Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

Gerrard now has to prove himself as a manager...leave the player and status he accumulated behind. He’s undoubtedly improvised is but still has a distance to go tactically. He’s had the good favour of the support for so long now without question, but he didn’t seem to have answers since Dubai. Forget trimming squads to bare minimums...we need numbers, strength, depth, quality and longevity for this coming vital season. I’m not convinced with all these project players that have been brought in to date. We need proven winners/leaders on the pitch. First should be the removal of Tavernier as captain. You are no leader of men if you can write an article saying we can’t take the pressure...if that’s to fans, what does he say to motivate the players? Need a new CB to partner Helander, rock solid tackler DM to protect defence. New RW that will carry the ball (i’d even use Tavernier into this position as his defensive qualities don’t exist). New strikers. Probably 5-8 players in total. We need steel, we need players who know this league, we need added skill and flair. Back in our nine in a row days we had a team of grafters and marque that stood out from them. The past is the past but there’s still lessons that can be learned from it. We need a model to win. I really hope that yesterday serves as the motivation we need to get there.

So...on the park, yes, he's been found wanting for 6 games after the break( or the players have). The last 2 games v them he has shown he's got their number.
Off the park-- no comparison, he's miles ahead of any manager since Walter. The club, thanks to the board and SG have improved immesurably.
However I agree if this time next year there are no trophies it's time for a change.
The vast majority of us know we are nearly there but every now and then someone comes out the woodwork with attention seeking threads.

Nothing to do with the OF or European games. I actually think it sounds pathetic to say, but we can perform in them because we’re not favourites.

If ever there was a time when i find it difficult, sometimes impossible, to get angry with the players and manager it is now. Its incredible how much corruption they are fighting its everywhere and it must effect the dressing room, belief, morale, performances.

Saying that it does not stop us playing 4-4-2 which could/would make things a bit easier.

If its 3 years without a trophy, which most top refs and people running the game will be motivated to make sure of, i dont think Gerrard will stay anyway. Not sure where we go next right enough.

That'll depend on how we did in the SC, Europe, how the head to head games went, how many points were between us and how the team were actually playing.

Only a lunatic could answer your question without more info.
So if we beat celtic 3 times win a league cup get into the europa group stages but celtic win the league he stays sorry.. but i just about can handle them the now but if they win the title next season it wl be 100x worse

I simply can't believe we're in a position where a guy who hasn't won anything yet as a manager and is two years into his managerial career has been tasked with the job of stopping Celtic win 10 in a row.

It's an absolute shit set of affairs.

I’ve spoke about fans needing to adjust expectations since Gerrard came in. I wonder if the reality is hitting home for some.

So if we beat celtic 3 times win a league cup get into the europa group stages but celtic win the league he stays sorry.. but i just about can handle them the now but if they win the title next season it wl be 100x worse

How can you expect Gerrard - or any manager we could realistically attract - to come in and win the league currently?

I simply can't believe we're in a position where a guy who hasn't won anything yet as a manager and is two years into his managerial career has been tasked with the job of stopping Celtic win 10 in a row.

£100m and Pep would have struggled to combat Kevin Clancy on a regular basis.

Rewatch that OF game at NY - incredible that we managed to win that game.

oh wise one, who should we get to replace him if he doesn't win silverware, and how long do we give his replacement.

I think if he wins nothing he has to go

if he can deliver a cup and there’s a title race post split and we lose it on the last day then he will stay. But he must deliver at least a cup . But the league has to be the goal . They will be spewing if they don’t get 10

The magic of him being Steven Gerrard managing us has worn off and he definitely needs silverware now.

We need to come out the traps flying next season and any sign of a post-winter break slump (again) and he needs to go.

Wouldn’t sack him for not winning the league, needs to challenge and show progress and needs to win one of the cups.

What would you say is progress? Genuine question.
In Europe I would say he has progressed as the league and cups well the cups the performance against hearts was terrible . We were clearly robed in the league cup final.
The league is the strange one we seem to be okay up until the split then two seasons in a row we fall to pieces. That will need to be sorted out.

oh wise one, who should we get to replace him if he doesn't win silverware, and how long do we give his replacement.

Never really seen the sense in this brainless argument.

If a better manager becomes available, we should go for them. Always strive for improvement, doesn’t matter if the manager is called Steven Gerrard or not.

We have to come out the blocks fast. I genuinely believe the league cup is hugely significant. If we are to win the league winning the cup would be a huge phycological boost.

Bar a catastrophe of a season, the board will not sack Gerrard. He’s got the second biggest budget in the league and was on course to finish second. He was likely targeted with getting is to the group stage of the EL and greatly exceeded that. Add in that he has turned multiple players into multi-million pound assets. From the board’s perspective - he is doing a good job.

That said, I think SG would admit himself though that a third straight season without a trophy would rightly be considered unacceptable by our support.

Honeymoon is well over, this horrible situation has given Gerrard & the players a chance as up till the football stopped him & the players were going nowhere fast & back the way even quicker he needs a flyer next season whenever that may be or itll be another project gone wrong

The team certainly cant be allowed to fold after the winter break like they have the past 2 seasons. I know some results were referee influenced which distorts the points difference.

I fully realise that.But I also see the constant excuses made for him by many on here.Would they make the same excuses if he wasn't who he is?

If he wasn't who he was the commercial/financial side of the club would be far worse off and we'd be significantly less attractive a proposition to new signings.

You might not to like hear it, but Gerrard has effectively rid us of Ashley!

The success he has brought in europe and his stature globally has increased our stock so significantly commercially that Ashley can't justify matching castore to hold a grudge.

Realisty: no Gerrard and without his European showings, Ashley would still have us over a barrel with no other retail partners wanting to get involved in the excrement maelstrom.

Gerrard is bringing us where we need to be. It's just a little slower than some of us are desperate for it to be. But Gerrard will bring success a lot faster than a manager coming in to replace him.

Stop restarting the game when it's 70% loaded! Keep restarting, and you'll never get there! The games not crashed. We can clearly see its making progress. Stop being a child and be patient!

Bar a catastrophe of a season, the board will not sack Gerrard. He’s got the second biggest budget in the league and was on course to finish second. He was likely targeted with getting is to the group stage of the EL and greatly exceeded that. Add in that he has turned multiple players into multi-million pound assets. From the board’s perspective - he is doing a good job.

That said, I think SG would admit himself though that a third straight season without a trophy would rightly be considered unacceptable by our support.
Fair enough assessment mate.

If he wasn't who he was the commercial/financial side of the club would be far worse off and we'd be significantly less attractive a proposition to new signings.

You might not to like hear it, but Gerrard has effectively rid us of Ashley!

The success he has brought in europe and his stature globally has increased our stock so significantly commercially that Ashley can't justify matching castore to hold a grudge.

Realisty: no Gerrard and without his European showings, Ashley would still have us over a barrel with no other retail partners wanting to get involved in the excrement maelstrom.

Gerrard is bringing us where we need to be. It's just a little slower than some of us are desperate for it to be. But Gerrard will bring success a lot faster than a manager coming in to replace him.

Stop restarting the game when it's 70% loaded! Keep restarting, and you'll never get there! The games not crashed. We can clearly see its making progress. Stop being a child and be patient!
Quick question mate if we have another trophyless season will you still go on about being patient.

The amount of posters on here who are impatient for success need to remember where we have been and what we are currently up against. We have slowly steadied the club onto a more stable footing. Yes, Gerrard has made mistakes and the players need to be more consistent, but the constant demands, fuelled by all or nothing thinking, needs to end.

With stability, we can build on what we have. Everyone needs to stop comparing our team with separate entity fc, as the situations are different. Their time will end soon, and we will win trophies again. Patience is required though.

A lot of my time following Rangers we've had fans saying we need to give managers time and unless they've hit the ground running in terms of trophies we never have.
Gerrard going into his 3rd season without a trophy in Rangers and Scottish football terms has been given that time.
I don't think it's even controversial to say he shouldn't be given a 4th season if he doesn't do the damage next season.But apparently it is to some.

perspective required.

what if Celtc win every single game next season against the diddy teams, and we split the points with them over the 4 games - they get a record points total and win the league because we happen to draw 1 game and win the rest.

we lose the league by 2 points, with over 100 points on the board

do you still think he would deserve sacked?

I know that is highly unlikely but it could happen

look at Liverpool and Man City last season (2018-19)

both had incredible seasons yet only one could win the league

Quite hypothetical there.

It's the gaffers job to put together a team that can consistently beat the rest of the league.

The reason we were 13 points behind with a game to play, wasn't because we couldn't beat them; we were 1 win, 1 loss against them. It was down to our inability to consistently beat teams that we have a huge budget advantage over.

The truth is we've splurged a good bit of that budget on players that haven't contributed to our challenge, both in 18/19 and 19/20. That falls on the gaffer.

His exploits in Europe has seen him gain some good will and faith from the support but that won't extend beyond 3 years without a title. He needs to be pragmatic and find a way to consistently win, at all costs - even if that means sacrificing some of the ideals he holds on how football should be played.

£100m and Pep would have struggled to combat Kevin Clancy on a regular basis.

Rewatch that OF game at NY - incredible that we managed to win that game.

So - and this question isn't rhetorical - what do we do about something over which we have no control? Should Gerrard just leave, we up sticks and move to play in that new Junior League? What's your answer?

I'll give you a clue: you've already said it. Win.

He’s certainly got his work cut out no question about it.

First task is we absolutely have to qualify for the Europa league as that’s vital financially.

Secondly he needs to win the league cup. We absolutely have the break the cycle of them winning domestic cup competitions and it will boost confidence in the 2nd half of the season.

Lastly we need to not completely fall apart in the second half of the season that’s twice now, if it happens a third time something is seriously wrong.

Here's a novel idea....why dont we all get behind the manager and the team and support them rather than looking into crystal balls and predicting might or might not happen.
There is always pressure as a Rangers manager or player, instead of adding to that lets try and relieve it a bit.
We are Rangers supporters...the clues in the name...support!

The team that claim unfinished title races can’t touch us
We need more goals from midfield and an ability to break down teams who only want to defend
I think that he will address this but we have to stop them WINNING their 9 th

He’s certainly got his work cut out no question about it.

First task is we absolutely have to qualify for the Europa league as that’s vital financially.

Secondly he needs to win the league cup. We absolutely have the break the cycle of them winning domestic cup competitions and it will boost confidence in the 2nd half of the season.

Lastly we need to not completely fall apart in the second half of the season that’s twice now if it happens a third time something is serious wrong.

Sure - we need to be an order of magnitude better to cope.

Everyone can see we are making solid progress - the complaints should be about the pace of that progress.

I'd say its even more subtle - we need consistency - we cant afford 6 duff weeks out of a 36 week season.

I would tell Gerrard he needs a experienced assistant Manager or Coach that knows Scottish Football like Souness done with Smith it's time for the manager to be ruthless and sack some of his coaching staff. He needs to use different formations and play 2 up at Ibrox and drop his favourites player when off form. Give our youngsters a chance before Liverpool on loan reserve players. He needs a strong Captain to motivate his team mates. For me this is Gerrard's last throw of the Dice win nothing again and he's out the door.

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.
It's now time to deliver or we move on to someone else imo.
How can they be going for 10 air when they haven,t won 9.

Folk may call you a panty wetter OP, but time after time the panty wetters always seem to be correct. :( A massive season and task lies ahead of us now and we must be ready to give everything to topple these cu.nts.

In get where your coming from mate .but I really don,t see the league progree
Sure - we need to be an order of magnitude better to cope.

Everyone can see we are making solid progress - the complaints should be about the pace of that progress.

I'd say its even more subtle - we need consistency - we cant afford 6 duff weeks out of a 36 week season.
I get where your coming from mate .but I really don,t see the league progress part as we have collapsed two seasons in a trot in the second half of the season.

And mine.

No chance I'm wanting our manager sacked if there's been genuine progress and silverware won.

10 doesn't bear thinking about, but if our team has progressed, then sacking the manager sets us back again.
Agree we can't carry on continually changing the management need to have some stability.

A lot of my time following Rangers we've had fans saying we need to give managers time and unless they've hit the ground running in terms of trophies we never have.
Gerrard going into his 3rd season without a trophy in Rangers and Scottish football terms has been given that time.
I don't think it's even controversial to say he shouldn't be given a 4th season if he doesn't do the damage next season.But apparently it is to some.

Here's the thing.

Two years ago the Rangers support were unanimous in their demand for a manager with experience.

Gerrard was linked, the mentality changed, and we then spent all of summer convincing ourselves that the characteristics that we previously thought were important actually didn't matter anymore.

How many times did we hear guys compare him to Zidane or Pep and think that just because he'd won the Champions' League we'd win the league at a canter?

The elephant in the room is that we have continued to appoint managers whose lack of managerial experience creates instability in the first place, though! You don't keep a guy in a job who's not doing well just because it creates stability. It creates anything but that!

Apparently you can if he’s a well-known global name.

And mine.

No chance I'm wanting our manager sacked if there's been genuine progress and silverware won.

10 doesn't bear thinking about, but if our team has progressed, then sacking the manager sets us back again.

Two collapses in consecutive seasons. Same mistakes being made. If that happens a third time around there is not a chance Gerrard should be kept on.

He's yet to put up a title challenge.

A pandemic won't cover up the absolute garbage we endured since the 29th December and not should it.

Europe has been more than any one could have dreamed off. He's been rightfully praised for that. Domestic football is our bread and butter and it's been far from good enough.

If he’s still making the same mistakes come Christmas, he needs to go.

Unlike many, I don’t really care that his name is Steven Gerrard. If he’s not learning, we’re not improving.

If he finally cracks it then brilliant, happy days - we’d finally be onto a winner and with a big name boss. If it’s the same mistakes with the same system and the same failed players again? Well, it’s going to be brutal seeing all the excuses coming out for why it’s anyone fault but his. I’ve even seen some suggest he carry on if he goes a third season trophyless, (yes really! a luxury I doubt even Walter would get if you cast your mind back to the new year OF defeat in 2009 when it was all “times up Walter”) so it’s evident that some would rather bask in his image and his aura for another few years and worry about trophies and success later. Proper small time stuff.

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.
It's now time to deliver or we move on to someone else imo.
A Rangers manager has never inherited such a shambles of a club though so you cant compare him having "3 shots" to previous managers coming in.

Back