Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

And who's improved our profile, infrastructure and squad to make us a more attractive proposition to other managers? Would that be the guy who's currently in place but others are saying is a diddy and has done a sh*te job?

People can't have it both ways.
Agreed on that. But he has to start winning things in the new season. He has been backed fairly well to date.

And who's improved our profile, infrastructure and squad to make us a more attractive proposition to other managers? Would that be the guy who's currently in place but others are saying is a diddy and has done a sh*te job?

It’s not just Gerrard though, I’d stress to point out.

We now have a lot of talent behind the scenes, eventually.

We’ve improved, on and off the park, and Gerrard has played a big part in that - it’s been far from a shite job - but, there obviously needs to be continued improvement next season.

We improved under Warburton too, but there came a point where that progress felt like it had gone as far as it could.

We can’t tolerate a third post Xmas collapse for a start, and he does need to win at least one cup if the title is still just too far of a stretch.

In short nobody can really expect to be sitting here next summer if we’ve finished a distant second yet again without any silverware in the trophy cabinet arguing that it’s still too early to talk about replacing him and not expect to be met with considerable opposition.

Even Steven Gerrard will understand that three trophyless seasons at a club like ours is not acceptable

We’ve improved, on and off the park, and Gerrard has played a big part in that - it’s been far from a shite job - but, there obviously needs to be continued improvement next season.

We improved under Warburton too, but there came a point where that progress felt like it had gone as far as it could.

We can’t tolerate a third post Xmas collapse for a start, and he does need to win at least one cup if the title is still just too far of a stretch.

In short nobody can really expect to be sitting here next summer if we’ve finished a distant second yet again without any silverware in the trophy cabinet arguing that it’s still too early to talk about replacing him and not expect to be met with considerable opposition.

Even Steven Gerrard will understand that three trophyless seasons at a club like ours is not acceptable

Show me someone who has said we don't need to win something next season?

I think we all agree he will be away if we don't win the title.

Did I think when Gerrard was first appointed we’d have at least won a trophy by now? Yes.
Did I think we’d have put up a title challenge by now? Yes.
Did I expect to do as well as we’ve done in Europe? No.
The fact is, whilst clearly improving us, he’s failed domestically which is completely unacceptable. Now, I wasn’t expecting him to win the league as it was completely unrealistic to expect him to come in within two seasons and win the league but the way we’ve collapsed after January two years in a row is sickening.

But I believe he at least deserves one more chance at winning something, he has undeniably improved us to a point that we’ve regained our pride and are well respected in continental competition and has brought in circa £30m from that will help whatever manager it is finally win the league. I have my doubts if he’s the man to win us the league but he at least deserves one more season.

There are some on this thread, not necessarily yourself, who have already begun to get the excuses in early for his failing to do so next season - long term projects, five year contract, remember Alex Ferguson and all that jazz.

Nobody wants to see him leave, everybody wants him to be a success, but there needs to be an acceptance of the harsh reality involved in taking on a job like the manager of Rangers Football Club.

I think a big part of the anxiety is down to how we were when the season ended.

We were in what felt like freefall domestically with Gerrard looking clueless as to how to stop it.

That’s the final memory most of us have still imprinted on the inside of our eyelids and it’s probably going to take a really impressive start to next season to displace it.

Genuinely one of the worst posts I’ve ever seen on here. The desperation to put Gerrard on a pedestal is truly pathetic.

You’re defending Gerrard by saying it’s better to come second and do well in Europe - sorry, what the %^*& are you talking about?

Honestly beyond belief. A grown man star struck by Steven Gerrard, I’m actually laughing at this.
It’s mind boggling mate. Does he not realise on top of all the pleasure of winning the league we also get access to a competition that could potentially earn us £20m.

Believe me I don’t need to try and avoid your question.

Try and engage your brain, and if you can’t see what the implications for a manager who would have been in charge for three seasons and not won the league ultimately ending in ten in a row for them, versus your made up scenario of a manager coming in to pick up the pieces with a few months left and losing the league and ten in a row then I’m not even interested in engaging with you.

If you want to debate like an adult that’s fine, but throwing in stupid little scenarios like you have is waste of both our time.

For what it’s worth I of course hope he succeeds. Though anyone who doesn’t think he won’t be under serious pressure if they win the league again next year is on another planet, and clearly weren’t at Ibrox that night against Hamilton or the cup game at Tynecastle.
I replied to a post, at this point I'm assuming it was yours since you jumped on to ask what I was talking about. But I can't really be arsed going back to check.

I replied to a post that said, "Especially with it being their 10th in a row, like that was a tipping point as to why Gerrard should go.
That's absurd.
1-7 have nothing to do with Gerrard so you'd need to be a bit special to have it as a tipping point between giving him another year or not.

I can see the boardroom conversation now.

DP "He lost the league by a point, that's progres, but not good enough."
SR "But he won the cups, surely it maybe worth another season"
DP "interesting point, maybe we should give him another year"
SR "Aye, 1 more year, a last chance, we were 1 win from a treble"
DP "Actually, naw, wait a fucking minute, Pedro got laughed at in a car park, Murty was a kids coach out of his depth, Warburton thought it was all a kick about for fun round his local park, we were out the league 4 seasons and as for Craig Whyte and the shit show in 2012, I won't even go there, so Gerrard can pack his fucking bags tonight."

Sensible.
You should be given a seat on the board.

See doing that jokey ned speak?

It doesn't give your point any legitimacy.

The best bit about trying to be condescending on that particular topic, is that the “we do better in Europe because there’s less expectancy” talk came directly from one of our key players, so it’s hardly something you can mock or deny when it’s come straight from the horses mouth.

But hey, these are the guys who were telling us we were on our way under Murty (he was “learning his trade” with Windass (future premier league player I was told) spearheading the attack, is I’ll need to bow to their superior knowledge :D

Competing against the bheggars and not getting smashed 5-0 is seen as some sort of achievement. People are still stuck in the Caixinha and Warburton days even although it's 2020 and Gerrard is heading into his third season at the helm. That's small club mentality. Standards have slipped, greatly. There are limited expectations within a large number of our support. They will bang on about how we are the best team in Scotland, have the better players, are more than a match for the bheggars yet mention why we've not put up a league fight and won a trophy and they trout out; but we are an improvement on three/four years ago.

We moan about teams raising their game against us then dropping points in the lesser games. That's what we are doing.

In one off games we are a match for the bheggars. Over the course of a season we aren't - still a good bit away. We still regularly cannot beat the dross; Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Hearts as an example and any time we have an opportunity to apply pressure or open up a lead, we bottle it.
There’s far too many people in our support who are either too inexperienced to know who we are or are starting to forget who we are. Standards have gone out the window in the past few years and, as you’ve said, avoiding 5-0 skuddings are seen as a bit of progress.

I find it difficult to see us pretend we are a big club when we don’t behave like it at times.

There’s absolutely no denying that players find it easier to perform in Europe because there’s less expectation.

The captain admitted that.

The old firm games add further weight to it, as if first team players actually telling you in plain English wasn’t enough already. We go and play Celtic off the park then look like a team of frightened weans against Kilmarnock and St Johnstone.

But to be fair DB’s defence for the first season collapse was “there’s not much between us and Celtic if you take away the points difference”. And yes that actually happened. I think some folk see beating them as the ultimate sign of progress and forget that it’s the league table that really dictates how good you are.

He might as well pack his bags now, at the risk of repeating myself, as long as the SFA referees and the SPFL board remain unchanged, Pep Guardiola and a £50m budget wont win the league.

Can I ask a serious question to those throwing a hissy fit at bears who aren’t satisfied with with the current domestic performance and believe replacement coaching staff should be sought if we crumble and fall again next season?

First off, more or less everyone who has stated that they’re not happy with the current level of domestic performance has clearly acknowledged (in several threads going back months no less!) that Gerrard has made great progress in terms of cleaning the rubble he inherited and progressing us well beyond the lowly and depressing levels of the previous 3 coaches. I myself have also said that the win at the piggery and the Europeans results were proud moments and moments we hadn’t had in a long long time and that Gerrard deserved immense credit for these.

So why, when we state domestic performance isn’t good enough and there’s been little to no domestic progress from last season, do you need to peddle this complete lie that myself and likeminded individuals are calling/or have called Gerrard a diddy whose made no progress? Is it not possible to have the discussion without making shite up?

I replied to a post, at this point I'm assuming it was yours since you jumped on to ask what I was talking about. But I can't really be arsed going back to check.

I replied to a post that said, "Especially with it being their 10th in a row, like that was a tipping point as to why Gerrard should go.
That's absurd.
1-7 have nothing to do with Gerrard so you'd need to be a bit special to have it as a tipping point between giving him another year or not.

I can see the boardroom conversation now.

DP "He lost the league by a point, that's progres, but not good enough."
SR "But he won the cups, surely it maybe worth another season"
DP "interesting point, maybe we should give him another year"
SR "Aye, 1 more year, a last chance, we were 1 win from a treble"
DP "Actually, naw, wait a fucking minute, Pedro got laughed at in a car park, Murty was a kids coach out of his depth, Warburton thought it was all a kick about for fun round his local park, we were out the league 4 seasons and as for Craig Whyte and the shit show in 2012, I won't even go there, so Gerrard can pack his fucking bags tonight."

Sensible.
You should be given a seat on the board.

:)) Shop robberies and imaginary board conversations all in one day. I would say stick me on ignore, but the insanity is keeping me amused.

Let me break it down slowly for you. Do you think, and we’re just looking at Gerrard’s reign here that after three years in charge and If he hasn’t won the league he would be under intense pressure? Simple question yes or no?

If you don’t I just can’t agree, and even if he won a cup, the league is so important to so many supporters next year because it means stopping their ten I think he would be gone possibly even by his own choice.

Equally the point about them going for their tenth and the pressure it has put on Gerrard seems to have completely gone over your head. At no point did I claim he was to blame for the first seven! He is though in the unfortunate place in time of having to stop their ten right at the death. He will also by that point have been in charge for three full seasons and it’s difficult to think of any Rangers manager going three seasons without winning the league and remaining in the job.

:)) Shop robberies and imaginary board conversations all in one day. I would say stick me on ignore, but the insanity is keeping me amused.

Let me break it down slowly for you. Do you think, and we’re just looking at Gerrard’s reign here that after three years in charge and If he hasn’t won the league he would be under intense pressure? Simple question yes or no?

If you don’t I just can’t agree, and even if he won a cup, the league is so important to so many supporters next year because it means stopping their ten I think he would be gone possibly even by his own choice.

Equally the point about them going for their tenth and the pressure it has put on Gerrard seems to have completely gone over your head. At no point did I claim he was to blame for the first seven! He is though in the unfortunate place in time of having to stop their ten right at the death. He will also by that point have been in charge for three full seasons and it’s difficult to think of any Rangers manager going three seasons without winning the league and remaining in the job.
Will I start again?
I responded to a message that said Gerrard job would be untenable because it secured them 10 in a row.
That's moronic.
That's what I put in my reply.
It's what I think now.
It's daft. Dumb. Stupid.

Because Celtic won 7 league titles while Gerrard played and trained kids for another club and company in another country, he'd need to be sacked.

The most fucked up logic I've seen in some time.
Thats what I said. That's what I've continued to say and it's what I'm saying now.

The blunt truth is if Gerrard has another similar domestic season to the last two I can’t imagine him wanting to stay around much longer.

I see no benefit to his managerial career in constantly finishing 2nd for the next several seasons to fool like Neil Lennon then leaving.

Next season really is make or break for him.

Will I start again?
I responded to a message that said Gerrard job would be untenable because it secured them 10 in a row.
That's moronic.
It's what I think now.
It's daft. Dumb. Stupid.

Because Celtic won 7 league titles while Gerrard played and trained kids for another club and company in another country, he'd need to be sacked.

Thats what I said. That's what I've continued to say and it's what I'm saying now.

:)) I’m out. You’re arguing a point no one is arguing.

I’ve just literally said of course he’s not to blame for the first seven, but he will be responsible for the next three potentially. That is where the pressure would come from, the fact it would be their tenth adds to that pressure.

I get it you don’t want him to go no matter what. I don’t want him to go because that will mean he’s been a success. I do think it’s reasonable though to review his position if we fail to win the league again next year.

I genuinely don’t see any way he would survive a third straight title loss, especially when you add in the fact it would be their tenth on the trot.

The hysteria will be off the chart next season, and I just don’t see the support backing any manager in that position regardless of anything else.
:)) I’m out. You’re arguing a point no one is arguing.
Except you.

:)) ;):confused::cool::p:oops::rolleyes::)):)
*I see you like wee faces, so I've added a few..

Will I start again?
That's moronic.
It's what I think now.
It's daft. Dumb. Stupid.

ok will it be untenable if he doesnt win the league?

The blunt truth is if Gerrard has another similar domestic season to the last two I can’t imagine him wanting to stay around much longer.

I see no benefit to his managerial career in constantly finishing 2nd for the next several seasons to fool like Neil Lennon then leaving.

Next season really is make or break for him.
I'm surprised at the amount of posts this thread has had. Especially when I couldn't even spell manager right in the title. I think some people must mix with really different kind of Rangers fan than I. Because in the real world away from here I don't know anyone that would think it would be acceptable for a Rangers management team to fail 3 times in a row and then get a 4th try at it.
I don't even think it's controversial to say next season is do or die for him at Rangers. But apparently it is.

I'm surprised at the amount of posts this thread has had. Especially when I couldn't even spell manager right in the title. I think some people must mix with really different kind of Rangers fan than I. Because in the real world away from here I don't know anyone that would think it would be acceptable for a Rangers management team to fail 3 times in a row and then get a 4th try at it.
I don't even think it's controversial to say next season is do or die for him at Rangers. But apparently it is.

Gerrard himself probably understands more than anyone that next season is absolutely vital to his managerial career in the future.

As I said above he has absolutely nothing to gain from remaining manager after next season if we win nothing. His ultimate aim is to manage Liverpool at some point and that won’t happen by continually finishing second in a two horse race.

Next season is absolutely vital for the club and the manager. More than anything he needs to get his signings 100% right this summer.

ok will it be untenable if he doesnt win the league?
I don't know, if we won a cup double and lost the league by a couple of points I'd really be torn.
Would you want him sacked?

If he won the Europa League, could you envisage sacking him regardless of how the league panned out?

If Kent ran riot, outscoring and assisting Christie, if Hagi done the same compared to whoever it is they have in midfield. If Morelos stuck around and outscored Edouard including scoring at least 4 v them.
If we have a better goals scored, and less goals against, but one horrendous Derby refereeing performance effectively cost us the league, would we want him gone?

That's a pretty far out there set of circumstances, and I'd hope very few right thinking Rangers fans would want him gone, given where we've come from and how far behind we still are budget wise.

But you can start bringing that back. Where is the line?

For me it isn't win the league and stay, don't and you are sacked.

No trophies? Has to go?
10 points behind, has to go?
.. The line....
Scenario above? Has to stay?
Win the league? Has to stay?

He's clearly improved us but he's got to win the league next season. Even running them close probably won't be good enough.

Depressing state of affairs but there it is. Surely it can't come as a galloping shock to anyone.

He's clearly improved us but he's got to win the league next season. Even running them close probably won't be good enough.

Depressing state of affairs but there it is. Surely it can't come as a galloping shock to anyone.

Given there is more than likely going to be a champions league qualifying place for us at the end of next season if we finish 2nd again then can only imagine what this place will be like if a new manager does come in and we get papped out early doors.

There’s far too many people in our support who are either too inexperienced to know who we are or are starting to forget who we are. Standards have gone out the window in the past few years and, as you’ve said, avoiding 5-0 skuddings are seen as a bit of progress.

I find it difficult to see us pretend we are a big club when we don’t behave like it at times.

Nobody is saying its progress but mentally that win against them in December 18 was huge for some of that squad who had been on the end of horrific results against the scum. The fear of playing against them totally went from that result as well not sure why it should be down played.

As for standards they never slip but for some it's like the last 8 years has never happened and to this day the club is getting back to where we should be mainly due to the European income. We shouldn't accept failure but at times we have to be realistic as well.

I don't agree with that second part.

I do agree we need to win something. We were a disaster for multiple reasons from 2011-2018. We're in a better position now than we've been since before that time frame.
Gerrard also gives us that higher profile to build on that position. He's a young manager who will continue to improve.
People are impatient and spout pish based on reaction to the mhanks. That's behavior I like to leave to those morons.

Can I ask a serious question to those throwing a hissy fit at bears who aren’t satisfied with with the current domestic performance and believe replacement coaching staff should be sought if we crumble and fall again next season?

First off, more or less everyone who has stated that they’re not happy with the current level of domestic performance has clearly acknowledged (in several threads going back months no less!) that Gerrard has made great progress in terms of cleaning the rubble he inherited and progressing us well beyond the lowly and depressing levels of the previous 3 coaches. I myself have also said that the win at the piggery and the Europeans results were proud moments and moments we hadn’t had in a long long time and that Gerrard deserved immense credit for these.

So why, when we state domestic performance isn’t good enough and there’s been little to no domestic progress from last season, do you need to peddle this complete lie that myself and likeminded individuals are calling/or have called Gerrard a diddy whose made no progress? Is it not possible to have the discussion without making shite up?
I'll try to answer this for you. Some of the posters on here are in favour of Gerrard being our manager for a variety of different reasons and believe that Gerrard has improved us substantially since taking over. A lot of what you say is correct regarding our results domestically and we should be doing better as we certainly have the quality to do better. I believe and it's only my opinion he's very close to success with us and I think our European runs has earned us finances that allow us to close the gap. Unfortunately with the European runs meant a lot more games and whilst our starting 11 have the quality we don't yet have that quality in depth. I think this was shown in January/February where some of the players looked out on their feet. Once we add more quality strength and depth within our squad domestic results will improve.

Regarding the cups whilst it's great for the club and fans to be successful we probably earn better finances from European runs therefore do you think the board will sack him if we're getting prolonged runs in European competition. As an aside I'd love us to win a trophy as soon as possible to get that monkey of our back.

I don't know, if we won a cup double and lost the league by a couple of points I'd really be torn.
Would you want him sacked?

If he won the Europa League, could you envisage sacking him regardless of how the league panned out?

If Kent ran riot, outscoring and assisting Christie, if Hagi done the same compared to whoever it is they have in midfield. If Morelos stuck around and outscored Edouard including scoring at least 4 v them.
If we have a better goals scored, and less goals against, but one horrendous Derby refereeing performance effectively cost us the league, would we want him gone?

That's a pretty far out there set of circumstances, and I'd hope very few right thinking Rangers fans would want him gone, given where we've come from and how far behind we still are budget wise.

But you can start bringing that back. Where is the line?

For me it isn't win the league and stay, don't and you are sacked.

No trophies? Has to go?
10 points behind, has to go?
.. The line....
Scenario above? Has to stay?
Win the league? Has to stay?
jesus fck youre worse than a woman

jesus fck youre worse than a woman
I've always found it more of a female trait that everything is black and white.
Again, just another poster happy to bark questions and refuse to give up an answer.

Is it your opinion that the only measure of Gerrard as manager of Rangers is whether or not he wins the title next year.
As black and white as, if Celtic don't win it he stays and if they do he must go?

I've always found it more of a female trait that everything is black and white.
Again, just another poster happy to bark questions and refuse to give up an answer.

Is it your opinion that the only measure of Gerrard as manager of Rangers is whether or not he wins the title next year.
As black and white as, if Celtic don't win it he stays and if they do he must go?
again acting like a woman trying to put words into peoples mouth and cant answer a straight question

again acting like a woman trying to put words into peoples mouth and cant answer a straight question
Where?

He should be sacked now if you are going to sack him next year if he improves by 10 or 15 points and is still shown the door based on how many points Celtic accumulate.
That's my opinion.

Did you have an opinion?

The majority can debate Gerrard like an adult, but some speak about him and defend everything he’s done as if they’re an 8 year old lassie talking about their favourite boyband.

No point in talking to these people.

Exactly this. A lot of drawer-wetting Gerrard fanboys who can’t accept any criticism in his direction. We all want this to work, but realism has to kick in eventually or we will become Aberdeen. Or Espanyol. Take your pick.

I don’t,he must get 5 years,if he goes after 3 we’re asking a new guy to win it in his first season,that is a big ask,bite the bullet

I'll try to answer this for you. Some of the posters on here are in favour of Gerrard being our manager for a variety of different reasons and believe that Gerrard has improved us substantially since taking over. A lot of what you say is correct regarding our results domestically and we should be doing better as we certainly have the quality to do better. I believe and it's only my opinion he's very close to success with us and I think our European runs has earned us finances that allow us to close the gap. Unfortunately with the European runs meant a lot more games and whilst our starting 11 have the quality we don't yet have that quality in depth. I think this was shown in January/February where some of the players looked out on their feet. Once we add more quality strength and depth within our squad domestic results will improve.

Regarding the cups whilst it's great for the club and fans to be successful we probably earn better finances from European runs therefore do you think the board will sack him if we're getting prolonged runs in European competition. As an aside I'd love us to win a trophy as soon as possible to get that monkey of our back.

To be honest mate you weren’t one of the main culprits. And without retreading the some old argument of me explaining why 10 and 13 points gaps and 1 final out of 4 is anything but close, and why serious changes are needed both in the playing squad and the managers use of his players (in my opinion of course), I’ll just say that that still doesn’t really explain why a few here continually imply that some of us want rid of him now, or that we think or have said that he’s some sort of diddy who has barely moved us on.

Again, I respect your own opinion and truly hope you’re right and I’m wrong. I’d love nothing more than to go into a thread a year from now lauding Gerrard whilst eating humble. Anyway, I’m not saying he’ll fail of course, but I do have serious doubts which I’d love him to remove.

Where?

He should be sacked now if you are going to sack him next year if he improves by 10 or 15 points and is still shown the door based on how many points Celtic accumulate.
That's my opinion.

Did you have an opinion?

It doesnt matter a jot if he increases the points gap over other teams. If Rangers are 2nd in the league and the gap to top spot hasn't been cut then it isnt progress.

The majority can debate Gerrard like an adult, but some speak about him and defend everything he’s done as if they’re an 8 year old lassie talking about their favourite boyband.

No point in talking to these people.

The football equivalent of teenage lassies and Harry Styles. Seriously, it’s that bad. The irritating part is people are actually looking at the break down of results and comparing the two domestic campaigns and being quite fair in doing so, yet getting accusations of revelling in misery and wanting him to fail, as well as bare faced lies about calling him a diddy and wanting him replaced now? Curiously the same people who do this offer no reasoned retort other than “aye well we’ll just go and get McInnes then shall we” or “aye well who would you go out and get then genius”. Nutters..

It doesnt matter a jot if he increases the points gap over other teams. If Rangers are 2nd in the league and the gap to top spot hasn't been cut then it isnt progress.
Don't know where I said anything different.
I'm simply arguing the point that not winning the league can not equal must go in any sane world.
I'd find it hard that anyone could put up a valid case for sacking Gerrard for finishing 1-5 points behind Celtic if we got anywhere close to 2.7 points per game.
I'd be raging, but that's not a valid case for sacking him.

Don't know where I said anything different.
I'm simply arguing the point that not winning the league can not equal must go in any sane world.
I'd find it hard that anyone could put up a valid case for sacking Gerrard for finishing 1-5 points behind Celtic if we got anywhere close to 2.7 points per game.
I'd be raging, but that's not a valid case for sacking him.

We were 13 points behind them at close of play this season. Sure there was the game in hand. We might have won that. We might have won either, or both, old firm games. The gap could have been as lot as 4 points. More likely? It would be at least 10 points assuming we won the game in hand but didnt win both OF games. It could have been 16 if we won the game in hand but lost both OF games and 19 if we lost all 3 games.

That is absolutely cause to look at his performance.

We were 13 points behind them at close of play this season. Sure there was the game in hand. We might have won that. We might have won either, or both, old firm games. The gap could have been as lot as 4 points. More likely? It would be at least 10 points assuming we won the game in hand but didnt win both OF games. It could have been 16 if we won the game in hand but lost both OF games and 19 if we lost all 3 games.

Then maybe he should be sacked now?
Maybe the board should go out and get a new man in?

I have an issue with people saying "He must go, if we don't win the league"
We could finish the season with over 100 points next year and finish 2nd. And not 1 person on this page has seen the need to back up their claim that 10 in a row means Gerrard must go by answering if he should be sacked if that scenario played out.

Just the same vultures telling lies, being rude. And disappearing rather than answer some very basic questions.

There absolutely always is with every manager even after one game.

You are a smart guy pies, know your football can you give us the name of a manager that comes in and deals with the tims, gets the euro cash and most all beats the incredible level of corruption ?

When the football returns the only thing we can be sure of is that the refs up here will cheat Rangers. They will be fired up once again.

I am not for a second suggesting there isnt one and he might well be a manager thats not so well known from a smaller league in europe, i get that its a huge job id just be interested to hear where we go next. There must be one or two names people have in mind someone they erm fancy

I think the honeymoon ended at the beginning of the year. Criticism escalated and some were even calling for his head. Thankfully that didn’t happen. However, I agree next season must produce silverware. This appointment was a risk from the start and once we made the decision we had to give him sufficient time to learn the ropes and implement his plans. Given where we were at when Gerrard arrived it’s debatable whether 3 years was long enough for a rookie manager to turn us around, but it’s hard to imagine anyone being given longer in modern football. The grey area for me is if we win a cup but not the league. What happens then? Do we bin someone we have invested so much in and start over, or stick with him in the hope his career at Ibrox mirrors that of Ferguson at Old Trafford?

Back