Hope we never Davis or Jack ahead of Arfield in Europe

Yawn doll you like fella , I think you’re missing the point the Op is making.nobody is saying that Leverkusen aren’t world class or streets ahead of us .
Arfield coped a hell of a lot better and made a big difference than either of the other 2 mentioned for their part .

He really didn’t make any difference at all, I’ve gone over the match and player stats. He did nothing bar run around after the ball like a dog playing with its owner.

Don’t believe me go have a look at what he did, no decisive play, no challenges made on the ground or in the air. Links below.

On fitness maybe but the rest of the Midfield including Aribo have a lot to learn from his play, the most intelligent player we have IMO, not in mastermind but what to do with the ball

If we want them to learn from him then he could do it as a coach. Nobody is learning anything watching him play poorly.

The problem I have with all 3 is fitness. I dont think any of the 3 can play Wed/Sat every week. Should we be expecting them to? I'm not saying i dont expect them to never be injured, but Jack has that persistent knee problem and Davis/Arfield just dont have the legs for it. Which is why we have them here for free.

We expect Tav, Goldson, Borna, Kent, Morelos etc.. to manage that kind of schedule though.

I know Gerrard likes to change things up but there is a core of players who play every game. Except in our midfield.

Aribo is the only one that can play Wed/Sat type schedule of games over the course of a season.

To be fair leverkusen went into 1st gear after they scored. Arfield has a place in the squad though.

This is the problem I have. If we play good itis because the other team were bad, rubbish, dropped a gear etc etc. Is it not possible that Rangers sometimes play good.Have a good spell. It looks like the only way we won 55 titles and some great results in Europe including winning the cup winners cup were because the other teams were shite. I don't particularly just mean your post but something thatis crops up a lot.

He may be offering more than Davis, but there's no way he's better than Jack. He may have shown up better last night, but the game was done when he came on. They'd given us the run around and knew they'd killed the tie, so they just saw it out.
He was also having howlers last season until that changed after the winter break and he was one of the only players contributing.
His work rate and enthusiasm are never in question, but his ability, passing and shooting are.
He's still not a starter for me, but could be if he can get back to the good bits of form he showed in his first season.
Sadly, and I said this a while back and really hate saying it, but I think Davis is done now. Everything just looks a little too slow with him, and the assurance and confidence doesn't seem to be there any more either. I really hope it's just a bit of a slump, but fear the worst.

Yeah no need for defensive midfielders in European football at all these days, especially against much better teams than us.

This is the problem I have. If we play good itis because the other team were bad, rubbish, dropped a gear etc etc. Is it not possible that Rangers sometimes play good.Have a good spell. It looks like the only way we won 55 titles and some great results in Europe including winning the cup winners cup were because the other teams were shite. I don't particularly just mean your post but something thatis crops up a lot.
Aye i get what you are saying and its not an opinion i normally have as 99% of the time i expect us to dominate opposition especially domestically. However last night i just saw a team full of better footballers who for the most part had us chasing shadows. We had a spell where we played a bit better but i dont think its a coincidence that it happened after leverkusen killed the tie.

I’ve said for a while now that Arfield is a much better player when he comes off the bench.

It’s as if he knows that he’s only got 20/30 minutes, so can run himself into the ground.

If he starts the game, he has to try conserve himself and can’t afford to charge about daft - unless he’s told to do it for 60 minutes then he’ll get subbed.

We really need a new central midfielder, Davis and Arfield shouldn’t be starting many games IMO.

Yawn!

Leverkusen where always two steps ahead of us and it didn’t mater who or how many we played in midfield.

Their players are world class, about to become world class or a level below it. We are no where near that level.
The guy gave a balanced opinion, why do you feel the need to start your reply with "yawn"?
It's rather childish and disingenuous...that applies to everyone who does it.

For what its worth, the guy is right Arfield is a better option than both.

If we were to bring in a centre mid, Ryan Jack would be an option for the RB position as he plays with Scotland.

The guy gave a balanced opinion, why do you feel the need to start your reply with "yawn"?
It's rather childish and disingenuous...that applies to everyone who does it.

For what its worth, the guy is right Arfield is a better option than both.

The yawn was because it the same tiresome shit.

He isn’t and wasn’t a better option, match stats back this. He was a headless chicken that has a swagger on him.

As a pair (Jack and Davis) played in Europe away against Porto 1-1, incredibly creditable result, they played at home in the 2-0 win against Porto and they played in the away win against Braga,

Does that body of evidence not suggest playing them in Europe has actually worked really well?

Arfield is a long way from the answer to our problems. He's nearly quite good at passing, nearly quite good at tackling, nearly quite good at pressing, really good at running about like a headless chicken and looking very tired. He can't shoot, he can't beat a player. He does try his best though.
For anyone who thinks Jack isn't good enough, go and watch the Europa league group games again, specifically Porto.
He certainly needs someone next to him with a bit of a physical presence and a better engine than Davis though. Davis was a fine player and great pro, but his best days are behind him now.
Midfield is surely the priority in the transfer market now.

Arfield is a long way from the answer to our problems. He's nearly quite good at passing, nearly quite good at tackling, nearly quite good at pressing, really good at running about like a headless chicken and looking very tired. He can't shoot, he can't beat a player. He does try his best though.
For anyone who thinks Jack isn't good enough, go and watch the Europa league group games again, specifically Porto.
He certainly needs someone next to him with a bit of a physical presence and a better engine than Davis though. Davis was a fine player and great pro, but his best days are behind him now.
Midfield is surely the priority in the transfer market now.
Agree with pretty much everything there.
It's acceptable to say that Ross McCrorie has poor use of the ball, but not Arfield.
I wouldn't say Kamara's use of the ball is poor, but most of the time it's just recycled and he goes around in neat and tidy wee circles and doesn't really achieve anything.
I'd still love to see McCrorie playing as our holding midfielder, as if he plays like he did against Aberdeen and Celtic both home and away when he was our MOTM, he does the job as well as anyone and allows Jack to concentrate more on moving the ball forward.
Unfortunately it'll never happen though.

Davis and Jack were superb in Europe last season and pivotal to our success,

However, we need upgrades on both of them and Arfield if we want to take it to the next level.

What Jack done wrong so didn’t have the best of games , so one game you want to drop him. He been one of our most consistent players in this European competition.i agree about Arfield wood have him in the team.

Amazing how quickly the support turn on someone like Jack, in the immediate aftermath of defeat to a top-level side. And, similarly, how quick we are to turn Arfield into the saviour, on the back of a 15 minute cameo, when the tie was done and when Leverkusen were going through the motions.

I like Arfield - a quality to have around the squad - but he's not playing ahead Ryan Jack - Steven Gerrard will testify to that.

An unbelievable take after probably our only real poor performance in this european run that exceeded all expectations

Knee jerk guff

The drop off in Davis is incredible. Not so long ago he was waltzing around the pitch like a rolls royce, spraying precision passes.

These
When Scott Arfield came on he looked far more positive and self assured than Davis or Jack. His close control was better and he played a few really good positive defense splitting passes
These kind of comments mystify me. His ball retention is awful and his touch is average. I grant you he has more of an attacking threat than Jack and Davis, but Arfield is never a good fit for the 2 holding positions.

Back