Hope we never Davis or Jack ahead of Arfield in Europe

To be fair leverkusen went into 1st gear after they scored. Arfield has a place in the squad though.

For me Arfield has been our best option in midfield for some time now along with Aribo.

Arfield was poor at the start of last season but is a good player

Last edited:
We desperately need a quality midfielder who plays with their head up all the time

We need two guys in there who can go box to box and are unafraid to take the ball 20/30 yards up the pitch before making a forward pass.

Taking the ball off the centre backs toes and delivering wee six yard passes(and some of them are of the hospital ball variety) to a full back or fellow midfielder just won't cut it. We're leaving a massive hole between the defense and attack.

The game tonight was always about getting game time for some players, if anyone really thought we were going there to go through tonight they are absolutely mental.
The third goal at Ibrox killed the tie.
Davis and Jack would stroll it against most in our league and played plenty games last season in this tournament together well enough.
Yes it would be great to have other options, hopefully our scouts can pick up a gem somewhere out there that costs a fraction of the the going rate for top top players.
Leverkusen are a team full of 15-25 million quid footballers and won't be far away from winning the Europa,i think some of our support really need a reality check here.

Perhaps if we had been a bit more positive in terms of midfield creativity we might not have been totally outplayed by standing back and admiring our opponents.
Eh? They are streets ahead of us. Arfield or not they would've stepped up a gear and scored a couple more. Brilliant run in europe, move on to Sunday.

Davis still has an eye for a pass, but he's become too slow and is often caught in possession these days. That leads to turnovers which is putting the defence under pressure. He's never had any physicality about his play, which is something we desperately need. Aribo is really the only player I have any faith in retaining possession in a one on one battle. We really need a more physical midfielder in the side to help there.

What we need is someone like Charles Aranguiz.

A master of the dark arts, he’s crafty and tigerish. He is a fine passer of the ball, got a great engine and not bad strike from distance too.

He’s someone I’ve liked since 09 with Colo-Colo.

Davis is finished th and I don't know what Jack is meant to do anymore. Never affects games.

Would love two new centre mids to play alongside Aribo.
I think jack has his role in Scotland and to a lesser degree in Europe. He seems a decent guy and I'm sure would hold his hand up tonight and admit he was wholly outclassed. The difference in physique, strength and quickness of thought really is there for all to see at this level. Let's not forget, this is a VERY good team. I would agree with H&H's Hoggy; likely the best team we have played in Europe for a long time.

Davis, Arfield and actually Jack at times - are not the answer to our midfield issues.

If we really want to up it a level we need better and more dynamic players in there.

Aribo and two new midfielders is what we really need.

Arfield's first involvement was to play an unopposed 7 yard pass straight to the opposition, which led to Hagi getting booked as a result. He's also so slow, it's as if he's towing a caravan.

He's not a starter for me.

P
When Scott Arfield came on he looked far more positive and self assured than Davis or Jack. His close control was better and he played a few really good positive defense splitting passes

Scotty certainly gave us more energy tonight, but Davis clearly lacked match sharpness.

Kamara was a huge miss for me, but Arfield, Jack, Davis and Kamara have all had big performances for us in Europe over the past year.

I'm writing none of them off a week into the season.

I like Jack, but with Davis I feel we just seem to be grinding to a halt at points when the 2 of them play.

P

Scotty certainly gave us more energy tonight, but Davis clearly lacked match sharpness.

Kamara was a huge miss for me, but Arfield, Jack, Davis and Kamara have all had big performances for us in Europe over the past year.

I'm writing none of them off a week into the season.

32 degrees heat
Playing a top European side
Some players have had less game time than others.

Yet posters on here writing off our midfield as done, past it, not good enough.

Honestly, defies belief...and logic.

This place is mind numbing and stupid after any defeat but for it to get so worked up for getting put out by a team who are quite clearly miles ahead of us in quality is a new one. Leverkusen are one of if not the best side in the competition. Have a look at who half there squad is being linked with. It’s a team that’s probably worth over £300 million, so yes our midfield will look out of place against them. The performances of Davis and jack and many others helped get us here in the first place btw.

Need 4 goals and Davis default is to still pass backwards.
He's been great for us, but how many assists has he? Dithers and get shackled off ball nowasays.
not a starter for me anymore.

Ridiculous thread.

You also can’t just ignore the fact that the Germans, 3 goals to the good, also made 3 changes at about 70 mins and went down a couple of gears.

Reactions: TN8
32 degrees heat

Usual nonsense from the lunatic fringe on here.

Davis most likely won’t be an automatic pick this season but it’s still very unfair to say Davis is finished.
Far from it and that will be shown by how many times he is picked this season by a former world class midfielder.

Finished FFS?? Do we always need to use such dramatic language?

32 degrees heat

Hope Scotland never brings in summer football

I like the attributes Arfield can bring to the team but let's be honest he can be guilty of frequently giving the ball away. That's a big no no in European football especially against teams at the level we faced in this tie.

Yawn!

Leverkusen where always two steps ahead of us and it didn’t mater who or how many we played in midfield.

Their players are world class, about to become world class or a level below it. We are no where near that level.
Yawn doll you like fella , I think you’re missing the point the Op is making.nobody is saying that Leverkusen aren’t world class or streets ahead of us .
Arfield coped a hell of a lot better and made a big difference than either of the other 2 mentioned for their part .

The Germans made Davis and Jack look like 2 statues. Our engine room was broken with what it is an aging pro on the way out and a limited midfielder with no pace.

They offered our central defenders no help, who incidentally were fantastic.

Davis for me is sadly done at a consistent level, he may well feature the odd game here or there But we need Arfield or AN Other sitting in the middle with Jack, Kamara isn’t the answer beside jack either as they’re too similar.

This highlights where we need to spend next.

Yawn doll you like fella , I think you’re missing the point the Op is making.nobody is saying that Leverkusen aren’t world class or streets ahead of us .
Arfield coped a hell of a lot better and made a big difference than either of the other 2 mentioned for their part .
Arfield coped better!?
The game was done and Leverkusen had dropped a couple of gears ffs. First thing Arfield done when he came in was give the ball away a simple cross field pass and he gave it straight to a Leverkusen player. He is not the answer for any midfield problem we may have. Simply not good enough for the starting 11 if we want to win anything this season.

Davis should not have been signed after his loan spell.
He was shocking after the winter break total loss of form.
Plus at the age he is it's not going to get better plus Injuries will take longer to get over.
He will be on a decent wage as well

Davis for me is sadly done at a consistent level, he may well feature the odd game here or there But we need Arfield or AN Other sitting in the middle with Jack, Kamara isn’t the answer beside jack either as they’re too similar.

This highlights where we need to spend next.

Tbf, your whole game plan is fuucked when your striker, who's main asset in European away games is holding the ball up and getting us up the park, is in an embarrassing physical condition and played like he just didn't care.

Nothing was sticking up front, which put our midfield and defence constantly on the back foot.

As if it wasn't going to be a hard evening to begin with!

They all have a big part to play this season. But we do need one more midfielder who is better.

Tbf, your whole game plan is fuucked when your striker, who's main asset in European away games is holding the ball up and getting us up the park, is in an embarrassing physical condition and played like he just didn't care.

Nothing was sticking up front, which put our midfield and defence constantly on the back foot.

As if it wasn't going to be a hard evening to begin with!
From the pre season games it’s been obvious he’s not been in any condition to start games but we’ve had our hands tied, that’ll change Sunday

Back