Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

55 and counting

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.
It's now time to deliver or we move on to someone else imo.

It's worth repeating that two years into the job we need to stop comparing Gerrard's progress against the reigns of Warburton, Pedro and Murty.

It's now time to start comparing Gerrard against Gerrard.

He's managed enough games and signed enough players for him to be judged against how he is getting on, not someone who left the post four years ago.

I doubt in the year they will be going for 10 in a row anyone thinks any individual at the club will be allowed a honeymoon.

It’s a huge year for everyone involved with Rangers and the manager is no different.

Pressed send before I meant to. Expanded it now, didn't mean it to sound that cheeky!
Didn't take it as cheeky.Why you think it's wrong?Can tell you right now if he doesn't win it next season the vast vast majority of the support will not stand for a Rangers manager going into his 4th season without a title quite rightly imo.

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.

He certainly needs to call out referees more strongly. We were cheated on numerous occasions last year.

No coincidence that we performed far better in Europe - the dice weren't loaded.

Nope,he’ll go when he’s ready, and that won’t be next year

I really fear for next year, and its not of our own doing. I feel the gaffer needs to deliver some silverware but im not sure next year is the stick to beat him with, during the current climate which will certainly still be with us next season.

I don't think the OP really realises what Stevie is up against. The never ending media campaign to have our best striker banned, for a start. Even Klopp in the Ibrox dugout would face the same ref corruption.
I fully realise that.But I also see the constant excuses made for him by many on here.Would they make the same excuses if he wasn't who he is?

Didn't take it as cheeky.Why you think it's wrong?Can tell you right now if he doesn't win it next season the vast vast majority of the support will not stand for a Rangers manager going into his 4th season without a title quite rightly imo.

Hypothetical obviously, but if we lose the title on goal difference on the final day of the season, it would be ridiculous to want him gone.

It's about making progress. It looked like we were this season, then it all went to shit again which was alarming. If that was to happen again next season then I'll agree with you.

And mine.

No chance I'm wanting our manager sacked if there's been genuine progress and silverware won.

10 doesn't bear thinking about, but if our team has progressed, then sacking the manager sets us back again.

I genuinely don’t see any way he would survive a third straight title loss, especially when you add in the fact it would be their tenth on the trot.

The hysteria will be off the chart next season, and I just don’t see the support backing any manager in that position regardless of anything else.

He needs to be far more flexible, I’m 100% behind him though, if he can get some better quality this summer and actually come with a tactical plan to counter opposition as games develop then we won’t be far away. 9.75 in a row would mean nothing to me other than disappointment at not winning it once again and if we improve enough to see that sticking with him next summer is a better option than starting again with someone else than I’ll decide that at the time.

So if we win
And mine.

No chance I'm wanting our manager sacked if there's been genuine progress and silverware won.

10 doesn't bear thinking about, but if our team has progressed, then sacking the manager sets us back again.
So if he wins the league cup finishes 2nd and celtic win 10 you think gerrard should stay?

We need to put Europe on the back burner next season and treat the league as our priority.also need to change our style of play against the teams that sit in .two up top and be more direct put pressure on other teams back fours and let them make mistakes. Instead of playing in front of them most of the game.

This break might have done Stevie G some good. We were flying pre the winter break, then lost it big style. It was worrying his inability to change things. Couple of things; over reliance on Alfie who's form dropped and we couldn't win ugly.

Playing behind closed doors may suit some of our team, and that is not a good thing for a Ger.

Also, we need to play 2 up front every game in Scotland - 2 actual strikers! That was the big change that mhob made after the winter break, and there is no excuse for us not doing it.

I think he’s probably lucky the shut down has happened. Domestically, since January they were abysmal.

I agree with this.

Regardless of what your opinion is, there’s still a large swathe of fans star struck by the name. The reality is that the same mistakes were made two years on the bounce at exactly the same time.

The annual February-March collapse is a massive issue. The fact it’s now happened twice means it is a big thing for the players and manager. Whether it’s tactical or whether it’s mental who knows, but the buck stops with Gerrard.

Add into that the marriage he has to 4-3-3, the continual playing of underperformers, criticising and dropping some players for mistakes but not others and some quite concerning post match interviews - it’s not overly promising for me.

Seems a smart lad.

Hopefully taken this break to get their heads together and learn some valuable lessons.

Post January was shambolic on the whole. We need a change up/alternate option in a lot of games. The rigidity of the team is Warburton like at times.

In Europe - we’ve been great. It’s keeping the lights on at Ibrox just now, I’d guess.

Domestically, we are closing, but it needs to be better.

The squad is bloated, yet weak. It’s lacking alternatives to our current style. We lack energy and bite in the middle of the park.

Next year is massive - praying we get it right.

And mine.

This would cause a bit of an existential crisis for the fans, I’m not sure they have it in them to reconsider a readjustment of expectations.

So if we win

So if he wins the league cup finishes 2nd and celtic win 10 you think gerrard should stay?

That'll depend on how we did in the SC, Europe, how the head to head games went, how many points were between us and how the team were actually playing.

Only a lunatic could answer your question without more info.

perspective required.

what if Celtc win every single game next season against the diddy teams, and we split the points with them over the 4 games - they get a record points total and win the league because we happen to draw 1 game and win the rest.

we lose the league by 2 points, with over 100 points on the board

do you still think he would deserve sacked?

I know that is highly unlikely but it could happen

look at Liverpool and Man City last season (2018-19)

both had incredible seasons yet only one could win the league

So...on the park, yes, he's been found wanting for 6 games after the break( or the players have). The last 2 games v them he has shown he's got their number.
Off the park-- no comparison, he's miles ahead of any manager since Walter. The club, thanks to the board and SG have improved immesurably.
However I agree if this time next year there are no trophies it's time for a change.
The vast majority of us know we are nearly there but every now and then someone comes out the woodwork with attention seeking threads.

I simply can't believe we're in a position where a guy who hasn't won anything yet as a manager and is two years into his managerial career has been tasked with the job of stopping Celtic win 10 in a row.

It's an absolute shit set of affairs.

Back