazzabear and the likes jumped down my throat when I said the same during the summer. That we were only an injury away from being back playing Hodson, Holty etc

It's mad how hoodwinked Caixinha had some of our support in the summer
You know mate, I seriously don’t remember this!
To be fair though, Hodson needed injuries to, at least, Wallace and Alves and Holt had not been a downscale when we’d beat the sheep twice.
The bigger surprise for me though, is that I’d have thought I would have agreed with you, given your post at face value.
I usually play these wee games where I look at the “replacement team” and I cannot see how I would have been comfortable with our replacements this season.
Although, I might have argued that our squad was stronger now than last season.

That makes for depressing reading. We're staffed with overpaid, under-achieving journeymen footballers who are bang average at best, being lead by an inexperienced, junior coach, appointed by a board of clueless, stuck-in-the-headlights directors trapped onboard a runaway train.

I am a glass half full type of guy.

After reading that, I have just realised not only is my glass empty, it has been ripped from grasp and smashed to smithereens. Also, a shard from that glass has sliced through my wrist and severed a main artery.

You know mate, I seriously don’t remember this!
To be fair though, Hodson needed injuries to, at least, Wallace and Alves and Holt had not been a downscale when we’d beat the sheep twice.
The bigger surprise for me though, is that I’d have thought I would have agreed with you, given your post at face value.
I usually play these wee games where I look at the “replacement team” and I cannot see how I would have been comfortable with our replacements this season.
Although, I might have argued that our squad was stronger now than last season.

Not even I could have seen this season unraveling the way it did, bud. I think we're all a bit horrified about what's went on recently

We can do better than wes, I’d stick with Wallace but agree with you on everybody else

We can do better than Wes.....Within our budget, after having spent money on all the other positions where we're worse off than at GK?

Absolutely no chance.

Apparently you consider Wallace a more capable LB than Wes is GK. I strongly disagree.

Are you Tavernier’s Mrs, or did you stop watching our matches at the end of the season before last? He’s not Dani Alves...
Why so harsh on Bates?
Do you really think Candeias’ final ball is superb? As a for instance, against County at home the other week it was shocking time after time, bar a 10 yard easy pass to Morelos for his goal.
Windass may have improved but he certainly isn’t blameless.
The rest I’d more or less agree.
I genuinely rate Tav, I did concede that he has some defensive frailties but it's all down to opinions, I don't think he is a poor defensively as others seem to.
I just think Bates is an extremely poor footballer, he may make a career for himself but he isn't anywhere near the standard we require.
Candeias maybe isn't totally consistent with his final ball but he has a better final ball than any winger we have had for a while.

you've gone into a little more detail than i would have

its shite
This to a tee.

EDIT: Just read through op's assessment and understand he knows nothing about football.. Jason Holt has good recently and decent squad player and Tav would cost a fortune to replace . Feck me, nearly spat my beer all over my laptop.. :D

Last edited:
I genuinely rate Tav, I did concede that he has some defensive frailties but it's all down to opinions, I don't think he is a poor defensively as others seem to.
I just think Bates is an extremely poor footballer, he may make a career for himself but he isn't anywhere near the standard we require.
Candeias maybe isn't totally consistent with his final ball but he has a better final ball than any winger we have had for a while.
Fair enough. I feel with Tav there’s just not enough end product for the amount of licence he gets to bomb forward. Candeias I have liked but feel he looks like he’s starting to lose interest.

We can do better than Wes.....Within our budget, after having spent money on all the other positions where we're worse off than at GK?

Absolutely no chance.

Apparently you consider Wallace a more capable LB than Wes is GK. I strongly disagree.
Entitled to your opinion mate

There is no chance I’d be telling you that couldn’t happen. This is the worst Rangers team I’ve ever seen in the top division, based on those currently fit and available for selection. I started watching us regularly in 1983. That says all you need to know.
Yer still just a pup son, I had seen the Gers well over 400 times before 1983 season!!

Haha. Not often I get told that these days! But you will remember how poor we were then I’m sure...
Yep I remember 4th, 4th 5th in the league when you started going won the league cup these seasons tho! then it all changed 86/87 season back to the good days.

Shite, however most players have their strengths. If we can find a system that plays to their stregnths we could be a decent team.

For instance say we tried a system with McCrorie sitting in and protecting the defence even when our full backs bombing forward as is their strength. Say this allows the like of Holt to hassle and harry with his energy and Jack to break things and win the ball back further up the park.

Lets pretend this sytem allowed Pena to play further forward and do what he does best in the final 3rd, drift into positions, play key passes and score goals and with him playing there there is a link to the strikers, it would also allow Morelos and Windass to pull defenders out of shape with their movement.

If we found such a formation and system surely we would stick with it and actually make this squad look decent?
Pena would have scored a couple against Killie,as we actually put in some very good crosses at times.Candeias and John in particular put in a couple of beauties that should have been goals.

Back