Horau (their big sub)

nb_28

For me this is evidence why you need a plan C.

Felt we could have done with a player like him for a couple seasons now. With our fullbacks crossing ability they would cause havoc. For me if our normal system isn’t working Defoe’s introduction won’t exactly change it

He's their star striker who is still coming back from a bad injury. They weren't exactly bringing on some throw of the dice wrecking ball as you allude to.

He's their star striker who is still coming back from a bad injury. They weren't exactly bringing on some throw of the dice wrecking ball as you allude to.
So their plan A must work just fine then given that they are top of their league, beat us and in champions league last year

It's a shame Joe Garner was complete pish at everything else but his ability to get up of the ground and head the ball was brilliant and something we really could do with

The point still stands. His presence and ability to win headers really troubled our CBS. We don’t have an option like that

When have we ever had an "option" like that? In my lifetime the only one I can think of is Stevie Thompson, and he wasn't exactly saving us points every week. It's a daft, desperate point. It doesn't work for a team like Rangers.
whether we have or haven't defo isn't his point, your bringing it up despite it being irrelevant tbh

Last edited:
When have we ever had an "option" like that? In my lifetime the only one I can think of is Stevie Thompson, and he wasn't exactly saving us points every week. It's a daft, desperate point. It doesn't work for a team like Rangers.

Are you not just backing up what he said?

Is this the number 99 we're talking about?
I thought he looked very good. Gave our defence a torrid time when he came on.

They also had half their team up front so we had to drop players back deep to pick them up. This meant they were able to pick up 2nd balls or press us when we did, and we struggled to get the ball up field.

YB played similar to how we used to play under Walter. Not a criticism at all btw, long ball football does work when utilised correctly. I'm delighted with how Stevie G has us playing but i agree it's good to be able to change it up. Defoe is very similar to Morelos so that doesn't offer us a different approach, perhaps we need a big strong 3rd striker to come in, in January

We don’t often chase games though.

The last part is laughable. Doesn’t work for a team like US. How the feck are we any different? When you’re chasing a game, you’re chasing a game.

The big guy won a helluva lot in the air, I wouldn’t say no to someone like that.

Most centre backs in Scotland are 7ft tall cloggers. They'd absolutely lap up high balls whipped into the box, I'd rather we continue to try and outplay them.

We don’t often chase games though.

The last part is laughable. Doesn’t work for a team like US. How the feck are we any different? When you’re chasing a game, you’re chasing a game.

Because we rarely chase games in Scotland. Would people be happy if we spent money on Cosgrove to wheel him out once in a blue moon?

did make a thread about this a week or so ago ,would be nice to have that option of going long when desperate, alfie and defoe very similar.

YB played similar to how we used to play under Walter. Not a criticism at all btw, long ball football does work when utilised correctly. I'm delighted with how Stevie G has us playing but i agree it's good to be able to change it up. Defoe is very similar to Morelos so that doesn't offer us a different approach, perhaps we need a big strong 3rd striker to come in, in January

They were getting no joy because of our high press which forced them to go long. The fact they ended up playing route one was testament to how well we were doing.

I agree with the op and have been saying we need that kind of option for a while now. Look at the cup final there. When the poets went to 10 men they just narrowed the game and let us have the ball out wide as they were confident of winning headers v Morelos and Defoe. I’m not saying we should spend a fortune on it but there is still a place in the squad for a big physical centre forward.

They are out of the EL.

We are through.
That’s not relevant to the fact though is it. Or something anyone was unaware of. The point was made by another poster that he wasn’t a back up option but in fact their returning star man. He looked very decent when he came on

Felt we could have done with a player like him for a couple seasons now. With our fullbacks crossing ability they would cause havoc. For me if our normal system isn’t working Defoe’s introduction won’t exactly change it
I agree a striker with aerial ability is an assett,Mark Hately was probably the last one we had and he wasn't too shabby.

If and it is a big if, you need to resort to plan C to get than required win. you go three at the back and put one of the CB's up front.

There you go, just saved us a a few 100k on plan C.

tenor.gif

Think this waswhy he signed Lafferty and failed. A different option. We cant afford that type of player and be Plan C!

It always pays to have a physical striker, we clearly need one and a starting right winger.

It's an option when things aren't going our way. I think we could do with a player in that mould too.

Think the reason we have Alfie and JD both similiar players was that with Alfie's discipline issues and the constant rumours of him moving on SG needed a striker in Alfie's style so when he was not available through whatever reason could slip into the team with minimum disruption to our style of play.
Would imagine the manager would like a more aerial and physical threat on the bench to change the style.
Hoping he sees a player in the youths who might be able to fill that option on the bench in the future .
BTW seen nothing in Scotland that would fill that role for us Cosgrove, Dykes and that guy at Hearts don't have the quality we need if you combine the three together wouldn't be up to the standard required .

Back