Horse-punching rattler nicked Ibrox Commonwealth Games mascot!

The eagle eyed amongst us may be able to piece together his address, who is doing the detective work and sending the takeaways B-)

GAME'S UP

Glasgow Commonwealth Games mascot returned after seven years in football thug’s garden as cops swoop on his home​

• 23:24, 24 Jul 2021
  • Updated: 1:18, 25 Jul 2021
COPS swooped on a notorious football lout’s back garden - and seized a stolen Glasgow Commonwealth Games mascot missing for seven years.
Officers bundled 5ft thistle Clyde into a van at the home of police horse punch yob Kevin McGuire, 38, in Drumchapel, Glasgow.
Football thug Kevin McGuire nicked the mascot from a plinth near Ibrox, Glasgow in 2014
Football thug Kevin McGuire nicked the mascot from a plinth near Ibrox, Glasgow in 2014

The Sun on Sunday tipped off police that the missing Clyde - swiped from a plinth near Ibrox, Glasgow, in 2014 - was in footie thug McGuire’s garden.

Officers swooped on his pad after we alerted them to photos on Twitter which showed the missing model in the background.

They seized the fibreglass statue - one of 25 commissioned when Glasgow hosted the sports tournament - and took it to a nearby police station.

It was later driven to the council’s City Chambers, where Lord Provost Philip Braat gave it the once over, before returning it to the cop shop to be held as evidence.

Councillor Braat said after the bizarre raid on the Celtic fan’s pad: “The theft was an affront to the people of Glasgow.”

Celtic fan McGuire, 38 - who was hit with a footie ban and did jail time for punching police horses - denied knowledge of the mascot.

When asked how it ended up in his garden, he grabbed a mop in a fury and tried to whack our reporter with it.

The thug raged: “It’s nonsense. I don’t know anything about it. Nothing. It’s a surprise.”

Cops raided McGuire’s garden in the city’s Drumchapel on Friday afternoon.

'GREAT TO HAVE CLYDE BACK'​

They spoke with local residents before loading Clyde into their van.

We had flagged the figure’s location to authorities after being made aware of snaps on the Twitter profile of Govan Emerald Celtic Supporters Club last week.

Photos showed McGuire drinking a beer in the sun and two people in a pool beside the statue, which has a distinctive motif of the Finnieston Crane on its T-shirt.

Sharing the images with his followers, he wrote: “Am a greedy c***”, alongside smiley faces.

We then traced McGuire to a housing estate - where Clyde’s green skin and purple hair were visible through a garden fence - before notifying police.

An appeal for info had been launched when the figure - designed by schoolgirl Beth Gilmour - first vanished.

The remaining 24 across the city were then removed by officials over fears they might also be nicked following attacks by vandals.

But many were earmarked for display at public buildings, including a replacement for stolen Clyde.

The mascots had been a massive hit with Games visitors and athletes, such as Jamaican sprint champion Usain Bolt.
It’s understood no one has been arrested or charged in connection with the sculpture find.

Police inquiries are ongoing.

Council chiefs are expected to decide what to do with the mascot once cops are finished with it.

Labour councillor Mr Braat last night hailed the statue’s recovery.

He said: “It’s great to have Clyde back to the city where he belongs.

“I have to thank The Scottish Sun on Sunday and Police Scotland for the work that they carried out.

“Not only was it a shame that a theft had occurred, it was also an affront to the people of Glasgow.

“To have it back now after so many years is fantastic.”

But he added: “I’m perplexed why someone had stolen it in the first place. I suppose it was a memento of the Commonwealth Games, one of the best we have ever seen. But I still can’t understand why someone would steal something that belongs to a wider community for their own benefit.”
Councillor Braat joked that Clyde was looking “pretty well” despite his lengthy ordeal.

He added: “I think after so many years on the run, he’s come back in pretty good nick.

“I think maybe he’s gone through the wars here and there. There’s maybe a bit of TLC needed. But overall he looks very good.

“I would hope that once the legal process has been handled, that we can come together as a city and decide what we do. Do we place it with the replica where it was stolen in the first place? For me personally I would perhaps like to see it go back to where it came from, back to the community where it was stolen.

“It will give the community a lasting memory of the Commonwealth Games and a restitution for the crime that was committed.

“I would like to see it placed back where it came from in the first place.”

A Police Scotland spokeswoman last night confirmed: “The Clyde mascot was recovered in the Glasgow area on the afternoon of Friday, July 23. Inquiries are continuing.”

McGuire got a five-year UK footie stadium ban and 10 months behind bars in February last year for thumping three police horses outside Celtic Park.

But he was released weeks later in May 2020 amid efforts to halt the spread of Covid in prisons.
He’d been found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to animals, assaulting two officers and behaving in a threatening manner.

Glasgow Sheriff Court heard he was “one of the ringleaders” of a riot before a Scottish Cup tie against Airdrie in January 2019.

He later sidestepped his ban by watching the Hoops play a friendly in Paris.

Angry McGuire tried to hit our reporter with a mop
The mascot was returned by cops to Glasgow City Chambers
Either the Record is lying about his age or he’s had a hard life!

Screenshot-2021-07-24-at-22.19.20.png

Relax girls......he's already married.
Aye to his local father,and it’s not his da btw

GAME'S UP

Glasgow Commonwealth Games mascot returned after seven years in football thug’s garden as cops swoop on his home​

COPS swooped on a notorious football lout’s back garden - and seized a stolen Glasgow Commonwealth Games mascot missing for seven years.
Officers bundled 5ft thistle Clyde into a van at the home of police horse punch yob Kevin McGuire, 38, in Drumchapel, Glasgow.

The Sun on Sunday tipped off police that the missing Clyde - swiped from a plinth near Ibrox, Glasgow, in 2014 - was in footie thug McGuire’s garden.

Officers swooped on his pad after we alerted them to photos on Twitter which showed the missing model in the background.

They seized the fibreglass statue - one of 25 commissioned when Glasgow hosted the sports tournament - and took it to a nearby police station.

It was later driven to the council’s City Chambers, where Lord Provost Philip Braat gave it the once over, before returning it to the cop shop to be held as evidence.

Councillor Braat said after the bizarre raid on the Celtic fan’s pad: “The theft was an affront to the people of Glasgow.”

Celtic fan McGuire, 38 - who was hit with a footie ban and did jail time for punching police horses - denied knowledge of the mascot.

When asked how it ended up in his garden, he grabbed a mop in a fury and tried to whack our reporter with it.

The thug raged: “It’s nonsense. I don’t know anything about it. Nothing. It’s a surprise.”

Cops raided McGuire’s garden in the city’s Drumchapel on Friday afternoon.

'GREAT TO HAVE CLYDE BACK'​

They spoke with local residents before loading Clyde into their van.

We had flagged the figure’s location to authorities after being made aware of snaps on the Twitter profile of Govan Emerald Celtic Supporters Club last week.

Photos showed McGuire drinking a beer in the sun and two people in a pool beside the statue, which has a distinctive motif of the Finnieston Crane on its T-shirt.

Sharing the images with his followers, he wrote: “Am a greedy c***”, alongside smiley faces.

We then traced McGuire to a housing estate - where Clyde’s green skin and purple hair were visible through a garden fence - before notifying police.

An appeal for info had been launched when the figure - designed by schoolgirl Beth Gilmour - first vanished.

The remaining 24 across the city were then removed by officials over fears they might also be nicked following attacks by vandals.

But many were earmarked for display at public buildings, including a replacement for stolen Clyde.

The mascots had been a massive hit with Games visitors and athletes, such as Jamaican sprint champion Usain Bolt.
It’s understood no one has been arrested or charged in connection with the sculpture find.

Police inquiries are ongoing.

Council chiefs are expected to decide what to do with the mascot once cops are finished with it.

Labour councillor Mr Braat last night hailed the statue’s recovery.

He said: “It’s great to have Clyde back to the city where he belongs.

“I have to thank The Scottish Sun on Sunday and Police Scotland for the work that they carried out.

“Not only was it a shame that a theft had occurred, it was also an affront to the people of Glasgow.

“To have it back now after so many years is fantastic.”

But he added: “I’m perplexed why someone had stolen it in the first place. I suppose it was a memento of the Commonwealth Games, one of the best we have ever seen. But I still can’t understand why someone would steal something that belongs to a wider community for their own benefit.”
Councillor Braat joked that Clyde was looking “pretty well” despite his lengthy ordeal.

He added: “I think after so many years on the run, he’s come back in pretty good nick.

“I think maybe he’s gone through the wars here and there. There’s maybe a bit of TLC needed. But overall he looks very good.

“I would hope that once the legal process has been handled, that we can come together as a city and decide what we do. Do we place it with the replica where it was stolen in the first place? For me personally I would perhaps like to see it go back to where it came from, back to the community where it was stolen.

“It will give the community a lasting memory of the Commonwealth Games and a restitution for the crime that was committed.

“I would like to see it placed back where it came from in the first place.”

A Police Scotland spokeswoman last night confirmed: “The Clyde mascot was recovered in the Glasgow area on the afternoon of Friday, July 23. Inquiries are continuing.”

McGuire got a five-year UK footie stadium ban and 10 months behind bars in February last year for thumping three police horses outside Celtic Park.

But he was released weeks later in May 2020 amid efforts to halt the spread of Covid in prisons.
He’d been found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to animals, assaulting two officers and behaving in a threatening manner.

Glasgow Sheriff Court heard he was “one of the ringleaders” of a riot before a Scottish Cup tie against Airdrie in January 2019.

He later sidestepped his ban by watching the Hoops play a friendly in Paris.

Bigger Stoke city’s than Linda Lusardi

7 years to solve the Mystery of the Missing Mascot

I’d bet my left bollock if somebody had said feñian bastard The Stasi Scotland would’ve been all over it like a rash

The mascot is in better shape. He's not exactly going to outrun the police, so not surprised he's been lifted so often

Back