Honest Opinions how do think the Group will pan out?

When the draw was made I thought it was a bad group for us.
We were in pot 4 and got one of the better teams from each of the other pots.

Look at every other groups and it's like we got one of the worst from a qualification perspective.

At this stage we are still in it and it remains to be seen how things will go in other matches.

I think the best we could have hoped for at the beginning is that we go into Matchday 6 with a win being enough to take us through.

In the Europa League I think that even the bigger sides can be a bit of an unknown quantity. Are they going to be right up for it or are they not taking it so seriously?

I reckon over the next 3 matchdays you will see a few draws and everyone will go into Matchday 6 with a possibility of qualifying for the next round.

The Rhebel have done calculations for us and the scum to qualify using a “super computer”!

Steven Gerrard's men now have a 38 per cent chance to qualify ( 15 per cent to finish first, 23 per cent to finish runner-up) from their difficult group.

How it works
Before the numbers for the overall competition have been decided, a team's SPI (Soccer Power Index) needs to be calculated. This is basically the overall strength of a team.
The SPI is decided through a range of data analysed from statistics including expected goals for and against (offensive and defensive rating), competition and strength of league and how a club performs in the transfer market.

Surely we all know, we will miss out by a point, with another couple of key howler moments in the remaining games !

We will finish third. Which, if I'm honest, is what I expected on the day the group was drawn. Last night hasn't changed that though, result aside, it was a decent away performance at this level. You wouldn't think so given the hysteria it has generated though.

Not a dig but it seems to me your expectations or lack of are a get out rather than confronting the real failings we have, especially in defence. That last night should be the last straw as opposed to a shrug of the shoulders as if to ah well, we shouldn't really have expected any better.

Of course players will always make mistakes. IT always has been and always will be part of the game, but that's three pretty horrendous individual mistakes so far this year that have had A - the effect in January at Kilmarnock of nullifying the OF victory in the previous game and strangling at birth any chance of a real go at the title.

And B - last night, which effects, disastrous or not, we'll find out soon enough.

Last night, the team fecked up quite disastrously. I simply do not equate acknowledging that point as hysteria.

I don't think we will qualify last night's debacle in defence can happen again easily we have seen it so much in the past.
Can you imagine what our defence will be like in Porto and Feyenoord coming under actual pressure??

We didn't even come under much pressure last night from a very poor YB team - yet came away with nothing.

Not a dig but it seems to me your expectations or lack of are a get out rather than confronting the real failings we have, especially in defence. That last night should be the last straw as opposed to a shrug of the shoulders as if to ah well, we shouldn't really have expected any better.

Of course players will always make mistakes. IT always has been and always will be part of the game, but that's three pretty horrendous individual mistakes so far this year that have had A - the effect in January at Kilmarnock of nullifying the OF victory in the previous game and strangling at birth any chance of a real go at the title.

And B - last night, which effects, disastrous or not, we'll find out soon enough.

Last night, the team fecked up quite disastrously. I simply do not equate acknowledging that point as hysteria.

The team, and more specifically Tav and Greegs, did indeed f*ck up. We all were and are gutted by that. By hysteria, to be clear, I mean the plethora - deluge even - of posts and posters screaming we need to ditch half the team as a consequence. Like me, you've been around a while. We've both seen far, far better players than Tav or Greegs make horrendous errors that have, at times, proved catastrophic. Criticism, ideally constructive, is to be welcomed. What we have seen is an overload of destructive, foot-stamping, toys out the pram nonsense. Not from your good self, as far as I can recall (this time;)), but from a worryingly large number of others.

Last edited:
I think we will qualify. Maybe just being overly positive. Last night was a kick in the stones, just like spartak away last year. I'm hopeful that we'll pick up a few points on the road and get 4 points from Ibrox. 9 points I reckon we will finish on.

It's a pity we don't play YBs at home next so they don't strengthen by getting their stars that were injured last night back.

They will be stronger when we play them at home.

That worries me. A point last night would have really bolstered our chances as it would have rendered YBs chances as slim.

Shame. :(

I've no confidence in qualifying merely hope. If Tav wasn't a bombscare last night I'd likely have changed opinion. It appears Tav and Goldson are too prone to errors in big games, this season and last. I just wish they'd bloody launch it instead of trying to play football/footwork (neither can).

We will beat yb comfortably in the final game, we are also very capable of beating Porto who are no great shakes! all teams will win their home games and will have 9 points each in my opinion so it will go to head to head/goal difference

I genuinely think we can get 2nd spot in the group. Win our two home games and who knows we might get something at Porto and also at Feyenoord.

It's far from over and the fact we're all level at the moment means It's game on. Keep positive fellow Bears and we might just do this.

If I was forced to predict I would say;

Porto 3-1 Gers
Young Boys 1-1 Feyenoord

Gers 1-1 Porto
Feyenoord 2-1 Young Boys

Feyenoord 2-1 Gers
Young Boys 1-2 Porto

Gers 2-0 Young Boys
Porto 1-0 Feyenoord

Group Table;

Porto 13
Feyenoord 10
Rangers 7
Young Boys 4

After managing to win at home to Porto, Feyenoord are well placed to pick up maximum points at home. We are probably going to need to win one of the games V Porto, if we do that then we are right back in it with a great chance. A massive night at Ibrox v Porto and we have a chance.

I think for us it’s all about trying to get to that last game at home to Young Boys knowing that a win gives us a good chance of qualifying (If Porto Win at home to Feyenoord also)

I personally don’t think we will qualify, desperately hope I’m wrong and we do it.

Prefer to be wrong. Think we will win one more game, ending on six points and go out. Probably beat Young Boys. Last night was, I think, a hammer blow.

Truthfully, I think we blew our chances last night.

I hate saying that, but I’ve seen this Rangers movie too often before. You have to win your home games and ruthlessly capitalise on any chances of away points to get out of the groups in any european competition.

I’m sorry to say it, but I just can’t see us getting to the knock out stages now. Of course, we still have a lot to play for, but I truthfully think last night will prove costly. Not defeatist. Just being realistic.

It's all to play for. Just like the recent OF result I would rather have the mare early and have a chance to rectify it....learn to fail or fail to learn...mon the teddys!

We have potentially 4 more points to come.
Not a hope in hell we go to Holland or Portugal and win. If we are lucky we could get a point from Porto at Ibrox and then close with a win when the group is decided already in December against Young Boys.

2 wins and a draw from remaining games would probably be enough...i can't see it but hope to be proved wrong

Nine points and qualification.

Porto home
Young Boys home
Feyenord away

All wins.

What I have said will have zero impact on the results, but I believe we can pick up that run of results.

I think the Porto result last night was just as bad for us as our own. Was hoping Porto would clean sweep the other two and we could sneak through with 7 points. We need a result in Holland now

Porto will go through and the game yesterday was to decide who is in the drivers seat for the 2nd spot, with the injuries they're dealing with it was the perfect time to keep a gap between us and them and we fucked it through naivety.

Hard to see us getting 3 points in a back to back against a team that was in the last 8 of the Champions League the previous 2 seasons so unless Feyenoord and Young Boys draw their back to backs i reckon that back to back will tell us who were battling for 3rd in the group. If we're able to beat Porto once maybe the outlook wont be so negative as long as one of YB/FN dont win both but i just dont see us doing that, the Feyenoord game XG was heavily favoring Porto and that suggest it was just bad luck instead of something that happen more than the once in the group

Great chance to go through good enough to win both home games for me, but we always make it hard for ourselves.

Don't think we will qualify but points mean increased co-efficient and dosh so we must pick up as many as we can regardless of our qualification prospects. Every game counts.

Win our home games and a draw away we’ll go through. I can’t see Porto or young boys beating us at home. We absolutely bartered Feyenoord who arguably Were reported second best team in the group which we won convincingly and they were lucky it was only 1. If anyone read their players statements after the game will realise why our fans need to turn up.
Even there vice captain admitted they couldn’t deal with the atmosphere, that’s what should get us up for every game.
We’re the 12th man now prove it. Our away fans show it all the time, now it’s the home support Time to prove it

I reckon we'll win away in Porto but drop points at Ibrox in a game just like last night. There was a thread not long about trusting this Rangers side. Right now, I don't.
You reckon we’ll get 4 points including an away win to Porto yet you still don’t trust the side?!!!

I'm thinking win both remaining home games qualify via a better head to head than someone

Thoughts?
We need to take points from the next head to head against Porto and the number of points we take will then provide more of an indication of where we end up. The group is wide open, if we can beat Porto and YB at Ibrox we are still in the mix. However, the fact we are back in the Europe League and competing at this level is a huge step forward and no one should forget this.

We'll probably end up with five points. A win over Young Boys at home, and a draw in the home tie with Porto. If we cant take anything from Young Boys in Bern, I cant see us taking anything in Rotterdam or Oporto.

Feyenoord will be YBB in both legs, and Porto will do the same, therefore Porto & Feyenoord will qualify.

We'll probably end up with five points. A win over Young Boys at home, and a draw in the home tie with Porto. If we cant take anything from Young Boys in Bern, I cant see us taking anything in Rotterdam or Oporto.

Feyenoord will be YBB in both legs, and Porto will do the same, therefore Porto & Feyenoord will qualify.
You think we'll end up with 5 points from 2 wins and a draw?

We should be awarded the cup and some sort of mathematics Nobel prize if we manage that feat that defies any sort of logic.

Back