How’d you solve a problem like Morelos?

He's scored 11 goals in 21 league games. That's tremendous, especially for his age, being his first few months in a different league and considering he even went through a dry patch.

He's not the finished article but promising that he's in the position for so many chances and still converting a decent amount.

He's the best striker we've had for years.

If he wasn’t getting into these positions then we’d have a problem. It’s his 1st season with us and he’s been a revelation, he’s so young and inexperienced too, he can only get better.

A great “problem” to have.

Young player in missing chances shocker. If he was scoring most chances he'd be long gone by now. What's telling is that he's there to miss them. He's going to improve and we will eventually receive an offer we can't refuse.

He's been an outrageous signing for £1m. JJ deserves massive credit for the recommendation.

Every striker misses chances regardless of age, Morelos doesn't get into these positions by accident, his movement is absolutely top notch.

The OP describing him as a problem needing solved actually bursts my brain, how daft can anyone be?!

We didnt look the same attacking force when Alfredo went off, his overall play is superb even if his finishing isnt top class. He will improve.

Very true , The opposition have more than just his movement to occupy them as his hold up play is great , He will be subject to offers this summer , And with him being on a 3year deal this will create problems for us already , Make him top earner then extend his contract , Over £10m for me .

I really like Morelos he fights hard tries like hell and causes all sorts of problems for the opposition BUT he has a head like farking roulette table ,no one knows where the ball is going to end up 9 times out of ten .:D

Before ppl jump to his rescue I’ll start by saying he’s been a fantastic signing. However I hope Cummings can finish because the wastefulness of Morelos is going to cost us points again
5 chances, good chances at that. 2 with the goal gaping & we get 1 goal
He either needs to work on his finishing or get a bit more composure (I understand he’s young). It’s becoming a trend in our matches that he continues to miss multiple very good chances, which you can forgive if the goalie makes a good save like Gordon did, in general though these chances are back post headers etc which after doing so well to get into the position in the first place should be buried.
The kid is still in early days of learning his trade and the speed of our game. He will come good, don’t be harsh as we are building a team at this time. His frustration at being taken off was because he missed the chances. That’s a good sign.

He's in arguably the biggest shop window he could possibly be in at this stage of his career. Whose to say in 5 years time where he'll be. A bit like Ross Mc, if you heard him during commentary last night, the young man sounds so happy to be here and you quickly realise, if you're an old cynic, how much these guys still have to learn on and off the park.

Imagine Ross playing with a little bit of devilment in him. Freddie with a little more composure...the future looks bright.

I'd like to think the addition of Cummings will be good for Morelos and they both thrive on each other. Cummings needs a bit of sharpness too and for that reason I'd give him the 90 against Fraserburgh and rest Morelos. I'd love to see them both become 30+ a season strikers.

Ally McCoist. End thread.

This is what I said last night, Morelos does miss chances that he should score but he is also getting into scoring positions and he is getting goals (albeit less than he probably should), a bit like McCoist did.
We will probably be in the same boat with Morelos as with McCoist in that regardless of criticism we won't be able to argue with his scoring record.

If Alfie had scored all those decent chances last night he wouldn't be here at the end of this
transfer window.

Got to be honest, OP you were chomping at the bit to have a go at Morelos when he went through his dry spell too, I remember the match threads. Now you can’t wait till he goes off form again so are citing him as a ‘problem’ for not taking all his chances, something few strikers do.

It sounds like you may have a bit of a personal dislike. Sorry if I’m wrong, but it always feels like your itching to have a go at the foreign lads in particular.

I would love it if we could find a way to get Alfie and Cummings playing together. I reckon they would tear defences apart. It would however mean we would be lighter in midfield.

Can't see last night's formation changing anytime soon, especially against the bigger teams.

We created a heap of chances.

Wait till he and Cummings get in the sane first 11 together, it will help him massively having someone to work with up top. I see Cummings as being the more central role and morelos being the one who wins the first ball and creates. They are going to rip teams to bits, hopefully starting at the weekend.

Who would you drop after last night mate?

OP you seem to have a problem with Morelos, for some reason I remember you posting in a match thread about how shite he was...before he inevitably scored. Might have been Hibs away.

So I'll leave it there, you don't see what the majority see.
I was thinking that too while I was reading the OP.

Is it the same person who was determined to shift blame for dropped points from a defensive howler on to Morelos for not scoring?

Before ppl jump to his rescue I’ll start by saying he’s been a fantastic signing. However I hope Cummings can finish because the wastefulness of Morelos is going to cost us points again
He either needs to work on his finishing or get a bit more composure (I understand he’s young). It’s becoming a trend in our matches that he continues to miss multiple very good chances, which you can forgive if the goalie makes a good save like Gordon did, in general though these chances are back post headers etc which after doing so well to get into the position in the first place should be buried.
Yeah, he is a real problem. What the fukk can we do with him?

21 years old Colombian, played football non stop for a year after moving to sunny Finland then here.
Knows where the goal is, always in the mix for chances and gets his share.
Holds the ball up well, brings others into play and drags us into the final third.
Works non stop the entire game and never lets defenders have a minute off.
Strongest player in our team who offers more all round than any other player in their own position.

But yep, this 13 league goals is a real problem. Is he in the top 6 spl scorers? So your last line is valid. What the fukk can we do with him?

I would pat him on the back and say 'well done son, keep it up'.

Yeah, he is a real problem. What the fukk can we do with him?

21 years old Colombian, played football non stop for a year after moving to sunny Finland then here.
Knows where the goal is, always in the mix for chances and gets his share.
Holds the ball up well, brings others into play and drags us into the final third.
Works non stop the entire game and never lets defenders have a minute off.
Strongest player in our team who offers more all round than any other player in their own position.

But yep, this 13 league goals is a real problem. Is he in the top 6 spl scorers? So your last line is valid. What the fukk can we do with him?

I would pat him on the back and say 'well done son, keep it up'.

See my next comment

I’ll even copy it here...
The thread title is a play on words
How to solve a problem like Maria (sound of music)
It was not saying Morelos is a problem. Missed chances can be a problem as we’ve found out a few times this season which is why after beating Aberdeen 3 times & drawing with Celtic we are only ahead of Aberdeen on goal difference but that’s aimed at every player not just him. Of course he will miss chances, I just hope he starts to put the sitters away

I was thinking that too while I was reading the OP.

Is it the same person who was determined to shift blame for dropped points from a defensive howler on to Morelos for not scoring?

Well ask yourself this, if we take chances at one end, does a defensive howler cost us points? Inevitably not.

You have to remember that his overall game is very good. He's not a Boyd type where if he is not scoring he is doing nothing. He links up, he works hard and he does score goals. He's also easily our best striker. However, it is a worry at the easy chances he misses. It cost us a win at the Piggery for instance.

All strikers miss chances...and we have no strikers that are going to be more prolific than him is my view on it. I'd also be astounded if we could replace him with better for the £1million we paid. The best signing in the league bar none this season.

Got to be honest, OP you were chomping at the bit to have a go at Morelos when he went through his dry spell too, I remember the match threads. Now you can’t wait till he goes off form again so are citing him as a ‘problem’ for not taking all his chances, something few strikers do.

It sounds like you may have a bit of a personal dislike. Sorry if I’m wrong, but it always feels like your itching to have a go at the foreign lads in particular.

I love Candeias. He’s foreign.
I don’t like Alves and never have. Not because he’s foreign but because he’s another Barton, overhyped, overpaid and underperforming.
Pena I think you’ll all now agree with me was a disaster.
I’m a fan of Morelos, I just don’t think the sun shines out of his arse. I already stated he’s been a fantastic signing and conceded that he is young so would hopefully improve and iron out the things about his game that I think need work like heading, finishing, passing when he’s already done the hard part of the hold up play. He has a tough job being a lone striker, no one can deny that.

The kid is still in early days of learning his trade and the speed of our game. He will come good, don’t be harsh as we are building a team at this time. His frustration at being taken off was because he missed the chances. That’s a good sign.

Definitely and I was one of the many cheering him off and singing his name both when he scored and when he was leaving the field.

Morelos misses chances yes, but he's always there in the mixer for the next one. He also works his arse off. No striker playing at this level will take everything that comes his way and he'll improve with experience. Morelos has been an unbelievably good signing for me.

Give the lad a break. As others have said, he is young, composure and concentration will all come through time and experience. The fact that he is in there to miss the chances is the most important thing.

Ffs I’ll add this here since it seems to have gone over everyone’s heads...
It was not saying Morelos is a problem. Missed chances can be a problem as we’ve found out a few times this season which is why after beating Aberdeen 3 times & drawing with Celtic we are only ahead of Aberdeen on goal difference but that’s aimed at every player not just him. Of course he will miss chances, I just hope he starts to put the sitters away
It appears to me that he is not using the ancient adage, head to ball , not ball to head. He gets into great positions but forgets why he is there. The answer, lots of time, heading simple balls in variety into the net. His outfield play is good, distributes well and can take on opponents. A good lad.

OP, you do realise if he took most of these chances he'd be on about 40 goals and worth about 50 Damnbilly dollars. Unrealistic in the extreme.

Try and placate yourself with the fact he's finding these positions, because if he scores one or two, which he frequently does, then we'll still be quids in.

Give the lad a break. As others have said, he is young, composure and concentration will all come through time and experience. The fact that he is in there to miss the chances is the most important thing.

I’m not getting on his back as such. I’m saying he has so much more to offer if he gets these basic things right.
He could go from a £10m player to £20m

OP, you do realise if he took most of these chances he'd be on about 40 goals and worth about 50 Damnbilly dollars. Unrealistic in the extreme.

Try and placate yourself with the fact he's finding these positions, because if he scores one or two, which he frequently does, then we'll still be quids in.

He’s going to go for £15m at least if he ends the season like he started it.
That’s if he goes, he may well fancy the idea of being the man that fired us to 55 (if he doesn’t this year)

All good strikers miss chances. I actually think the one he scored was more difficult than those he missed. Perhaps all the work and effort he is doing with his back to goal and trying to create is impacting him later when he is flagging a bit. I think with Cummings alongside him we will hopefully see the two of them being able to focus in and around the box more, as midfield can create the chances for them.

I would rather have a guy who gets himself into 5/6 excellent scoring positions and converts 20%-30%, than someone who only finds himself in 1 or 2 scoring positions in a whole game. Which has been pretty much everyone we've had in recent years until Morelos.

On a separate note, where did this "lady's front bottom" thing come from? It's the worst patter I've ever heard on hear. And I've got one.

He does need to work on his heading, although I can see improvements there already. Hell, he scored with his head last night.

The only bad miss he had last night was that first half header at the back post. Other than that, I give him credit for getting into scoring positions rather than discredit for missing them with every other chance. And he also scored with a header later in the first half.

In addition, he plays a vital role bullying back lines and ploughing a lone furrow up front. Cummings possibly couldn't do that.

If there is any problem with Morelos, it is working out how we get him and Cummings on the pitch at the same time and feed them better.

I’m not getting on his back as such. I’m saying he has so much more to offer if he gets these basic things right.
He could go from a £10m player to £20m
Mate I know where you are coming from.
Some people on here don't get the point.
I have been saying this about Morelos for weeks now.A player can work as hard like a Trojan for 90 mins but if his job is to put the ball in the net and only takes a small percentage of chances ,then it costs points.Boyd in his first spell with us was a lazy player compared to Morelos but his scoring ratio was high.Mccoist missed a lot of chances but his ratio was high.
Just because we like the guy doesn't mean we must persist playing him.He definitely needs to work on his finishing.

If he took all the chances he'd be averaging a hat trick every game. I'm reading it as it's excellent he's getting into those positions this often rather than taking a negative view on it.

There is no doubt that he misses very good chances, but he doesn't hide away and always gives it 100%.

I would rather have a guy who gets himself into 5/6 excellent scoring positions and converts 20%-30%, than someone who only finds himself in 1 or 2 scoring positions in a whole game. Which has been pretty much everyone we've had in recent years until Morelos.

On a separate note, where did this "lady's front bottom" thing come from? It's the worst patter I've ever heard on hear. And I've got one.

I agree it’s a pain just let us say lady's front bottom

Damn it stop censoring me!!

I can see where the OP is coming from. It's not a one off game, he has missed countless absolute sitters over the course of the season. His finishing is extremely erratic, especially with his head. I'd have fancied Cummings to hit 2 or 3 last night if he had the chances Morelos had.

Morelos is more than a finisher though. His all round play and movement is very good and his ability to bully centre halves and hold the ball up is superb.

It would be interesting to see Cummings and Morelos together. Morelos would create a lot of space for Cummings to thrive in with the way he occupies defenders but the conundrum is Josh Windass. He's top drawer through the middle, his pace and movement is a nightmare to play against and gives us an ability to stretch teams that we wouldn't have with Morelos and Cummings up there.

It's Windass and one of the other two for me.

Morelos is young enough to improve his finishing. I think we should rest him a bit more also as he can look a bit tired towards the end of games. I like him, has a presence about him.

He’s 21, still learning, he’s top scorer in the league against 2 “world class” strikers in dembele and Sinclair..

If we can hold onto him he will be some player in a few years

Yet you started this thread and singled him out.Good job.

Being honest I though we missed him once he went off but his finishing is either magic or murder.

He has ability and he's only 21. Nowhere near ready for PL football so we will have him for the foreseeable, thankfully.

Back